Thread: Live-In Move?

Forum Member

Question Live-In Move?

I am a volunteer in Baltimore. I am starting a live in position soon at my station until I finish college in the spring of 2013.

My goal is to move out west to Colorado and settle down there after college. I've noticed that most of the stations in the area where I am looking (Boulder Area) are volunteer/paid combined.

I had been throwing around an idea of maybe getting in touch with one of these stations and seeing if it is possible to apply to the station, and talk about maybe a live in position for moving out there (of course until I find a job and place to stay out there.) I would obviously stick with the department while living there, but it would really help with the first steps of moving out there.

First of all, I'm not even sure if live-in positions in Colorado are even common.

Also, seeing it from the department's perspective, I would definitely understand that it would be difficult to go along with it. They wouldn't know me and it would be tough to apply with me not being out there. There would be plenty of other reasons for them to say no.

All I want to know is does this even sound plausible?
    Any other ideas on what I should do?
    :-J Remmy

Forum Member

First of all, check and see what the requirements to be a firefighter in Colorado. Then just contact the depts. and ask your question, the worst that can happen is they'd say no.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only department in Boulder County I know of that had a live-in program was Rocky Mountain Fire. The last time I was aware of that existing was probably close to 10 years ago.

There are several combination departments here though and a couple that have part-time FF positions (Mountain View Fire is the one I'm thinking of).

For the most part the dividing line is the mountains. Most of the mountain departments are fully volunteer (maybe a paid chief and 1 or 2 other paid personnel) and the plains/city departments are either fully career or combination.

Departments to check into are: Louisville, Lafayette, Rocky Mountain Fire, Mountain View, and Boulder Rural. They are all fairly busy combination departments.

Hope this helps, send me a private message if there's anything else you need help with.

Forum Member

Thanks a lot guys.

Those were actually the ones I have been looking into. I wouldn't be pursuing this until probably next summer since I have to finish school first.

Rocky Mountain was one of the main ones that I had looked into.

A lot of the sites are saying they need Colorado Fire 1 Certification. If I have pro-qual, would I have to take Fire 1 and EMT-B over again?
    Last edited by Jay Remmy; 11-27-2011 at 02:26 AM.

Forum Member

I am a volunteer with the Durango Fire Department (south west colorado) and we have a few live in stations. Since quite a few of our volunteers want to take advantage of these stations, I would say it would be hard for you to come in and just jump right into it...

But I have been applying for some FF jobs on the frontrange (denver area) and I feel your pain about landing a job and finding work to compensate for the commitment!

Goodluck to you!

Forum Member

To find out if your certs (FFI, etc.) will transfer to Colorado, you will have to find out what entity does the Colorado Firefighter Certification. You should inquire with them and see what type of reprocity they have. Also find out if your current certification(s) have any national certification standing. You maybe able to gain certification through reprocity.

Same goes for EMT, etc. Find out which Colorado entity does the EMS certifications. There maybe a chance for reprocity.

As far as applying, go for it. Most departments conduct a background check, before accepting applicants. If you have nothing to hide, do not sweat it. If you do (DUI, etc.), then be upfront about it.

You would be considered an outsider, if you join any FD. Attend meetings, training, callouts and get to know the other members. Before long, you will fit in. You may have hobbies that the other members may have, such as skiing, hunting, etc.. If you served in the military, this can be a bond with other members who also served.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Forum Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

I've been contacting the Colorado Division of Fire Safety (Pro-Board accredited agency) but haven't heard back from them yet

So far it looks like I am able to transfer my certs in one way or another.

Thread Information