Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default About the CPAT

About the CPAT...

It's my understanding that those of us who get invited to take the CPAT will have an opportunity to pass it during the practice/timed evolutions in April. In other words, if we successfully complete the CPAT during the practice rounds, we don't have to return for the final CPAT test date in May or June. Is this correct??

Forum Member

That is correct. For the CPATyou get the option to either sign a paper saying you will not attend the 2 orientations (in which you can practice station) along with the 2 practice tests. OR you will attend ALL orientations and practice runs. If you fail a practice run you have another one, and if you fail that one you still have the "actual run". If you pass either of the practice runs you do not have to take the "actual"

Forum Member

Does anyone know if a valid CPAT card is accepted in lieu of taking the test through Charlotte? I don't have a problem going down there and taking it but I pay $100+ to keep my card updated every year and thought I may put it to use.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerDanger14 View Post
    Does anyone know if a valid CPAT card is accepted in lieu of taking the test through Charlotte? I don't have a problem going down there and taking it but I pay $100+ to keep my card updated every year and thought I may put it to use.
    i've never even heard of a "CPAT card"....every department i know of that does the cpat will recognize a certification as long as its within 1 year of your completion...can't speak for charlotte though.

Forum Member

I just called and they said you have to take their CPAT regardless if you have a card or not.

Forum Member

Wondering if the CPAT is held at Charlotte's Fire Training Academy? If not at the Training Facility, then where? Just asking because I'm traveling from out of state and I'd like find a hotel nearby (assuming I passed the written exam of course). Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    Wondering if the CPAT is held at Charlotte's Fire Training Academy? If not at the Training Facility, then where? Just asking because I'm traveling from out of state and I'd like find a hotel nearby (assuming I passed the written exam of course). Thanks
    It's held at the Fire Academy on Shopton Road.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire34fighter View Post
    i've never even heard of a "CPAT card"....every department i know of that does the cpat will recognize a certification as long as its within 1 year of your completion...can't speak for charlotte though.
    the company I take the CPAT through each year gives their certifications out in the form of a card (much like a liscence or ID etc), which is why I used the term "CPAT Card". By the above post looks like Charlotte doesn't accept it.

Forum Member

I find it suprising that you have to take "their" CPAT if you've passed one within the past year.....I've never heard of this before either..CPAT is a nationally recognized cert which leaves me to believe they have their own test?

Forum Member

I find it suprising that you have to take "their" CPAT if you've passed one within the past year.....I've never heard of this before either..CPAT is a nationally recognized cert which leaves me to believe they have their own test?
    You have to take the CPAT at Charlotte training center. It is the CPAT, not something the CFD designed. It shouldn't be suprising that they don't accept the CPAT from a different place. I passing time can be negotiated at some private testing facitlities.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter42 View Post
    You have to take the CPAT at Charlotte training center. It is the CPAT, not something the CFD designed. It shouldn't be suprising that they don't accept the CPAT from a different place. I passing time can be negotiated at some private testing facitlities.
    really? CPAT is a nationally regulated test governed by the IAFF, CFFJAC and IAFC....the passing time is 10 minutes and 20 seconds and it shouldn't varry. If a department holds a CPAT they are held to the same rules as every other department giving a CPAT...that's why I've never heard of a department not recognizing a CPAT.
    Last edited by fire34fighter; 01-28-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Forum Member

really? CPAT is a nationally regulated test governed by the IAFF, CFFJAC and IAFC....the passing time is 10 minutes and 20 seconds and it shouldn't varry. If a department holds a CPAT they are held to the same rules as every other department giving a CPAT...that's why I've never heard of a department not recognizing a CPAT.
    @fire34fighter... I'm sure Charlotte has its reasons for administering its own CPAT. Namely, it puts everyone on the same playing field by ensuring that the test was proctored fairly & consistently for all applicants and that the quality and setup of the evolutions are the same as well. Although the CPAT is a nationally regulated test and SHOULDN'T VARY in the way its administered from one department to the next, there is no way to guarantee that. I also think Charlotte Fire uses the CPAT to gauge your commitment, fitness level, and preparation - which may play a role in their decision to select candidates for interview.

Are you concerned that you won't pass again? You have 3 months to hit the treadmill, do some heavy cardio and strength training. Get going!

Forum Member

I have no problem taking it again, just passed it a month ago and didn't do any training. I really don't feel it's too awful of a test if you're in any kind of physical shape. Just thought I'd ask the question since I keep my cert up to date.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerDanger14 View Post
    I have no problem taking it again, just passed it a month ago and didn't do any training. I really don't feel it's too awful of a test if you're in any kind of physical shape. Just thought I'd ask the question since I keep my cert up to date.
    Ok, I see. I noticed also that you are from Ohio (me too) and you'd probably like to minimize the number of trips you have to take to NC during the recruitment process. Can't blame you there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    @fire34fighter... I'm sure Charlotte has its reasons for administering its own CPAT. Namely, it puts everyone on the same playing field by ensuring that the test was proctored fairly & consistently for all applicants and that the quality and setup of the evolutions are the same as well. Although the CPAT is a nationally regulated test and SHOULDN'T VARY in the way its administered from one department to the next, there is no way to guarantee that. I also think Charlotte Fire uses the CPAT to gauge your commitment, fitness level, and preparation - which may play a role in their decision to select candidates for interview.

Are you concerned that you won't pass again? You have 3 months to hit the treadmill, do some heavy cardio and strength training. Get going!

I'm not concerned in the least bit...I already have a job as a paid fireman, and ran a half ironman last year in a decent time so i'm in pretty good shape. I'm more concerned about the fact that I'' have to work to take off work to come down there, and pay for a hotel again, when I thought I wouldn't...
    Last edited by fire34fighter; 01-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

I'm not concerned in the least bit...I already have a job as a paid fireman, and ran a half ironman last year in a decent time so i'm in pretty good shape. I'm more concerned about the fact that I'' have to work to take off work to come down there, and pay for a hotel again, when I thought I wouldn't...
    Their house their rules. As you just stated I am sure this is part of the reason behind them wanting you to come out to take the test rather than just sending in a cert you obtained at home. It shows your commitment and drive for the job which I am sure plays a big part for a department like Charlotte who gives a pass/fail result on all the testing unlike other departments like FDNY who put you on a list according to how you score on each.
    If you don't mind me asking, if your already on with a department what is your motivation to get hired on with Charlotte? Better pay, better location?
    Last edited by jpartlowjr; 01-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpartlowjr View Post
    Their house their rules. As you just stated I am sure this is part of the reason behind them wanting you to come out to take the test rather than just sending in a cert you obtained at home. It shows your commitment and drive for the job which I am sure plays a big part for a department like Charlotte who gives a pass/fail result on all the testing unlike other departments like FDNY who put you on a list according to how you score on each.
    If you don't mind me asking, if your already on with a department what is your motivation to get hired on with Charlotte? Better pay, better location?
    have my reasons
    Last edited by fire34fighter; 05-06-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Forum Member

Did anyone hear a turnaround time of how soon we should hear something back?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Did anyone hear a turnaround time of how soon we should hear something back?
    The CFD recruitment webpage says results won't be available until 4 to 6 weeks after the exam. So, that's somewhere between February 13 and March 1 (approximately).

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/F...s/JoinCFD.aspx
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 01-31-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    The CFD recruitment webpage says results won't be available until 4 to 6 weeks after the exam. So, that's somewhere between February 13 and February March 1 (approximately).

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/F...s/JoinCFD.aspx
    Thanks,
    I was just looking at the site and saw that. Doh!!!

Thread Information