Thread: Need help!!!!

Forum Member

Default Need help!!!!

So I applied for Springdale Ohio Fire Dept last week get a letter yesterday saying the test is Saturday the 3rd (this Saturday), I am assuming the test is one of those deals where you look at a study guide for an hour then take the test. I've only ever taken one (Wayne Township Fire Dept, Indiana) and that happened to be my first written test for any Fire Dept ever. Do you guys have any tips or tricks for those?

Thanks

Forum Member

Don't assume anything!!!! You should have known what the test consisted of long before today, but hindsight is 20/20. Call HR and get the scoop on what type of test it is. Some tests have a study guide you need to study before test day, some they give you on test day, and some are general knowledge/problem solving. And those are just a sample - there are many more kinds. It's always a good idea to brush up on doing high school level math without a calculator and working on your grammar. Good luck.

Forum Member

When you apply for a department they will have a job announcement. This will include a lot of very important information, the type of tests, the dates, minimum requirements, and how the different portions of the tests are combined. Some have portions that are pass/fail, others are weighted.

If you test for a particular department and are able to talk to someone who just was hired, you can talk to the person who would know all about the test and also the one how did the best last time.

Tests differ from department to department and even in the same department from test to test. They can have everything from memorization and math, to reading comprehension and tool identification. If you test a lot you will start to see the same tests over and over. Find where you need work and study those areas. This as well as other web sites have books just for the written firefighter tests. The Don Mcknea fire school, www.fireprep.com also has programs designed just for certain departments.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Well I took the test and it was unlike I have never seen before. There was no study guide and no study session before hand they handed you the test and said ok go to it you have 2 hours, 300+ applicants for 2 spots, kinda depressing.

Forum Member

Default Welcome to Ohio Civil Service Testing for Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by geoff2448 View Post
    Well I took the test and it was unlike I have never seen before. There was no study guide and no study session before hand they handed you the test and said ok go to it you have 2 hours, 300+ applicants for 2 spots, kinda depressing.
    Welcome to testing in Ohio. I have taken probably 20-25+ tests over almost 2 years and they all are about the same in process, not test. I have called HR or the civil service commission in the hopes of getting a name of who is proctoring the test and have gotten told that they do not give that out, and more than just a few times.

The 300+ applicants seems about status quo...I'm surprised they told you how many spots...That's something else that a lot of places will not even speculate on. It sucks testing in Ohio. As one of my buddies said, "It's basically 50% luck, 40% BS , and 10% knowledge." Good luck man. I'm nearing the end of my 4+ year search for full time as it sounds like I am decently close to getting a full time job someplace near Cleveland...although I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch (although the egg is starting to crack)

Forum Member

Thanks FFmedicintheCLE for the information!!!! This was the 3rd Ohio test (Youngstown and Columbus). In a way I liked the format because I am currently in EMT class so its one less thing to study!!

Forum Member

No worries man. If you have any questions on the process for any place (As I have said, I have tested a lot of places and I have a lot of friends that have taken tests other places too). Feel free to ask anything.

Thread Information