Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Omaha, Neb. Fire Exam Info

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Omaha, Neb. Fire Exam Info

Title FIREFIGHTER
    Date Posted 11/18/2011
    Posting Method Open Competitive
    Application Deadline December 19, 2011
    Who Can Apply Any person who meets the qualifications and other requirements described below.
    Experience & Training
    Special Requirements EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING REQUIRED: A high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. Must be able to read and comprehend at an 11th grade level. Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license. Must be at least 18 years of age.

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must have far visual acuity of at least 20/30 binocular corrected. Far visual acuity uncorrected shall be at least 20/100 binocular for wearers of hard contacts or spectacles. Must be able to distinguish colors and be able to see peripherally with both eyes Must possess an EMT certificate (EMT B or higher) by the end of the probationary period. Must be able to work varying shifts, weekends, and holidays. Must be willing to submit (pre- or post-job offer) to a drug test, polygraph test, and background investigation. Must pass medicals and a psychological examination post job offer. Must be willing to submit to random drug testing after hire. Must be willing to sign an agreement not to consume any tobacco products, on or off-duty during the probationary period (1st year).

Description HOW TO APPLY: Completed City of Omaha employment applications must be submitted using the on-line application from the City website. Office hours (Monday to Friday, 8:00 am-4:30 pm). It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure that any and all required application materials and supplemental forms are received by the City of Omaha Human Resources Department by the stated deadline, regardless of how the materials are submitted.This means that if you submit your materials other than in person, including via computer, it is your responsibility to check and ensure that we have received the materials by the stated deadline. You may confirm receipt of any materials and forms by contacting the Human Resources Department. If the materials are not received in the Human Resources Department by the stated deadline, they will not be considered. There will be no exceptions to this rule.

REQUIRED FORMS: Application: including Applicant's Authorization to Release Information, Criminal Record Check Release, Credit Check, Confidential Applicant Log and ADA notice. The information requested on the Confidential Applicant Log is used for record keeping.

SALARY RANGE: $44204.16 - $62404.16 Annual

CONTACT POINTS: Address: City of Omaha, Human Resources Dept., 1819 Farnam, St., Suite 506, Omaha, NE 68183 Phone: (402) 444-5300 Fax: (402) 444-5317 Web: www.ci.omaha.ne.us/ Email: peremploy@ci.omaha.ne.us

NATURE OF WORK: This is skilled work in extinguishing fires and conducting rescue operations. Work involves the performance of duties at fire scenes to extinguish fires, safeguard lives, salvage property, prevent the recurrence of fires, and protect properties from the elements, vandalism, and theft. Work also involves the routine inspection and maintenance of fire apparatus, fire station facilities and fire fighting equipment, the performance of fire inspections, providing basic life support and assisting in providing advanced life support, training and drilling in the use of fire equipment and fire fighting techniques, and the performance of public relations activities. At times the work is performed in conditions of extreme temperatures and danger for prolonged periods of time during which time one's vision may be partially or totally obscured. An employee in this classification exercises some independence in the performance of duties and receives close supervision from a supervisor.

KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES: See the Class Specification for more details.

EMPLOYEE BENEFITS: For a complete list of Firefighter Benefits consult the 2011 Firefighter Recruitment Brochure

CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or proof of permanent residence or authorization to work. The City of Omaha reserves the right to conduct criminal history, driving record, reference and credit checks and a background investigation on applicants for employment. Successfully passing a criminal background review, reference check, and if applicable, a credit check, is required as a condition of employment. If applicable, the City will require that you successfully pass a review of the driver's license, driving abstract, a pre-employment drug test, a hearing test and a back screening examination as a condition of employment. Failure to provide the information requested in the Application process in a truthful, accurate and complete manner may result in disqualification, revocation of conditional employment or termination. APPLICANTS REQUIRING AN ACCOMMODATION FOR THE EXAMINATION BECAUSE OF A DISABILITY SHOULD ADVISE THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. THE CITY OF OMAHA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

Examination Multiple Choice examination will be January 5 or 6, 2012. Time and date will be scheduled at time of application. Place: University of Nebraska Omaha - CPACS Building, 60th & Dodge Street. Passing Points Multiple Choice test: 70%. Candidates who pass the multiple choice test will be invited to the next phase of the selection process, the physical ability. Physical Ability: test is pass or fail. The final score on the eligibility list will be 100% of the multiple choice score. For a listing of the steps in the selection process see the 2011 Firefighter Recruitment Brochure.
    Veteran's Points To claim 5 points for veterans preference, you must submit proof of service (such as a DD-214) that includes date of induction, date of honorable separation, and Social Security number. (You must have completed more than 180 consecutive days of active duty.) To receive an additional 5 points credit for disability, you must submit proof of eligibility from Veterans Administration dated within the last 12 months. These forms must be submitted to City of Omaha Human Resources by January 9, 2012.

Apply On-line
    https://prod.fadvhms.com/omaha/JobBo...63E03682DA7BC1

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

JHM
    Forum Member

Got my application in yesterday!

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 09:57 PM.

JHM
    Forum Member

Congrats on your medic license!

I'm an EMT-B, and will be coming from North Central Idaho. I'm going to be in Kansas City for the holidays and am going to work the Omaha test into my time down there.

Forum Member

did any one else think the application was really short? got my app in today!
    a fire fighter does his job because its his calling, NOT because he wants to be a hero.

Forum Member

just got my test date jan. 5 at 2:30 pm any one elsae get theirs?
    a fire fighter does his job because its his calling, NOT because he wants to be a hero.

JHM
    Forum Member

Jan 5 @ 1100

Good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

So does anyone know how many they are planing to hire? I am coming from Charleston SC and I am really excited about this city...

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 09:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my app in today and take the test on the 23rd of JAN. Good luck to everyone.

Got a couple of questions, hopefully someone can answer.

Does anyone know when they plan on starting an academy?

Do they have a residency requirement?

Forum Member

Self Deleted

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arharris83 View Post
    January 23rd??? I thought testing was the first week in January only, makes me wonder. No Idea on the academy start date probably next fall sometime if they actually have one. I know you don't have to live in the Omaha Metro Area but I think you have to live within 60 miles of the city but not exactly sure.
    According to the e-mail its so that out of state applicants don't have to make 2 trips in on month. We take the written on the 23rd and the CPAt ORIENTATION on the 24th on a provisional basis. Since the tests won't be scored yet.

Also you are not required to live with in the city limits of Omaha.
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 12-16-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Forum Member

Self Deleted

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Also you are not required to live with in the city limits of Omaha.
    No. You are not required to live within the city limits, or the state for that matter.

Forum Member

Self Deleted

Forum Member

Rumor mill has it, that there are 40 slots to be filled/hired.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 09:59 PM.

JHM
    Forum Member

I thought the test went pretty well. Hopefully I didn't screw up anything stupid. Now for the waiting game....

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Forum Member

Got Results from written today.

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Forum Member

yea one of my friends scored a 91.?? and one like a 85.something and one a 94.9

Forum Member

Self Deleted

JHM
    Forum Member

Did your results come in the mail?

I'm still waiting, but live across the country so it would make sense that it would take longer for me to get it if they mail out results.

Forum Member

Self Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information