Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fireteam results/question

Forum Member

Default Fireteam results/question

Okay so I took my fire team test. Here are my results and then I will proceed with a question if you guys would be kind enough to answer,

RESULTS: Video Test: 78.02
    Mechanical: 47.22 (I know.)
    Math: 83.87
    Reading: 84

Question: What results do the fire departments typically look at when using this test format? For example, do they just use math/reading, do they use just the results from the video test? Or do they use all of them. Now, I know it depends on every department BUT in your own past experiences, what results matters most to the fire department?

Thankyou for you consideration.

Forum Member

if i remember correctly, its likes this:

video: 50%
    math: 25%
    reading: 25%

and the mechanical didnt count. I think thats how they judged it but im not 100% sure

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFemt1991 View Post
    if i remember correctly, its likes this:

video: 50%
    math: 25%
    reading: 25%

and the mechanical didnt count. I think thats how they judged it but im not 100% sure

What kind of question (an example) would be on the 'mechanical' section?

Quote Originally Posted by Criviere View Post
    Okay so I took my fire team test. Here are my results and then I will proceed with a question if you guys would be kind enough to answer,

RESULTS: Video Test: 78.02
    Mechanical: 47.22 (I know.)
    Math: 83.87
    Reading: 84

Question: What results do the fire departments typically look at when using this test format? For example, do they just use math/reading, do they use just the results from the video test? Or do they use all of them. Now, I know it depends on every department BUT in your own past experiences, what results matters most to the fire department?

Thankyou for you consideration.
    Around here Depts usually score the Mech, Math and Reading as pass/fail looking for a score of >70% for each. If you score 70 or better in those area then they rank you by your score in the video portion, if not you don't move on.

Hope this helps.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    What kind of question (an example) would be on the 'mechanical' section?
    Hey brother the test has a strong policy on not sharing absolutely any information on the test. They have a practice test you can purchase on their website that shows you the format. Hope that helps. I will tell you from experience that I personally believe the mechanical portion of the exam to be the most difficult.

p.s. Thank you for all your answers btw!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Around here Depts usually score the Mech, Math and Reading as pass/fail looking for a score of >70% for each. If you score 70 or better in those area then they rank you by your score in the video portion, if not you don't move on.

Hope this helps.
    This is definitely a great help. Colorado probably has higher standards than Florida, around here, they are generally happy if you can read and do simple arithmetic. Eitherway, there is plenty of room for improvement in regard to my score on the mechanical portion of the exam. Thankyou!

Forum Member

This is definitely a great help. Colorado probably has higher standards than Florida, around here, they are generally happy if you can read and do simple arithmetic. Eitherway, there is plenty of room for improvement in regard to my score on the mechanical portion of the exam. Thankyou!

You have lost your mind with that statement about Florida standards.... Florida is one of the hardest states to get a job in right now and when departments are hiring you had better be the best of the best on testing... That means you will not be getting jack with sub par scoring... There are over 8000 certified jobless firefighters in the state right now and that does not count the guys that have standard certificates that have expired due to not getting jobs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMCFF View Post
    You have lost your mind with that statement about Florida standards.... Florida is one of the hardest states to get a job in right now and when departments are hiring you had better be the best of the best on testing... That means you will not be getting jack with sub par scoring... There are over 8000 certified jobless firefighters in the state right now and that does not count the guys that have standard certificates that have expired due to not getting jobs.
    I hate to break it to ya pal but he's right. The state of Florida standards are not as great as you may think or as depts and instructors at schools make it out to be. If it was clearly that great and they were looking to certify top notch people there wouldn't be 8,000 certified FFs out there. If our standards were that high, we would not allow these crappy schools to pump out kids evey 3 months with their fire or every 6 months with their medics certs. I would like to see it turn into a degree program. Where you have to do 2 years of general education along with a year of medics but I doubt that'll happen.

As for the fireteam test. I took it recently for a dept and I got hired. I looked at my scores and I was like WTF. That test/exam, is complete utter BS. As a matter of fact, it's so useless that the dept told me they're never doing it again because it's just not the best way to rank candidates. The dept that I work for used it but it only accounted for 25 % of the decision or your overall score in the process. The main portion they looked at for this was the reading and maybe the math a little. The major factor in the hiring process that accounted for 50-60% of your overall score was……… DING DING DING. The oral interview. The rest was your physical test.

Long story short the test sucks and a lot of depts are leaning away from it.

