Forum Member

Default Fire Station Grants

I've been looking for a fire station grant for the past few months and have come up empty every time. We recently acquired some property and I'm trying to come up with a way to cut building costs. Any ideas and help would be appreciated. Thanks all

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

The AFG Fire Station Construction Grant program only lasted one year, unfortunately. I don't think the regular AFG grant program will consider station construction projects. If you are in a rural area you might try the U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development grant program. We had a commitment from them before we got lucky and landed one of the aforementioned Station Construction Grants last year.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Station Grants 2012??

I was just looking elsewhere and see a listing for the Fire Station Grant program with a possible Summer 2012 date. Has anybody heard anything about this???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by spj03584 View Post
    I was just looking elsewhere and see a listing for the Fire Station Grant program with a possible Summer 2012 date. Has anybody heard anything about this???
    Just exactly where are you seeing this? Call me at 863-551-9598 and give me the informaton you do have and I will be glad to look into that for you.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

I found this on it....

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:h716:

http://www.emergencymgmt.com/emergen...ts-021511.html

Also, when looking at this page, when you look down on funded grants it states, "SAFER, FP&S, Station Construction".

MembersZone Subscriber

Everything I can find on that bill shows that it hasn't even gone for a vote yet...?

Forum Member

Died in committee probably, after all the 2012 AFG is funded at the same level as 2011 which is $420mil. If you look at the 2nd link it has AFG split off for $250mil with SAFER, FP&S, and SCG sharing $420mil. That didn't happen since SAFER is getting $420mil also, just like 2011 SAFER which is the app period coming up. Various entities have been pushing for SCG to come back but the jury's still out since many of the awards are still in process since they were 3 year construction projects. Odds are it won't get renewed unless all are completed and all are given the thumbs up for their effects on the communities. Which normally would be something obvious, but people mismanage AFG grants for simple stuff so they want to make sure there are no process issues with SCG before renewing it. Just my .02 worth of analysis.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire Station Construction Grant (SCG)

Grant Details:

Amount: TBD
    Application Due Date: Summer 2012

Description:

Note: This grant will not be funded in 2011

The Department of Homeland Security’s Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants (SCG) will provide financial assistance directly to fire departments on a competitive basis to build new or modify existing fire stations in order for departments to enhance their response capability and protect the community they serve from fire and fire-related hazards.

SCG seeks to support organizations lacking the tools and resources necessary to effectively protect the health and safety of the public and their emergency response personnel with respect to fire and all other hazards.

The AFG Program Office will be utilizing the established grant process employed for all other grant opportunities with AFG. Applications will be submitted via the automated e-grant application and the program office expects the e-application will be available the week of June 8th. The submitted applications will be screened using the answers to the questions in the application to determine which applications will go to panel. Finally, a panel of peers will review each application sent to panel and provide recommendations regarding which applications will be funded.

To review the SCG Grant Program Guidance click here.

Organization Information:

Organization: U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security

Contact Information:

Contact Email: firegrants@dhs.gov
    Contact Phone: 1-866-274-0960

More Information:
    http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/

I just found this on www.homeland1.com

Forum Member

So does this mean the SCG is coming back or the Feds just getting out hopes up again?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by copperonly View Post
    So does this mean the SCG is coming back or the Feds just getting out hopes up again?
    OK not trying to be the Scrooge here, especially at Xmas but....I would not get your hopes up at all on this one. First off, just where do you think they would get the money to fund such a program from? They are cutting and slashing everything in sight; Congress cannot agree if the "sky is blue" or not right now, and without bi-partisan cooperation my bet is we won't see a single bill passed before they go on Xmas break yet alone any meaningful debate to try adn find money or even a dsicussion regarding the mertis of a fire station construction grant program. As BC79er pointed out above, the jury is still out on if that program from the ARRA was successful or not and judging by what I am seeing if fell way short of its goals and objectives..

In case you have not figured this out yet, DHS abhors "brick and mortar" projects. The reasoning is basically, if a town or community believes that they need public safety services, then they should be willing to supply the basic necessities needed to deliver those services which usually includes:

Manpower and/or the salaries that go with that -
    we have what remains of the SAFER program which has turned into nothing short of a welfare entitlement program

A building to work out of-
    we have had one grant program in just over 20 years to build a fire station or police staton for that matter and it was through the flawed and failed ARRA stimulus act. The only other program that was there was the Community Development Block Grant Program which has gone "bye-bye" with no funding available this past year. USDA offers a Rural Development Program which wil lfund a partial grant and coupled with a long, term low interest loan and thats about it in terms of "brick and mortar".

Vehicles to get to the calls -
    AFG , by law, only alllows 25% of their money to go for vehicles.

Are you seeing a pattern here yet?

Large capital improvement projects generally are not on DHS's or any other funding source's radar screen. Its more than likely going to have to come from the local community in some form or another. Best to quit wasting time hoping and praying for a grant and start working on another way to obtain the capital needed for that project.

Your first step is going to have to be educating your administration and citizens to the cold hard facts of grant funding and that is that a building grant is "pie in the sky".
    Last edited by ktb9780; 12-10-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information