Forum Member

Default Quit my job today. (non fire dept.)

I quit my part time job at a auto parts store today. I wanted to get an opinion from all of you, to compare that of an oral boards opinion. So on to the story; I was on the phone confirming that a sister store had a part, that I needed to pick up to take to a auto repair shop. So I'm on hold, for about 2 min. while the lady physically checks it being there. My managers walks up to me and sais "What are you doing?" with a bad attitude. I respond "Making sure the sister store has the part I need.". He replies, "Just give the phone to *****, go and if they don't have it, he'll call you as you're on your way so you can come back. You're wasting time just standing here on the phone.". So I respond, "No, it would be more of a waste of time for me to go, and have to come back because they don't have it.". He starts trying to explain to me that his way makes sense, when it obviously doesn't. So then he said, "So next time you ask me for a day off to go with the firefighters, I won't give it to you!". I replied, "Are you threatening me?!" and he sais "No, I'm just telling you next time you want something I'm not doing it.". I was furious at this point, so I replied, "F**k it! Don't give me any days off I ask for!". His reply, "Go home!". And that's when I quit. Theirs also other things that have happened in the past, but have nothing to do with this incident. He's just an all around a-hole to everyone who works there. I undestand the whole manager concept, but he treats and talks to people like they're nothing. Please let me know what you all think. Would this would hurt me in a oral interview? Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by Edgar N.; 11-21-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Member

Probably won't help.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Having hired many people in non-fire jobs, I can tell you that if an applicant left a prior job in circumstances like that, I'd write them off on the spot.

Jerk or not, he was your manager, and you don't give the orders. If he wants to waste the company's time and money, let him. The whole thing suggests you cannot work within a hierarchy and you make rash decisions.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Bad move....especially having to explain the situation. You lost your cool. That's never going to look good on any application. You should have walked away, put in your two weeks and been done with it.

That said, I had been fired from a job in the past. It was over a misunderstanding. I was hired back with the same company a bit down the road, by the person who was a step above the manager that fired me. I don't feel as though I was in the wrong and obviously the company doesn't either based on the fact that they hired me back, but it still sucks to have to explain what happened. I know I have a good recommendation from them and I am actually, to this day, on good terms with the manager that fired me.

If I were you. I'd go back and try and smooth things over. Get my job back. Suck it up for a bit and then quit with a proper two week notice.

How long had you been there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tann3r View Post
    Bad move....especially having to explain the situation. You lost your cool. That's never going to look good on any application. You should have walked away, put in your two weeks and been done with it.

That said, I had been fired from a job in the past. It was over a misunderstanding. I was hired back with the same company a bit down the road, by the person who was a step above the manager that fired me. I don't feel as though I was in the wrong and obviously the company doesn't either based on the fact that they hired me back, but it still sucks to have to explain what happened. I know I have a good recommendation from them and I am actually, to this day, on good terms with the manager that fired me.

If I were you. I'd go back and try and smooth things over. Get my job back. Suck it up for a bit and then quit with a proper two week notice.

How long had you been there?
    I've been there for a little over one year. It's too late to go back. And I don't want to deal with the guy anymore.

I totally understand all your statements on him being the manager. I probably did mess up. But is was 110% unhappy there. You also can't expect me to not get angry when someone threatens me with my education. If you're going to do me the favor of giving me certain days off to expand my education, don't use it again me later.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar N. View Post
    I've been there for a little over one year. It's too late to go back. And I don't want to deal with the guy anymore.

I totally understand all your statements on him being the manager. I probably did mess up. But is was 110% unhappy there. You also can't expect me to not get angry when someone threatens me with my education. If you're going to do me the favor of giving me certain days off to expand my education, don't use it again me later.
    Let me guess... this is your first job ever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken136 View Post
    Let me guess... this is your first job ever.
    Nope, I've had a few jobs and owned a business.

Forum Member

Not trying to be a jerk at all but this post makes you sound extremely immature. You were unhappy....you dealt with it in a way that no rational adult should. You let anger control your actions.

Shouldn't let your emotions control you.

Definitely not going to help you.

