Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Exclamation Equipment/Tool Storage and deployment

This thread is to discuss innovative ways of storing, organizing, and deploying equipment on rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by tedwolford View Post
    This thread is to discuss innovative ways of storing, organizing, and deploying equipment on rigs.

With that being said, why didn't you do just that, instead of enlighting us with your statement?? :confused

BTW, we do have our method of carrying tools and appliances on all of our rides, which provides the members the best way to do their jobs and make the appropriate tools and appliances available in a fashionably way.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

open door, place tool in compartment, close door pretty simple. In some instances we place the tool in some sort of rated holding device, such as exterior mounted pike poles or halligan bars/axes in the cab. To deploy the tool, open the compartment and pick up the tool or take it out of its holding device.

tedwolford,

You might want to post some pictures of what you are thinking about.

Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Well, being from Georgia we don't pay noo attention to that thar NFPA and OSHA.

What we do on ar trucks is throw a couple of un-mated axes and halligans in the back of the cab on the trucks, we don't bother with none of them thar approved holding devices. We perty much do the same thang with the compartments, we just throw the stuff in thar. To make it faster to get thu ladder offen the truck we just lock it with one of the holders, we leave the othern unlocked. Man we's fast as greased lightnin when ladderin a buildin. We lost a ladder onced, but we just picked up a new ladder from the Home Depot, arrow ladders is the best.

Lessee, oh yeah. On ar engines we just through the extry hose in a couple of the rear compartments. We don't even bother rollin the stuff, takes too long to do and is a pain to roll out on the scene. We leave the nawzzles on thar too. We also just throw ar hydrant stuff in the rear compartment, no bag needed. That bag is heeeeeeaaaavy. We just take what we think we need, most the time we gets it right.

*BTW, this was a joke and only a joke. If anyone responds to this and takes it seriously, I'll just laugh at them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Organized.

I'm with ya. I just throw my empty beer cans and fast food bags into the back of my pick up. If you drive real fast, you don't have to do much to clean it out in six months or so.

Also a joke!

We just purchased a new Metrostar Engine from Metalfab and are looking at what we can do to make the compartments cleaner. Our existing rigs have the gear in on shelves. Would love to see some innovative pictures of how others set up their rigs. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jlracing18; 01-01-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlracing18 View Post
    We just purchased a new Metrostar Engine from Metalfab and are looking at what we can do to make the compartments cleaner. Our existing rigs have the gear in on shelves. Would love to see some innovative pictures of how others set up their rigs. Thanks in advance.
    Here's some of ours. This thing usually only lets me send three at a time and I have nine to send (actually, I have a lot more), so bear with me. Some of them have been changed over the past couple of years, but the principle remains the same.

Also, I don't know what sequence they will come through in. And, it's telling me that some of the pictures I want to post are already in other threads, and it won't let me post them again. I'll try to find a workaround.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Next group.

Forum Member

Last of the bunch. I have two more pictures that I wanted to send. I even renamed them, but the system is still telling me that I already have them in a different thread, and won't let me repost them. One is of the Engineer's compartment, and is in a thread called Roll up doors, from January 5, 2011. The other is of how our stabilizing struts are carried. It's in a thread called Rescue Strut Mounting Ideas? ? of October 21, 2010.

Thanks for the great pics. we have talked about using Pac Tools handlelok and toollok stuff and it looks like it worked well for you. You hate to invest $ in something that won't work the way you think it will.
    It is nice to have the room to make homes for tools and be organized.

Regarding the pumper in the above photos, it should be noted that there was a small amount of "designing the compartments around the equipment" and not the other way around.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thanks for the great pics. we have talked about using Pac Tools handlelok and toollok stuff and it looks like it worked well for you. You hate to invest $ in something that won't work the way you think it will.
    Slightly off topic, but we have had great luck with the cheap Quickfist clamps that are like $2 each and mount with a single self tapping screw. They are out go to now for mounting hand tools that will fit in a compartment.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Regarding the pumper in the above photos, it should be noted that there was a small amount of "designing the compartments around the equipment" and not the other way around.
    Buff is quite correct there. Although we didn't know everything down to the last detail, we had concepts in mind at the time of spec writing. Our body design is somewhat unusual, but it was set up for what we had to carry and how we wanted to carry it. The compartments on the officer's side mirror the driver's side. The ground ladder complement includes the two 24' ladders that you see plus a 10' attic ladder under them. On the other side is a three section 35' and a 14' roof ladder. The 13' Little Giant in the right front compartment gives a total of 120' of ground ladders.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 01-02-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks Folks for the tips. We did not have much time in the way of design input on this one. Spec went out in July, approved in September, delivered in December. We want to setup compartments with a purpose on this first out Engine, vent items, forcible entry items, hydrant pack, etc.... not the way we did on past Engines with small compartments. Nice thing is with this rig we have room to do so with tall compartments and we like the idea of tool homes as you know something is missing.

Forum Member

Cool open view boards

I really like these open mesh tool boards I am seeing around the PNW. you swing the board out and you can see through it to keep an eye on the approaching traffic and the whole scene in general. Also they do not catch as much wind so they are a lot safer out here in the mountain passes.

I don't work for any of these guys but one is called gear grid. Maybe they could help

I have a tool shed with me on all calls

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I have a tool shed with me on all calls
    Have you thought about weightwatchers ?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Have you thought about weightwatchers ?
    Like Duh, where would I keep the tools then?

This is our new rescue pumper...

Driver side, pump compartment...
    Name:  DSCN0169.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  30.1 KB

compartment above rear wheel...back wall opens and has RIT Pack and ropes...
    Name:  DSCN0168.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  30.4 KB

drivers side rear compartment...
    Name:  DSCN0167.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  26.9 KB
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information