Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    I believe Durham is also taking applications through the end of this month. I'm considering taking DFD's exam, but I noticed that the starting pay is $33,000 - which is substantially less than the entry level firefighter pay scales here in my native Ohio. A big factor in whether its worth it for me financially is if Durham has decent pay increases over time. Does anyone know anything about DFD? (e.g., pay, call volume - fire/ems, morale)

Also, what is the skinny on Charlotte's job security and pay increases over time? Again, being from Ohio, I'm used to fire departments being unionized and able to negotiate pay and the like. So, NC is very different in that regard.
    I am not to sure on the pay scale but the fire is there in the DFD. They are well known for their aggressive interior fire attack and the fire is there depending on the station you are with. They are known in that area for their truck work, there are some good videos and info on www.durhamfire.net. This site will tell you everything you need to know about call volume and an idea of their tactics.
    Last edited by CFD8; 02-28-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    Ok, this question is for us folks who are from out of state. I read on CFD's website that new hires must obtain a valid NC drivers license within 60 days. I just visited the NC Division of Motor Vehicles website and it stated that people from out of state must take a written test and also take an "on the road" driving skills test in order to obtain a valid NC license. This seems a bit extreme. Most other states simply check the validity of your current license and maybe give a vision test as well. However, NC treats new residents like they are first time drivers.

Just wondering if there is anyone from out of state who can comment on their experience with NC DMV. I'd like to know how the license testing process is (easy, difficult, moderate). I've been driving for nearly 17 years and I honestly didn't anticipate having to do this all over again. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    I just did mine in January as I'm in the military and my Georgia license was expiring. All I had to do was take the written exam. Make sure you take cash to pay for your license and make sure it is the exact amount. I believe it was 36 dollars. It is an 8 year license.

Forum Member

Lately there has been a nationwide trend of laying off firefighters and police officers. I realize that municipal budgets are tight these days, but it seems that safety services are always on the chopping block. With that said, what is job security like with Charlotte Fire? Has the department been subject to any staffing reductions or layoffs since the '08 recession?

Also, I understand that N.C. is "right to work" state; thus the local IAFF for CFD cannot bargain for wages, job security, benefits, or anything else. How has this arrangement worked for you guys so far?

Forum Member

We have hired 10 or 11 classes since 2008. I sent you a PM.

Forum Member

I am planning on taking the test in 2013 as i am currently a junior in college and would be graduating in spring of 2013. are the hiring trends expected to continue so that there will be some classes formed from the 2013 test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    I just did mine in January as I'm in the military and my Georgia license was expiring. All I had to do was take the written exam. Make sure you take cash to pay for your license and make sure it is the exact amount. I believe it was 36 dollars. It is an 8 year license.
    I'm military also and just had a question. Did you have to have anything stating that you were a NC resident (i.e., proof of residence) or literally all you had to do was take the written test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anybody going to CPAT orientation on Monday?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Anybody going to CPAT orientation on Monday?
    I will be attending

Forum Member

Wanted to attend orientation, but could only afford to travel for practice run next month. Training like a mad man in the meantime.

Does anyone know if Charlotte firefighters are permitted to live in South Carolina...say, Fort Mill or Rock Hill area?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    Does anyone know if Charlotte firefighters are permitted to live in South Carolina...say, Fort Mill or Rock Hill area?
    As of today you can, but it looks like we will have a residency requirement for new hires in the near future. Don't when it could happen or exactly what the reaquirement will be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter42 View Post
    As of today you can, but it looks like we will have a residency requirement for new hires in the near future. Don't when it could happen or exactly what the reaquirement will be.
    Do you know if they are looking at changing it for the next class? And if not do you know if they will grandfather people in?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Do you know if they are looking at changing it for the next class? And if not do you know if they will grandfather people in?
    Don't know when it could happen. It will only affect new hires.

