Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 210
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    poconos PA USA
    Posts
    272

    Default Charlotte Fire Department 2012

    The 2012 process for becoming a firefighter recruit with the Charlotte Fire Department will commence at 8:00 AM on Monday November 28, 2011 with the opening of the online application form. The link to the application will be found on this page and will remain open until 5:00 PM on Saturday December 10, 2011. Once you have completed the application, you will receive two e-mails. The first will confirm the receipt of your application and the second will assign you a time to sit for the 2012 Firefighter Written Entrance Exam. The Charlotte Fire Department is only offering the Written Entrance Exam on one day in 2012. The date for the exam is Saturday January 21, 2012 and there will be 6 sections on that day. Once you have completed your application continue to pay close attention to this site and your e-mail for continuous updates on the hiring process for 2012.

    Please note the following important dates in the process:

    Firefighter Application Period Opens: 8:00 AM Monday November 28, 2011

    Firefighter Application Period Closes: 5:00 PM Saturday December 10, 2011

    Written Entrance Exam: January 21, 2012 at varying times

    CPAT Orientation: March 26th – 30th, 2012

    CPAT Practice/Timed Runs: April 30th – May 4th, 2012

    CPAT Final Test Runs: June 4th – 8th, 2012

    Firefighter Eligibility Requirements:
    (must be met as of test date)

    At least 18 years of age
    High school diploma or GED
    Valid driver's license and a good driving record
    Honorable discharge, if any, from the military
    Must meet the medical requirements set
    forth in NFPA 1582
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Applying later tonight.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Put in an app this morning

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Is Charlotte actually looking to hire from this test, or is this just a routine annual exam regardless of staffing needs?

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    yea i wonder if there will be a class before the DNC or after the DNC

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I'm a little confused on where to put that app in at.. is it the city website or the CFD website?

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed5150 View Post
    yea i wonder if there will be a class before the DNC or after the DNC
    DNC??? What's that?

  8. #8
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    I'm a little confused on where to put that app in at.. is it the city website or the CFD website?




    Never be confused my friend. Look for the site, I will post it for you guys who may want to know and are not sure.



    http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlot...s/JoinCFD.aspx
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    DNC??? What's that?
    Democratic National Convention, Week of Sept. 3

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PG County, MD
    Posts
    428

    Default

    how much fire do they run down there? What's the call volume like?

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    how much fire do they run down there? What's the call volume like?
    per their website:

    Internationally Accredited Agency Since 2000

    1,164 full-time positions, 1,044 are fire suppression personnel

    41 Engine Companies, 15 Ladder Companies

    Responded to over 93,000 calls for service in 2010

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    how much fire do they run down there? What's the call volume like?

    It depends on where you are stationed but they see a lot of fire. They get good manpower on scene too, its not uncommon to have 50+ guys on a working fire. call volumes pretty heavy at most stations but they have built quite a few new ones in the past few years and some are very low volume stations (the one on the lake with a fireboat for example). All in all Charlotte is hopping...

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    139

    Default

    I'm from the Midwest and very interested in CFD. To those who either work for Charlotte Fire or are familiar with the department and city, I have a few questions:

    1. Is Charlotte a nice place to raise a family? Are the surrounding communities nice and affordable for middle income families?

    2. Is Charlotte Fire a well run department (i.e., well-trained, well-staffed, diverse representation, good leadership, strong union, etc.)?

    3. Does Charlotte give preference to local applicants, or is it strictly based on written test scores and CPAT performance?

    4. How long is fire academy? Do new cadets see fire suppression duties early on or are probies sent to EMS detail?

    5. What is the work schedule (e.g., 24/48 or 24/72)? What about Kelly days?

    6. Does Charlotte Fire offer good job security? Where I'm from, firefighters have been laid off en masse at least three times in the past 7 years.

    I'd appreciate any feedback.
    Last edited by zarack808; 11-30-2011 at 09:00 AM.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Does Charlotte do their own EMS or is it privatized? If so is there any preference for Paramedics? Thanks in advance.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the southeast.
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    I'm from the Midwest and very interested in CFD. To those who either work for Charlotte Fire or are familiar with the department and city, I have a few questions:

    1. Is Charlotte a nice place to raise a family? Are the surrounding communities nice and affordable for middle income families?

    2. Is Charlotte Fire a well run department (i.e., well-trained, well-staffed, diverse representation, good leadership, strong union, etc.)?

    3. Does Charlotte give preference to local applicants, or is it strictly based on written test scores and CPAT performance?

    4. How long is fire academy? Do new cadets see fire suppression duties early on or are probies sent to EMS detail?

    5. What is the work schedule (e.g., 24/48 or 24/72)? What about Kelly days?

    6. Does Charlotte Fire offer good job security? Where I'm from, firefighters have been laid off en masse at least three times in the past 7 years.

    I'd appreciate any feedback.
    1. I am currently stationed at MCAS Cherry Point and am also trying to get on at CFS. From everyone that I have talked to that came from that area it is one of the best places in the south to raise a family. I have been told the surrounding communities are great.

