Forum Member

Yep, just received my e-mail to register for CPAT. Probably going to attend Orientation and Timed Run. Good luck all!

MembersZone Subscriber

best of luck to everyone

Forum Member

I registered last night for the CPAT Orientation. Got confirmation today for 3/26.

Forum Member

still have to register..think i'm gonna go for just the final test.

Forum Member

fire34fighter, I would not advise only giving yourself one chance. I dont care how in shape you are, you can fumble on one station and fail the entire test. I have taken this test multiple times and nothing has happened to me but I still dont think I would take the chance. Go for the first time run, if you pass then you are good to go, if something goes wrong you have another chance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD8 View Post
    fire34fighter, I would not advise only giving yourself one chance. I dont care how in shape you are, you can fumble on one station and fail the entire test. I have taken this test multiple times and nothing has happened to me but I still dont think I would take the chance. Go for the first time run, if you pass then you are good to go, if something goes wrong you have another chance.
    Thanks for the advise, but I don't have the time or money to make two trips down there right now. I'll have to take my chances on the final run.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire34fighter View Post
    Thanks for the advise, but I don't have the time or money to make two trips down there right now. I'll have to take my chances on the final run.
    @fire34fighter: I completely understand your situation, as I'm traveling from out of town too. However, keep in mind that if you pass the CPAT and then selected to interview, you will have to make quite a few more trips to Charlotte (i.e., background interview, panel interview, polygraph, medical assessment, etc.). These are all separare trips. Just saying... Anyway, good luck, man!

Forum Member

That's what I am trying to tell you, if you pass it you will only make one trip to begin with. If you fail it you can try again. I think we all can attest that testing is not cheap. I just had to make the difficult dissision to not finish the Omaha FD testing cycle becasue of money. I wish you luck and hopefully we will see each other in recruit class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my confirmation for the Orientation on 3/26. I'm gonna have to try and reschedule and hopefully can get the 30th. Otherwise just have to make it work somehow.

I do have a couple of questions for someone who has tested in the past or works for CFD.

Not that I plan to fail on the practice run(s), but how does the department see that.

For example you have a candidate that takes the orientation, fails both practice runs and passed the final run. Then you have a candidate that opts out of the orientation and practice runs and passes the final run.

Are both candidates equal or does the one who passed without failing have an advantage?

I guess what I'm really asking is does the department just see a P/F or do the see that even though you passed, you failed 2 previous runs.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 02-18-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD8 View Post
    That's what I am trying to tell you, if you pass it you will only make one trip to begin with. If you fail it you can try again. I think we all can attest that testing is not cheap. I just had to make the difficult dissision to not finish the Omaha FD testing cycle becasue of money. I wish you luck and hopefully we will see each other in recruit class.
    You don't have to take the orientation to be eligible for the timed run?

Forum Member

That is not the way I am reading it, I am reading it as if you take the timed run and pass you are good to go. I hope I am not miss-understanding the reading. I guess we could/should call and find out huh?

Forum Member

yeah i'll send them an email...Every place I've gone through it in order to do the timed practice you had to do the orientation..but then again everywhere else I've done it also took the cert within a year...

Forum Member

You are correct. You do NOT have to take orientation or the "timed" run. However, if you do take the "timed" run it counts as a passing time. I would recomend taking the "timed" practice run. If you pass, great. If not, then you have another chance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post

I guess what I'm really asking is does the department just see a P/F or do the see that even though you passed, you failed 2 previous runs.

Thanks for any input.
    It doens't matter. It only matters if you pass.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter42 View Post
    It doens't matter. It only matters if you pass.
    Thanks for the response. Also do you know how many people are taking the CPAT?

Forum Member

I realize we're still fairly early into the recruitment, but I'd like to get an idea of how long Charlotte's hiring process takes from exam to academy. Can successful candidates expect to be appointed some time this year, or does it typically take longer for Charlotte to process a list?
    Last edited by maverick80; 02-24-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    I realize we're still fairly early into the recruitment, but I'd like to get an idea of how long Charlotte's hiring process takes from exam to academy. Can successful candidates expect to be appointed some time this year, or does it typically take longer for Charlotte to process a list?
    I would say some time in the fall. I have't heard any start dates yet, but they typically start in the fall.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say some time in the fall. I have't heard any start dates yet, but they typically start in the fall.
    Just wondering if you know if the 2011 list has been full exhausted or if there is still a pool to select candidates from? If its not exhausted do you know roughly how many people they can still pull from before they start taking from 2012 process?
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 03-24-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Forum Member

Just wondering if you know if the 2011 list has been full exhausted or if they still a pool to select candidates from? If its not exhausted do you know roughly how many people they can still pull from before they start taking from 2012 process?
    There is no list. Its a pool of eligible candidates. The next classes will come from the 2012 process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its a pool of eligible candidates. The next classes will come from the 2012 process.
    Thanks. I knew it was a pool but couldn't figure out how to word it.

Forum Member

Ok, this question is for us folks who are from out of state. I read on CFD's website that new hires must obtain a valid NC drivers license within 60 days. I just visited the NC Division of Motor Vehicles website and it stated that people from out of state must take a written test and also take an "on the road" driving skills test in order to obtain a valid NC license. This seems a bit extreme. Most other states simply check the validity of your current license and maybe give a vision test as well. However, NC treats new residents like they are first time drivers.

Just wondering if there is anyone from out of state who can comment on their experience with NC DMV. I'd like to know how the license testing process is (easy, difficult, moderate). I've been driving for nearly 17 years and I honestly didn't anticipate having to do this all over again. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 02-26-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Forum Member

so you have to live in NC if employed by the city? If so that counts me out. On paper I have to live in VA for the next 2 1/2 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fire34fighter View Post
    so you have to live in NC if employed by the city? If so that counts me out. On paper I have to live in VA for the next 2 1/2 years.
    why's that if you dont mind me asking

Forum Member

I believe Durham is also taking applications through the end of this month. I'm considering taking DFD's exam, but I noticed that the starting pay is $33,000 - which is substantially less than the entry level firefighter pay scales here in my native Ohio. A big factor in whether its worth it for me financially is if Durham has decent pay increases over time. Does anyone know anything about DFD? (e.g., pay, call volume - fire/ems, morale)

Also, what is the skinny on Charlotte's job security and pay increases over time? Again, being from Ohio, I'm used to fire departments being unionized and able to negotiate pay and the like. So, NC is very different in that regard.
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 02-27-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Forum Member

why's that if you dont mind me asking
    I have to keep the place I just bought as my primary address until Jan 2015 due to the conditions I bought it under. So if I have to get a NC D/L that puts me out of the process since I was planning on just renting a room down there.

Thread Information