Forum Member

Not trying to be a jerk at all but this post makes you sound extremely immature. You were unhappy....you dealt with it in a way that no rational adult should. You let anger control your actions.

Shouldn't let your emotions control you.

Definitely not going to help you.
    You're not being a jerk at all, you're just doing me the favor and giving me your opinion. I can see how I'd look immature. I know I shouldn't have let my anger take over. Everyone makes mistakes, this one was mine. I'm not a bad guy. I've never been in trouble, I've had one traffic violation my whole life. I went to college and finished, held steady jobs and even owned a business. I just really hope when I put an app. in or get an oral that they can see the good rather than that one bad decision.

Forum Member

You're not being a jerk at all, you're just doing me the favor and giving me your opinion. I can see how I'd look immature. I know I shouldn't have let my anger take over. Everyone makes mistakes, this one was mine. I'm not a bad guy. I've never been in trouble, I've had one traffic violation my whole life. I went to college and finished, held steady jobs and even owned a business. I just really hope when I put an app. in or get an oral that they can see the good rather than that one bad decision.
    You never know.
    This could turn out to be a non issue. You quit on your own terms meaning you don't have to check the "yes" box on the "have you ever been terminated or asked to resign" question. Depending on the relationship you have with the business owner or how the business operates it may never surface that you left on bad terms. It's a mistake. You realize that. If it comes up, deal with it. If it doesn't, consider yourself lucky. Just learn from it.

Forum Member

You never know.
    This could turn out to be a non issue. You quit on your own terms meaning you don't have to check the "yes" box on the "have you ever been terminated or asked to resign" question. Depending on the relationship you have with the business owner or how the business operates it may never surface that you left on bad terms. It's a mistake. You realize that. If it comes up, deal with it. If it doesn't, consider yourself lucky. Just learn from it.
    I will definitely own up to it if it comes up in a process. Thanks a lot for your feedback. I appreciate it!

Forum Member

Most important, (like stated above) is be honest about it if it comes up. Dont try to lie or make it sound different than it was. Judging from your posts you wouldnt try that anyways. Everyone makes a mistake or has a lapse in judgment. Make it your goal to never let that happen again and I think you'll be fine. Some managers can be real a-holes, I guess we just all have to accept that it sucks.

Forum Member

Honestly as everyone has said, this will look bad. He is your manager, and even if he directs you to do something that you think is a waste, it's your duty to listen to direction. You can provide your input if you think you have a better idea, but once he overides it, then you should have just listened to him.

So then he said, "So next time you ask me for a day off to go with the firefighters, I won't give it to you!". I replied, "Are you threatening me?!" and he sais "No, I'm just telling you next time you want something I'm not doing it."
    You should have ended the conversation at this point. Once he said that, you should have nicely said "thank you for the feedback, and then followed his directions. Then you should have contacted HR or his GM. That is a threat and not the way to treat an employee or speak to them. A nice call to HR would have taken care of things and you would still have your job and not have to explain this situation at all.

Forum Member

I quit my part time job at a auto parts store today. I wanted to get an opinion from all of you, to compare that of an oral boards opinion. So on to the story; I was on the phone confirming that a sister store had a part, that I needed to pick up to take to a auto repair shop. So I'm on hold, for about 2 min. while the lady physically checks it being there. My managers walks up to me and sais "What are you doing?" with a bad attitude. I respond "Making sure the sister store has the part I need.". He replies, "Just give the phone to *****, go and if they don't have it, he'll call you as you're on your way so you can come back. You're wasting time just standing here on the phone.". So I respond, "No, it would be more of a waste of time for me to go, and have to come back because they don't have it.".Mistake number one. When given an order, you do it, you dont argue about it, you dont suggest alternatives, you just do it. He starts trying to explain to me that his way makes sense, when it obviously doesn't. So then he said, "So next time you ask me for a day off to go with the firefighters, I won't give it to you!". I replied, "Are you threatening me?!" Mistake number two. It wasn't a threat. A threat would be "do as I say or I will kick your ***."and he sais "No, I'm just telling you next time you want something I'm not doing it.". I was furious at this point, Mistake number 3. Why get furious? It was your orblem to begin with for not following orders. so I replied, "F**k it! Don't give me any days off I ask for!". His reply, "Go home!". And that's when I quit.So if an officer on a fireground gives you an order that you dont like, are you going to get sand in your vagina and quit then, too? Theirs also other things that have happened in the past, but have nothing to do with this incident. He's just an all around a-hole to everyone who works there. I undestand the whole manager concept, but he treats and talks to people like they're nothing. You sound young, so take a bit of advice: There are a-hole supervisors everywhere. You think getting into a career department is going to be all flowers and cuddly soft furry pets and holding hands??? There are ahole supervisors in the fire service too!!! Please let me know what you all think. Would this would hurt me in a oral interview? Thank you for reading.
    I certainly would not bring the incident up unless if specifically questioned about it. Let them lead you into the question, like: "Candidate, have you ever been fired from a job?" Candidate: "Yes. A Part-time auto parts delivery position." And then let them go further if they so desire, which they probably will.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

