Forum Member

Default Cant seem to get over the hump...

I have tested at probably about 6+ places but can't seem to get over the 90 percentile hump... Does anybody have any techniques/books they use to study as far as civil service testing? I have a couple of books, barrons fire test book but it doesn't seem to have the stuff in it that I see on civil service exams. Thank You

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    I have tested at probably about 6+ places but can't seem to get over the 90 percentile hump... Does anybody have any techniques/books they use to study as far as civil service testing? I have a couple of books, barrons fire test book but it doesn't seem to have the stuff in it that I see on civil service exams. Thank You
    Some of the stuff that I'm seeing is more of the human relations type. Unfortunately those just take practicing over and over. I haven't found a really great resource for those yet. I use Barrons and another that I can't recall. Just keep at it and keep testing. You'll get better.

I've taken about 35 and I started in the high 80's and low 90's and now I'm seeing the high 90's. It sucks, but keep plugging.

Good luck
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Google who is hiring,and what kind of test is being used, most big cities use E.B JACOBS FSBA. When I took my test we were given a 8 page practice book, but I found a large practice manual on the Boston city website, about 100+ pages. Best of luck .

Forum Member

I have a fire recruit account and I check it like 5 times daily haha I test every in Ohio but like I said I can't seem to get in that top 20, it sucks

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Forum Member

I know if I get in the top 20 I am not guaranteed a job but it just gives me confidence that if I do well on one test I'll do well on another. I have my firefighter II, Paramedic, ACLS, PALS, HazMat and a few other certs, just need to get my sh*t together on these exams

Forum Member

For advice and encouragement go to eatstress.com Capt. Bob is who runs the sight and is a great resource.

For books use Don McNea

Good Luck!

Forum Member

Go test, then go take some more, then some more. Many people have taken wayyyyy more than 6 tests before getting hired.

Why only limit yourself to Ohio? I took more than 10, and tested in multiple states before getting hired.

With your medic, are the depts you are applying for ALS providers? With your medic, you should get preference points if the dept runs ALS. With that said, your medic cert should be a golden ticket. If you don't have your National Registry, I would highly recommend that.

Forum Member

Yes I do have registry and I am not only limiting myself to just Ohio, I did in the past but now I am looking else where. I haven't really decided yet which states I would consider to begin testing in.

MembersZone Subscriber

My book titled Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam is exactly what you need. It will TEACH YOU how to complete all of the math questions (algebra, division, fractions, rounding numbers, percentages etc), as well as how to figure out mechanical advantage, inclined plane, gears and pulleys. It also has spacial relations, map reading as well as a host of other common qustions encountered on fire department exams.
    Good luck!

Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

benjamin29

Lightbulb

I have a few civil service questions that seem to be in the spotlight these days.

How do you answer the strongly agree, agree, dont know, disagree, strongly disagree questions?
    Ive heard to disregard the middle choices and only use the strongly options. Any input?

Human relations questions have been talked about on here already but does anyone have input? What
    are they looking for? Capt bob has good interview tips for human relations, written tests apply with this method?

Just looking for some tips on these civil service tests as a lot of NE depts only use the written to rank.

Thread Information