Forum Member

Default Weight Tips, Cardio vs. Strength

Hi, I'm trying to lose 20 pounds and increase my endurance. I've been doing the elliptical for 30 minutes for 2 days in a row and will continue ongoing. To my calculations, 3500 calories = 1 pound, so therefore 300 calories * 12 days = 3600 calories lost. Now, when losing one pound of fat every twelve days (if it works like that) what do I replace the fat with? Should I add some pushups and situps to replace the fat with muscle or how does this work?
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

Forum Member

I know I was an ***, but can somebody help me out?

Forum Member

Not an expert here, but you need both cardio & strength training. More muscle = more calories burned while doing nothing.

Also, your diet will heavily influence your weight loss.

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to do both cardio and weight training. Last month I started this crazy workout called "Insanity". It gets you a fulls day workout and more. Then I just have a weightlifting regiment that I do for another hour. I could send you the details if you want it.

All of it overall is pretty cheap. I just have a bench, resistence bands, dumbells, and then the Insanity DVDs.

Good luck, and I am doing it at the same time. Since I have started I have lost over 15 pounds. Let me know if you need anything else.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit7 View Post
    Not an expert here, but you need both cardio & strength training. More muscle = more calories burned while doing nothing.

Also, your diet will heavily influence your weight loss.
    thanks, I was wondering what the fat I was losing was being replaced with. I'll start doing 4-3-2-1s. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorAFPD View Post
    You need to do both cardio and weight training. Last month I started this crazy workout called "Insanity". It gets you a fulls day workout and more. Then I just have a weightlifting regiment that I do for another hour. I could send you the details if you want it.

All of it overall is pretty cheap. I just have a bench, resistence bands, dumbells, and then the Insanity DVDs.

Good luck, and I am doing it at the same time. Since I have started I have lost over 15 pounds. Let me know if you need anything else.
    Insanity is...INSANE! Lol, I don't have access to that right now and I'm pretty out of shape. I'll research it and once I get better at this I'll consider; thanks.

Forum Member

I've been sweating my butt off on the stair stepper with a weight vest lately. I think if you can get on that thing with a 50 pound vest for 30 minutes every day that should do the trick. And then slowly increase the speed as you get more comfortable. I like the stepper because it is great cardio but also really works your quads, some of your bigger muslces.

Forum Member

Iíve been studying fitness and exercise for a while and what aspect it has on the fire service, I have done both cross fit and the weight room. I know everyone is different but the diet is key.

Diet
    First I cut soda. Loaded with too much to list.
    Then I started breaking up my meals, this will help keeping your metabolism working. Do the 3 main meals but also eat snacks in between.

Workout
    I am a college Student so my schedule is pretty regular so it was easy for me to spend an hour a day doing various cardio and running. Later in the day I spend an hour doing weight training, from bench to dips to man makers and skull crushers. I do this 5 days a week spending a day on upper body, lower body, back, then a full body

Iíve been doing it for about 2 months with awesome results. I added a good 75 lbs on my bench and almost 150 on my squats. I also cut almost 2 1/2 minutes of my mile. This is a workout that works for me, Iíve had friends do it with me and almost pass out and friends who run laps around me. My current problem is that Iíve lost a ton of weight and Iím working on putting muscle back on.

Everyone is different; you need to find what works for you.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Interval training fellas.... don't do a workout where you develop a rhythm. Do something where your intensity level is going to very. Youtube some crossfit workouts and get your creative gears going.

Thread Information