    2. Again, everything I have been told and have seen of the department it is an excellently run department. I would rank it as the premier department in the south.

    3. Based on written exam, CPAT, and mostly the interviews from what I understand. I believe if you are a veteran you get extra points or something like that. Of course, this is all second hand from a friend.

    4. I believe the recruit school is 26 weeks long, 6 months. Not sure how they assign the probies. I believe they assign you to an engine or a truck and you run as a firefighter.

    5. 24 on 24 off 24 on 48 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 96 off

    6. I was told they would rather cut in other areas than the fire department. I would assume that if they invest 6 months of training in an employee they would not be very quick to fire those personnel.

    As I stated before though, all of this is mostly second hand knowledge from people I know that either lived or still live there and guys I know that work at CFD. Hope this helps. In my opinion, it is definitely worth a try to get a position at Charlotte. It is one of the best departments around.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central NC
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Zarack,
    Sent you a PM. Shoot one back if you have any questions.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Is there a study guide packet available for this exam? If so, where can I find it? Looked on CFD website already and did not see anything.

    For those who've taken the test before, what is the testing format?

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    88

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    Is there a study guide packet available for this exam? If so, where can I find it? Looked on CFD website already and did not see anything.

    For those who've taken the test before, what is the testing format?
    It's a basic reading comprehension/math skills test, similar to the SATs. In addition, there is a brief section on basic mechanics (Gears, pulleys, etc), as well as a portion where you'll be given two minutes to view a picture and memorize its details before answering questions on what you've seen/remembered. Lastly, there's a listening portion, where you're asked to look at a diagram in your test booklet, and are verbally told which symbol to select. The directions for each question are spoken once, so it's crucial that you pay attention, because even though none of the several hundred people taking the test with you are speaking, there's a significant amount of incidental noise (shifting in chairs, etc.).

    There's no study guide for the test per se, but a SAT prep book couldn't hurt, and if you don't know a single thing about basic mechanics (gears, pulleys, levers, etc.), I would talk to someone who does. If you can change the oil in your car, you're probably ok for that portion.

    Any questions beyond that, let me know.

    Dave

    P.S. This is for everyone. Unless you're coming from Baltimore, Detroit or FDNY, don't worry about how much fire we fight in Charlotte. It's probably more than you are down at Balls County FD Station 3

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by battlecomedown View Post
    It's a basic reading comprehension/math skills test, similar to the SATs. In addition, there is a brief section on basic mechanics (Gears, pulleys, etc), as well as a portion where you'll be given two minutes to view a picture and memorize its details before answering questions on what you've seen/remembered. Lastly, there's a listening portion, where you're asked to look at a diagram in your test booklet, and are verbally told which symbol to select. The directions for each question are spoken once, so it's crucial that you pay attention, because even though none of the several hundred people taking the test with you are speaking, there's a significant amount of incidental noise (shifting in chairs, etc.).

    There's no study guide for the test per se, but a SAT prep book couldn't hurt, and if you don't know a single thing about basic mechanics (gears, pulleys, levers, etc.), I would talk to someone who does. If you can change the oil in your car, you're probably ok for that portion.

    Any questions beyond that, let me know.

    Dave

    P.S. This is for everyone. Unless you're coming from Baltimore, Detroit or FDNY, don't worry about how much fire we fight in Charlotte. It's probably more than you are down at Balls County FD Station 3

    Comin from Detroit... Well not DFD but live outside of Det. Haha

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PG County, MD
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by battlecomedown View Post
    It's a basic reading comprehension/math skills test, similar to the SATs. In addition, there is a brief section on basic mechanics (Gears, pulleys, etc), as well as a portion where you'll be given two minutes to view a picture and memorize its details before answering questions on what you've seen/remembered. Lastly, there's a listening portion, where you're asked to look at a diagram in your test booklet, and are verbally told which symbol to select. The directions for each question are spoken once, so it's crucial that you pay attention, because even though none of the several hundred people taking the test with you are speaking, there's a significant amount of incidental noise (shifting in chairs, etc.).

    There's no study guide for the test per se, but a SAT prep book couldn't hurt, and if you don't know a single thing about basic mechanics (gears, pulleys, levers, etc.), I would talk to someone who does. If you can change the oil in your car, you're probably ok for that portion.

    Any questions beyond that, let me know.

    Dave

    P.S. This is for everyone. Unless you're coming from Baltimore, Detroit or FDNY, don't worry about how much fire we fight in Charlotte. It's probably more than you are down at Balls County FD Station 3

    Coming from PG county MD I'm definitely interested to know....on average how many calls would you say you all run a shift at busier stations(slower stations too), and how often do you all run fire? The fire you do run I take it is mostly high rises? Not very familiar with the area. Have you all gotten raises recently? Do they match 401K(i know i have a 457b here im sure its the same thing) contributions? Whats the cost of living like there compared to the DC area?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 09-07-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 07:23 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 08-15-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 05-05-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 09:37 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 04-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 07:05 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-20-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 10:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts