I know this may have been covered already but I just stumbled across it again and felt the need to post.

Part 1:
http://www.hell.tv/t/videos/6810/cop...e-fighter.html

I remember being bent when it happened, as it happens all the time. However, I never saw the outcome. It was probably posted here but, I didn't see it.

Part 2:
http://www.totalcriminaldefense.com/...er-arrest.aspx

He didn't get much but, he deserved every dime. Personally, I think the judge should have made the officer apologize to each responder and their families for putting them in jeopardy. When traffic flow becomes a higher priority than life safety, someone has forgotten and the primary functions of their job. Instead, the officer's previous conduct was a mitigating factor.

One of the industry magazines had an article on the problem. I think it was Firehouse (our host for this forum) and it was pretty good. The gist of the story was that communication with the PDs was the biggest factor. The boys in blue are drilled to get traffic flowing and basically have no idea why we intentionally block traffic. Once they realized that it is a life/safety issue they get with the idea.

This issue strikes home with me because I was at a scene where a state cop reigned in a county cop, with the threat of arrest, for hassling our chief over vehicle placement and that was several years ago, to say the least. That incident established communication with the PDs we worked with that reconciled the problem. The communication was not "harmonious" when it started but was within a few months.

We also used to have a problem with police vehicles in the way at obvious fire calls. To the point where we had a patrol car placed in front of a hydrant at a fully involved structure. Another case where we were not communicating with other responders.

It is one thing for a nozzleman or engineer (chauffeur if you prefer) to casually talk to the cops on a scene however, direct high level talks do a lot more. After all, it is not us versus them, we are on the same side. The brass on both sides have to talk and it is best for all of us if it happens at a meeting or at lunch. When it happens on the scene it is ugly because both sides are focused on their trained priorities.