Thread: Joining local

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Hmmm........

Ronin, If you don't mind me asking, where were you in Md?? No problem, just curious. And, thanks for starting this thread. Sometimes I forget just how good we have it here. I don't know of a single VFD in Maryland that has a waiting list. On the other hand, Your (FREE) training is provided by the State or County, at their facility, and shared equally with everyone else. Personally, I think that Training on a area basis where the Class has folks from different VFDs is better than having a "Just us" Class for each VFD..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Ronin, If you don't mind me asking, where were you in Md?? No problem, just curious. And, thanks for starting this thread. Sometimes I forget just how good we have it here. I don't know of a single VFD in Maryland that has a waiting list. On the other hand, Your (FREE) training is provided by the State or County, at their facility, and shared equally with everyone else. Personally, I think that Training on a area basis where the Class has folks from different VFDs is better than having a "Just us" Class for each VFD..........
    No problem. I was a member of Lineboro Volunteer Fire Dept. in Carroll County. I did actually get all my training there for free through the dept (FF1, Hazmat, Rescue tech etc.) I guess I'm just not used to being in a much bigger area where volunteers are not so needed. I remember when I joined I simply strolled into the monthly meeting and was voted in. Signed up for FF1 and as soon as that was done I got my turnouts and was ready to ride. And I do agree that having a county location for training was great for meeting people from other departments in the county.

It's all good though, I will jump through the hoops and wait for my turn in August to go through the Iowa training. Getting my Iowa EMT-B from Jan-May anyway so at least I will have that. On that note, a word to the wise... Don't let your EMT expire. I could have kept the refreshers up and simply transferred it to Iowa but now I gotta start over. Can't wait to get the EMT and start medic school shortly after that.
    Last edited by roninwarrior; 11-23-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: addition

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Ok..........

Copy That.......... I have a couple of guys from my place who moved up across the Mason-Dixon just above Co. 7's area...... Different World, that's for sure. Good Luck with your situation, keep us posted.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information