Forum Member

Default Stair Master training

I have a weighted vest and we have a stair master at the Y the exact same kind used for the CPAT. Any ideas on how to better prepare for the stairmaster, I have tried jumping on it for 10min and starting really fast and gradually slowing down but after 3 minutes I'm shot. Also does anyone know how to set the Stairmaster to the CPAT setting?

Thanks Guys!!!!

bw3
    Forum Member

I dont have a weighted vest, but this is what I do. I do 20 mins on the stairmaster, the 1st 3-5 mins I have it on a low warmup setting usually level 3-4. I gradually up the level increasing the steps per min. When I hit the 15 min mark I up it to the 60 steps a min for 3 mins, after the 3 min I up it again to around 75 for the last 2 mins. By this time your legs are on fire. I then jump off and walk on the tredmill for another 10 mins to cool off.
    Also, try to run the days you dont do the stairmaster.

I dont know what kind of machine you are using, but on mine there is a level up button that you can push that ups the steps per min. I believe level 6 is 60 steps per min.

Good luck!

Forum Member

I do exactly what bw3 says. Try it at level 7. (There's not much difference between 6 and 7.) That will put you at around 75 flights of stairs after about 20 minutes or 100 flights total after 30 minutes (including your 5-10 minute warm-up).

What amount of weight are you using on you weight-vest?
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. —Chief Edward F. Croker

Forum Member

I have a 40pd vest, I was on a budget and that was the best I could do at the time, thanks for the tips guys!!!

Forum Member

I heard that either up or down arrow plus 911 should set it to the fitness test. It's been a while since I've looked at one. I trained for it by putting 50-60# in a backpack and setting it to the fitness test.

Forum Member

Ok so I've been doing the stairmaster training like BW3 does but after two minutes or so my shins are really sore, are they not stretched enough or are my legs jsut not conditioned??

Forum Member

Shin splints are the result of foot pain, radiating into the tibia. Try different foot wear. When I wear boots (i.e. ankle support) the splints go away for me.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. —Chief Edward F. Croker

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by geoff2448 View Post
    Ok so I've been doing the stairmaster training like BW3 does but after two minutes or so my shins are really sore, are they not stretched enough or are my legs jsut not conditioned??
    Both. Or it could be your shoes. My feet are sensitive to change in running shoes.

If you only have a 40 lb vest, surely you can find a backpack. Put that backpack on with weights in it. Better yet, if you can find 2 back packs, one on the front, one on your back to help distribute the weight. Then fill em up to a total of 75 lbs.

The stair step is the killer. If you can get off without jello legs and your face isnt blue, you should be just fine. Get on the stair mill for longer than 3:20. That way in the CPAT, the 3 min will be like a warm up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-ALS View Post
    I heard that either up or down arrow plus 911 should set it to the fitness test. It's been a while since I've looked at one. I trained for it by putting 50-60# in a backpack and setting it to the fitness test.
    I had no idea until I saw your post a few days ago. THANKS for the tip. I went to the big box gym (rarely do, quite interesting to say the least) and found the Stair Master. If you hit the "UP" arrow then "9" and "1" then Enter... it starts the CPAT test. 20 second warm up then the 3 minute test. Now only if I can find a vest. I'm thinking for now I may just take 2 35lb KB's or DB's and do the CPAT test while holding those in my hand. CPAT scheduled in early 2012.
    Last edited by emode; 12-02-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    The stair step is the killer. If you can get off without jello legs and your face isnt blue, you should be just fine. Get on the stair mill for longer than 3:20. That way in the CPAT, the 3 min will be like a warm up.
    So true! Did the first CPAT Jan 2011. Felt fine once I got off the steps and the proctors were taking off the shoulder weight. Once I started walking to the hose, the legs felt jellowy until I grabed the hose and did the sprint. Somehow they were solid again.

Forum Member

When I train for a CPAT I do the stairmaster for 5 minutes at 60spm with my 70lb weight vest then I hop off and do 36" jump ups (usually 15-20) followed by 8-10 pullups. I do this for 5 sets on my cardio days (rotate cardio day/lift day/cardio day/lift day; off 1-2 days per week). Haven't failed a CPAT yet.

Note: I take the weight vest off before the jumps and pull ups though I wish I didn't have to..

Thread Information