Forum Member

• Did anyone attend the CPAT orientation? How was it?
    • Has anyone heard when Charlotte plans to hire from this recruitment process? Are we looking at autumn or some other time?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    • Did anyone attend the CPAT orientation? How was it?
    • Has anyone heard when Charlotte plans to hire from this recruitment process? Are we looking at autumn or some other time?
    Attended the 0930 Orientation and the 1200 Conditioning Session.

Orientation was exactly what I expected. You watched the video then went to the course and got in groups of 5 and did practice at each station then rotated to the next. Only had time for each person to do the Step Mill for 1:30 with all 75lbs. Every other event you did without the vest.

At the conditioning session there were only 8 of us. Figured I had already made the 8 hour drive might as well stick around. Just got to listen to the CFD fitness coordinator for the academy talk about ways to train for the CPAT and different techniques to use for the different events. Worth the 30 minutes IMO.

As for when they looking to hire, just talking to some people it seems like either fall or early next year, depending on who I asked.

I bet you could ask kyhunter, hookhitter, or battlecomedown for their opinion.

Forum Member

I heard this from a couple different sources with connections to CFD as well, though they had no confirmed criteria. One said he heard it would be within Charlotte City limits, the other said Mecklenburg County within one year of hire.
    Last edited by Wolfpack94; 05-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Forum Member

Anybody do the CPAT practice/timed run yesterday? I do it today in the p.m. The schedule said they were starting on 4/30, so I believe some of you got to go yesterday if I'm not mistaken?

Forum Member

I was at the test yesterday, my proctor said they were anticipating 190 people for the day, less an average of 10% that won't show. Based off the results of my group (16 or so) everyone was doing well. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

I had 12 in my group I think 2 maybe 3 failed.

Forum Member

My group had about 10-12 also. I'm pretty sure all but one of the ones I saw in the tent (6 or 7) afterwards made it through. Not sure about the one guy though.

Forum Member

They distributed pre-polygraph questionnaires to the folks that passed the practice CPAT. No surprises there. However, the questionnaire is due May 11 (in just 8 days). This makes me wonder if they plan to begin processing candidates for background interviews and polygraph testing prior to the CPAT Final in June.

MembersZone Subscriber

from reading other years on here from the Charlotte process, I believe they will start the background and polygraph prior to the actual final... i have herd it is defiantly beneficial to go to the practice cpat because if you pass you do not have to come back to the final... i think that is an awesome way to run it... helps the process along
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Has anyone heard when Charlotte expects to bring on its 2012 recruit class, and how many classes they expect to hire?

I know this is looking far ahead, but just out of curiosity, what is the department's process for promoting firefighters to driver or officer? Do they give a test and rank them based on score, or do they use their own discretion and professional judgment similar to the hiring process?

To all who already passed the CPAT, good luck going forward!

Forum Member

does everyone who pass the CPAT move onto the poly/back ground? If so this is going to be a fairly large list....any one who works for the city know how many people are left by any chance? One of my buddies said he passed the test but didn't get invited to the cpat so does not everyone move on?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire34fighter View Post
    does everyone who pass the CPAT move onto the poly/back ground? If so this is going to be a fairly large list....any one who works for the city know how many people are left by any chance? One of my buddies said he passed the test but didn't get invited to the cpat so does not everyone move on?
    Everyone who passes the written test moves on to the CPAT. If your buddy had passed the written test he could have signed up to take the CPAT.

Not everyone who passes the CPAT moves onto the polygraph/background interview.

Not sure how many people are left in the process.
    Last edited by kyhunter42; 05-20-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edit

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire34fighter View Post
    The final CPAT tests aren't until June 4th. Until then, the final number of applicants in the background interview pool wouldn't accurate. Only the people who passed the 1st or 2nd practice session are in the pool currently. Good luck to everyone that is in the pool already. I passed the CPAT 1st practice section a couple of weeks ago and I'm hoping for that call to move to the next step.

Thread Information