Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you preparing for the Charlotte exam, go to the link below for exam prep. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/charlotte_fi...exam_pre1.html

www.fireprep.com

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 12-03-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireschool View Post
    For those of you preparing for the Charlotte exam, go to the link below for exam prep. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/charlotte_fi...exam_pre1.html

www.fireprep.com

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002
    I'm thinking about purchasing this exam prep. Has anyone used Don McNea and willing to vouch for its effectiveness? Also, I spoke with CFD recruiting this week and the officer I spoke with said Charlotte recently switched to a different testing company from the one they've been using. Different test format altogether. I wonder if Don McNea is keyed to this updated exam format?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    Coming from PG county MD I'm definitely interested to know....on average how many calls would you say you all run a shift at busier stations(slower stations too), and how often do you all run fire? The fire you do run I take it is mostly high rises? Not very familiar with the area. Have you all gotten raises recently? Do they match 401K(i know i have a 457b here im sure its the same thing) contributions? Whats the cost of living like there compared to the DC area?
    The busiest company, Engine 15, ran something like 4800 calls in FY 2010. I work at a slower firehouse, where we ran a little over 2000 calls (2030, I believe) in that same period. That's roughly 6 calls per shift. Most firehouses in the city run a similar number of calls, the few exceptions being the far outlying stations, or the extremely busy ones.

In terms of fire, CFD assigns a large number of apparatus/personnel to each fire call, so you do get to go to a decent amount, although the amount of fun you have depends on how late into the incident you arrive (3rd or 4th due vs 1st or 2nd). We're a fairly low fire-duty station, and I've still averaged going to 1 working fire (minimum room and contents, none of this counting a pot on the stove and cabinet damage as a "working fire" nonsense) a month since I've been on. Your average is of course helped when you're detailed ("Timed Out") to busier companies. Of course, some of the busier companies are going to have more fire duty. Some don't, their high numbers the result of medical calls, fire alarms, etc.

There aren't many high rise fires. Outside of downtown, Charlotte is largely suburban/single-family housing, with a few ghettos and some large industrial areas.

Raises? Hah. We received a one-time, 1% raise this year. Wages have been stagnant recently. The city matches 3% of your 401k, and their is a 457 option, which is not matched. The cost of living is decent, especially compared to DC. It's even less if you want to live in Gaston, Lincoln, Cabarrus or Union County. While most FFs don't, I live in the city limits, have an extremely affordable mortgage and live in a safe neighborhood, which Charlotte has plenty of, regardless of what some would have you believe.

That should cover what you asked. As always, feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Forum Member

@battlecomedown: thanks for the info! Sent you a PM asking a few more questions. Thanks man

Forum Member

Hey battle, where are you assigned?

Forum Member

Ok, this question is directed to kyhunter42 or battlecomedown:

Do either of you have any idea if CFD actually plans to hire from the 2012 exam? Is there still a staffing need after the 2011 classes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    Ok, this question is directed to kyhunter42 or battlecomedown:

Do either of you have any idea if CFD actually plans to hire from the 2012 exam? Is there still a staffing need after the 2011 classes?
    Yes they do. With over 1000 firefighers and a 25 year retirment they must hire every year to keep the current staffing levels without using a lot of overtime.

Forum Member

did everyone get an email stating their test date or anything after they submitted their app? My friend said he did but I didn't...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    did everyone get an email stating their test date or anything after they submitted their app? My friend said he did but I didn't...
    After I applied online I received an e-mail stating: "Thank you for submitting your application for employment with The Charlotte Fire Department....You will receive an e-mail the week of December 12, 2012 with your assigned time to sit for the test."

Be on the lookout next week for your exact time slot.

Forum Member

Glad to hear they changed the test, this will be the second time I am coming to take the test. The only good thing is I am coming from Charleston SC so it doesn't cost to much for me to take this test...

Forum Member

After I applied online I received an e-mail stating: "Thank you for submitting your application for employment with The Charlotte Fire Department....You will receive an e-mail the week of December 12, 2012 with your assigned time to sit for the test."

Be on the lookout next week for your exact time slot.
    Thanks I'll have to check with them to make sure mine worked I know there was a message saying things were back up and running when i put my app in..

Forum Member

Mine said that same thing "You will get it the 12th" I'll be coming from Ohio, kind of a haul but not too bad!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Mine said that same thing "You will get it the 12th" I'll be coming from Ohio, kind of a haul but not too bad!
    Hey, me too. Good luck man

Forum Member

Hey, me too. Good luck man
    sent you a PM

Forum Member

Does Charlotte usually get a lot of applicants from out of state? Looking at their website I kind of got the impression that they seem out-of-state friendly and was just curious if they place any emphasis of hiring locally or if it doesn't really matter too much. Either way plan on taking the test and seeing what happens. Good luck to everyone

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by brk2733 View Post
    Does Charlotte usually get a lot of applicants from out of state? Looking at their website I kind of got the impression that they seem out-of-state friendly
    Kinda got the same impression, coming over from mid TN so not that far of a trip.

Forum Member

Coming from East TN here...Hopefully there will not be any snow storms around the 21st or I-40 is going to be all kinds of fun coming across the park..Lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brk2733 View Post
    Does Charlotte usually get a lot of applicants from out of state? Looking at their website I kind of got the impression that they seem out-of-state friendly and was just curious if they place any emphasis of hiring locally or if it doesn't really matter too much. Either way plan on taking the test and seeing what happens. Good luck to everyone
    Charlotte is very good with hiring people who are from out of state. 3/4 of my probie class was out of state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hookhitter View Post
    Charlotte is very good with hiring people who are from out of state. 3/4 of my probie class was out of state.
    Thats awesome to hear.

Forum Member

Does anyone know the testing format for the written exam? I heard that it was changed recently. Anyone know specifics?

Thread Information