God bless guys! Take care!
    KTung954 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fernan13 View Post
    I hate to break it to ya pal but he's right. The state of Florida standards are not as great as you may think or as depts and instructors at schools make it out to be. If it was clearly that great and they were looking to certify top notch people there wouldn't be 8,000 certified FFs out there. If our standards were that high, we would not allow these crappy schools to pump out kids evey 3 months with their fire or every 6 months with their medics certs. I would like to see it turn into a degree program. Where you have to do 2 years of general education along with a year of medics but I doubt that'll happen.
    So are you saying from a institutions stand point they should graduate a class and accept no more until all the top candidates have been hired? There isn't enough jobs in Florida for all these firefighters, it's not their fault though, and I wouldn't exactly deem Florida Standards as sub par. With a requirement of far more contact hours in class than MANY states, it's doubtful the standards are not good (I won't say great). And if you look at many of these classes that graduate, the ones who stood out, the ones who were "top notch" were hired within months, the others write their own history by not applying themselves and taking every moment to say "Waaaah, there aren't any jobs".

I'm not sure where you are going to get your Medic in Florida in 6 months either, We run an in-house program which at the LEAST is 8 months plus a separate A&P prior. As for turning it into a degree program....it practically is, it is an A.S. in EMS. which most people with a brain who took a few classes after graduating High School can achieve. Having a degree means nothing in this world today, just a bunch of people who slid through college to get a "Sociology" degree does not make you any smarter of a person, or a better candidate for the Florida fire service.

Just my $.02
    KTung954 likes this.

Forum Member

As for the fireteam test. I took it recently for a dept and I got hired. I looked at my scores and I was like WTF. That test/exam, is complete utter BS. As a matter of fact, it's so useless that the dept told me they're never doing it again because it's just not the best way to rank candidates. The dept that I work for used it but it only accounted for 25 % of the decision or your overall score in the process. The main portion they looked at for this was the reading and maybe the math a little. The major factor in the hiring process that accounted for 50-60% of your overall score was……… DING DING DING. The oral interview. The rest was your physical test.

Long story short the test sucks and a lot of depts are leaning away from it.

God bless guys! Take care!
    The fire team test is not the best way to rank a candidate! That I completely agree with. There are so many things that factor in but what I come to realize about getting a job as a FF, is that you can't just go through FIRE/EMS school and expect to get a job. It's something that you must seriously pursue on an everyday basis. It doesn't matter how many certifications and or experience you have, if you want the job in any department you will have to make serious sacrifices to get it. Whether those sacrifices involve studying for hours, driving hours for an interview that you will probably won't get a job for, waiting patiently on a list after actually being put on the list, etc..

Thank you for all your answers they have been very insightful!

Forum Member

It seems to be we have different point of views when it comes to this. I still think the state of florida standards aren't that great. As for medics being 6 months courses go look at fmti, AMA, and all those other rinkidink schools selling kids a dream. Then sit and wonder why there are 8,000 unemployed FFs out there.. Then ask yourself why the state allows it.

Answer is $$$$$$. they're pumping out kids in these schools like crazy. As for people getting a degree and furthering their education, I think they do it because right now they're "sliding through" i don't know if you're a ff or not and quite frankly it doesn't matter to me but let's face it. FF's get paid crap. Therefore, getting a degree to make some extra cash on the side, experience, or even just for fun is a pretty smart idea. I don't see why people wouldn't pursue it.

And I know a lot of people on here are going to hate this but with the exception of maybe 2 handful of Florida fire depts the Florida fire service is pretty weak compared to other states. You should spend some time in Detroit, NYC, or even my hometown Elizabeth NJ and see what those guys deal with on a daily basis. Very few fire depts here deal with that.

The standards become mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    So are you saying from a institutions stand point they should graduate a class and accept no more until all the top candidates have been hired? There isn't enough jobs in Florida for all these firefighters, it's not their fault though, and I wouldn't exactly deem Florida Standards as sub par. With a requirement of far more contact hours in class than MANY states, it's doubtful the standards are not good (I won't say great). And if you look at many of these classes that graduate, the ones who stood out, the ones who were "top notch" were hired within months, the others write their own history by not applying themselves and taking every moment to say "Waaaah, there aren't any jobs".

I'm not sure where you are going to get your Medic in Florida in 6 months either, We run an in-house program which at the LEAST is 8 months plus a separate A&P prior. As for turning it into a degree program....it practically is, it is an A.S. in EMS. which most people with a brain who took a few classes after graduating High School can achieve. Having a degree means nothing in this world today, just a bunch of people who slid through college to get a "Sociology" degree does not make you any smarter of a person, or a better candidate for the Florida fire service.

Just my $.02

Forum Member

You're 100% right. It's a big sacrifice but it's ultimately worth it.

The fire team test is not the best way to rank a candidate! That I completely agree with. There are so many things that factor in but what I come to realize about getting a job as a FF, is that you can't just go through FIRE/EMS school and expect to get a job. It's something that you must seriously pursue on an everyday basis. It doesn't matter how many certifications and or experience you have, if you want the job in any department you will have to make serious sacrifices to get it. Whether those sacrifices involve studying for hours, driving hours for an interview that you will probably won't get a job for, waiting patiently on a list after actually being put on the list, etc..