You quit, you were not fired, so there is very little chance that this will ever come up in an interview. It was a part time job at a car parts store, did you expect them to treat you like the CEO and give you the key to the executive wash room? As long as it was not your gas you were using to drive over there, who cares? One might have figured it would have been nice to go for a drive and get away from the mananger if he was as bad as you say.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Your manager was a jerk, but sometimes so are a lot of the people we run on. Is how you dealt with this typical of how you normally do things or just a one time thing? Everyone can reach their limit, but it seemed like you are somewhat to blame over how quickly it blew up.

I too, would be surprised if this came up on an oral board, but have something thought out in case it does and don't try to hide it.

Good luck
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Here is the way I see it. You were being disciplined for having a poor attitude. That's what your manager was doing when he sent you home. In lieu of being disciplined, you quit. I agree with the others who stated this does not look good. Quitting in lieu of being disciplined (potentially fired) is a huge black mark.

This probably won't come up in an interview (although it may). Either way, it will certainly come up in a background examination.

More importantly, how would you react when given an order by a Captain or Lieutenant that you do not agree with? Would you behave in the same manner? This is why we complete a thorough background investigation. You are a worker bee and are expected to do as you are told. You are not in charge. This is a poor reflection on you. Granted, the supervisor may have acted unprofessionally. He is your boss and will have an opportunity to tell the investigator his side of the story.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

It will warrant further investigation from a BI, and I imagine he will discover your boss is a moron. Background investigators aren't ogres. If you're a good guy they'll be able to read between the lines.

Based on personal experience I don't think it's deal killer; ensure you take accountability for your actions and keep your nose clean and you could be OK. It would be wise for you to go back and make amends for YOUR role in the situation.

I was fired from a job several years ago for telling a coworker to pack sand (different choice of words). She was a complete idiot, and was later fired. I went back to the manager and made amends. He gave me a positive character reference. I was hired with no issues.

Forum Member

Thank you all for the responses! It's greatly appreciated. Have a happy Thanksgiving all!

Forum Member

At the oral board level, they just want to see how well you can handle questions under fire. Don't try to explain it away or make your previous employer look bad (ie: work on your first post and its story.) At the background level, they will weigh any recurring instances or patterns against your age and good behavior. 18? Probably not a big deal. 30? Your history speaks volumes for them...

While yes, you can check that little box that says have you been forced to resign, you can't check the 'yes' box of "quitting in light of discipline." You also won't able to check that little box that asks if you've ever "quit without giving adequate notice" which is usually quitting before your name is taken off the schedule (2 weeks.) Of course, the latter two questions are not on all background investigation questionaires.

In keeping with the trend of advice, the boss's word is God. You do as he says, especially in a para-military, rank-order system like the fire service. Kisses and sunshine are not handed out at fire scenes. Remember, boss = God. When you're the boss, you can stay on hold with the sister store all day long.

Forum Member

When you "quit", did you turn in a resignation letter ? For a bit of peace of mind, I suggest finding what they put in your personal employment file. Because down the road a few years from now when you're in some processes and they call that employer, Im pretty sure their going to pull your file for reference. Would be nice to know they went with what you said vs. their version of the story. Lastly, as always, theres 3 sides to every story.

Forum Member

Come to Chicago
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Thread Information