Thank you for all your answers they have been very insightful!

Forum Member

And I know a lot of people on here are going to hate this but with the exception of maybe 2 handful of Florida fire depts the Florida fire service is pretty weak compared to other states. You should spend some time in Detroit, NYC, or even my hometown Elizabeth NJ and see what those guys deal with on a daily basis. Very few fire depts here deal with that.

Florida will never be anything like anything up north...ever. Is that a bad thing? No. One just has to adapt to change. That's all.

They have centuries of history, old construction, and the amount of fire (pure fire) calls to legitimize having a full time fire based service and the staffing they have.

Down here, it's all new construction within the past 50 years, 90% medical calls, sending fire apparatus to medical calls to justify our very existence, new departments, and generally an excess of firefighters and paramedics and EMTs who just don't give a **** about firefighting or EMS.

It seems to be we have different point of views when it comes to this. I still think the state of florida standards aren't that great. As for medics being 6 months courses go look at fmti, AMA, and all those other rinkidink schools selling kids a dream. Then sit and wonder why there are 8,000 unemployed FFs out there.. Then ask yourself why the state allows it.

Answer is $$$$$$. they're pumping out kids in these schools like crazy. As for people getting a degree and furthering their education, I think they do it because right now they're "sliding through" i don't know if you're a ff or not and quite frankly it doesn't matter to me but let's face it. FF's get paid crap. Therefore, getting a degree to make some extra cash on the side, experience, or even just for fun is a pretty smart idea. I don't see why people wouldn't pursue it.

What are the two departments in Florida you would like to give credit to? Just want to see if the one I work for is on your list.

I don't care what dream the schools are selling, it doesn't matter because anyone who has made up their mind to take part in this job should know what they are getting into! It is not handed to you, you have to set yourself apart from the other "8,000". Just taking class after class will not do that for you, it's a personality issue.

About getting a degree...I never said it wasn't a good idea, I said getting a degree in something completely irrelevant will not make you a better firefighter. Maybe you'll retain a bit of English skills (For report writing) or Math skills (For pump calc.) But in the long run it will not let you make more grabs than a guy with no degree.

Either way we will disagree nonetheless. Fuss says it best anyone in this job really shouldn't claim a certain region does it better or has higher standards. Unless your horse really is riding that high, but I'm not looking to take shots on anyone or their department.

Forum Member

Hands down the dumbest statement I have read on here! Obviously from someone who is not on the job and never will be with an attitude like that. Do we get as much fire as up North? No we don't, but it doesn't mean we don't train like it! i'm sure you already knew that though, because you're from New Jersey. But guess what we still burn, we still have shootings, nasty mvc's, and other things like huge brush fires. I myself didn't come home from work after the palm bay fires for three days, and was only home for 12 hours. In most areas we also don't have the same manning compared to major city dept's. The house I used to be at was John Wayne. Our second due was over 15 mins away.

We have the same comradery and brotherhood as every other state. People come from all over the US to the Orlando Fire Conference. We also have brothers that teach at FDIC and other places nationwide. Ever heard of Curt Isakson or John Simpson? Step up and come by any firehouse in Florida and call us weak!!!

Forum Member

I agree things are different here than they are up north. Now elaborate with us as to what we deal with here that north doesn't..

And as for dedication, I do not doubt what so ever their dedication. That is individual and it comes from within.

The funny thing to me is that I currently work in CFL and I have actually have had this conversation with Orlando guys recently.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Most idiotic statement ever! The ONLY thing right about it is how so many people will disagree with you. The FL fire service is weak? WTF is that supposed to mean? There isn't as much fire or it doesn't snow, so its weak down here? You're a friggin moron.

How about this, I did spend time in the northeast. Hows 6 years working in Philadelphia. Engine work, Ladder work, rain, snow, sleet, 6 alarm fires, multiple fires a shift.... I did pretty much everything up there. I would never call the fire service anywhere weak. Different challenges call for different solutions. Walk into a fire station in Orlando and tell them you're from bum-funk New Jersey and you think the fire service in FL is weak. You'd be lucky to leave without a black eye. Especially if I was working there.

People want this job, and what say does the state have as to who can take the courses to become certified? NONE, they let as many people take the course as sign up. Its not their place to limit people from doing what they want. And if there are so many people certified and not working its because the BEST already got the job. As for the standards, you can check for reciprocity on most, if not all, states websites. The only state I know of off the bat that will not accept FL standards is California. You can take it pretty much anywhere else... yet try and get FL standards without testing in FL, impossible. I personally have my FF certs valid in PA, NC and FL. All it took to get my PA and NC certs was a copy of my FL cert and a letter requesting reciprocity to the state fire marshall, or head of the department in charge of fire service training certs. Other states recognize the amount of training involved down here and cough the cert right up.

Lastly, the guys on the job down here are just as dedicated as anywhere else. We deal with stuff you'll never see up north and vice versa. But to say the whole states fire service is "weaker" because of some stupid reason, it just sounds like you're trying to justify your coolness or ego to yourself about what you do. Which I'm pretty sure isn't anything that impressive...

Forum Member

Reread the statement 2 handful of depts, meaning 10 or so.

Well we'll def disagree, I don't have to roll my eyes or any of that because I can have a legitimate conversation with someone without the histrionics.

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    What are the two departments in Florida you would like to give credit to? Just want to see if the one I work for is on your list.

I don't care what dream the schools are selling, it doesn't matter because anyone who has made up their mind to take part in this job should know what they are getting into! It is not handed to you, you have to set yourself apart from the other "8,000". Just taking class after class will not do that for you, it's a personality issue.

About getting a degree...I never said it wasn't a good idea, I said getting a degree in something completely irrelevant will not make you a better firefighter. Maybe you'll retain a bit of English skills (For report writing) or Math skills (For pump calc.) But in the long run it will not let you make more grabs than a guy with no degree.

Either way we will disagree nonetheless. Fuss says it best anyone in this job really shouldn't claim a certain region does it better or has higher standards. Unless your horse really is riding that high, but I'm not looking to take shots on anyone or their department.

Forum Member

You know I've had this same conversation with guys in my dept, senior guys, because for obvious reasons they have more insight to all of these things and they see it the same way.

Comradery and brotherhood varies from dept to dept, house to house and crew to crew. But of course since you are obviously on the job (I hope you are) I would expect you to know that but then again the typical attitude is to say you're Billy badass as oppose to seeing the truth which is with the state of FL could have higher standards when it comes to certifying people and when it comes to training. exception, as I stated (10 or so depts).

But of course whats tradition in this day and age, right?

I mean let's ride ladder trucks that don't do truck work and use them as pumps..

The Orlando guys have a great thing going.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyFF View Post
    Hands down the dumbest statement I have read on here! Obviously from someone who is not on the job and never will be with an attitude like that. Do we get as much fire as up North? No we don't, but it doesn't mean we don't train like it! i'm sure you already knew that though, because you're from New Jersey. But guess what we still burn, we still have shootings, nasty mvc's, and other things like huge brush fires. I myself didn't come home from work after the palm bay fires for three days, and was only home for 12 hours. In most areas we also don't have the same manning compared to major city dept's. The house I used to be at was John Wayne. Our second due was over 15 mins away.

We have the same comradery and brotherhood as every other state. People come from all over the US to the Orlando Fire Conference. We also have brothers that teach at FDIC and other places nationwide. Ever heard of Curt Isakson or John Simpson? Step up and come by any firehouse in Florida and call us weak!!!

Forum Member

If you have such a lowly view of the fire service in Florida why are you working here instead of the NE?

Forum Member

FireFuss, I'd quote and add my own thoughts to your posts but it would take too much room so I'll just say GREAT POSTINGS!!

I've been on the job here for about 12 years and have 16 in the fire service in Florida and I will re-state what Flashpo1nt said, we will never be like anywhere up north. The only place I can think of that has similar building construction is Jacksonville, everything down here is CBS or tilt wall, no heavy timber or balloon frame. All structures like that here were wiped out by hurricanes in the early 1900's. But there are PLENTY of places that fight fire on a regular basis, it just doesn't make the news. Lake Worth, Belle Glade, Pahokee and South Bay(all now Palm Beach County FD), Riviera Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderhill, BSOFR, Miami and Hialeaha are places I can think of off the top of my head that have fires all the time, some multiple times a shift. We don't have dedicated truck companies because we don't have the manning or money for them so everything has a pump. We also do our own EMS and transport because that is the way it is here. Most stuff is just built not to burn and our response times are so quick that most fires don't grow to much of anything.

Now as far as fire school is concerned I will say that fire standards have succumbed to the "pussification" of our country. You used to have to pass a rigorous swim test, because there is water everywhere, but the ACLU put an end to that because a certain group couldn't pass. Even the triple, or big 3, is easier than it used to be. And lets face it, the "everyone gets a trophy" generation has been flooding the fire service for the past 6 or so years which makes me confident that the fire service will have a serious decline in the next 15-20 years.

To the poster who asked where you can get your medic in 6 months, there is a long list of "fly by night" and other BS non community college schools out there offering a blue patch to anyone who has the $$$$. Many of us have the pleasure of working with at least a few of them. Some are good but most suck!

In all I believe the fire service is the fire service, no matter where you go but anyone who has been on the job awhile knows that there is a serious decline in the work quality of people coming on now, not every applicant, but most of them. All I can say is that it is OUR job to teach them how to be FIREMEN, not just some cry baby collecting a paycheck.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Thread Information