Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Chief, always respected you and your dedication. As others have said, I certainly understand how you feel, but also fit in with the crowd that remembers in their own way.

I rarely post or even visit here anymore thanks to a select few posters. But as far as the fire service goes, I read about every LODD death that occurs, and certainly remember and re-read information on the multi-LODD incidents every year. Not only do I do it out of respect and rememberance, but also to ensure I learn lessons from them that will help me keep my crew as safe as possible as I lead them into whatever we are faced with.

It's not important how people remember, just that they do.
    Last edited by fyrmnk; 12-04-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmnk View Post
    Chief, always respected you and your dedication. As others have said, I certainly understand how you feel, but also fit in with the crowd that remembers in their own way.

It's not important how people remember, just that they do.
    Well said!

Gonz: I did not feel the need to offer up words here.
    My wife & I stopped off on the way through Worcester Sunday evening and lit a candle and placed it along with a prayer at the site.. To me a silent moment is my personal way of remembering the sacrifice of lives made.

Forum Member

Made a note on the whiteboard in the kitchen at the station on Friday before I left about the anniversary.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I did the same, from my FB wall yesterday: Remembering FF Brotherton, Lt Lucey, Lt Spencer, FF Jackson, FF Lyons, and FF McGuirk, EOW 12-03-99 - Worcester, MA. To my brothers: if you don't know who these heros are, take a few minutes today to learn about the Worcester 6 and how and why they died. I want to make sure that these men didn't die in vain, and that the members of the fire service who've joined since that time know that Worcester's impact on us will never be lost.
    To go along with this, because of Chief Gonzo's post I took the time to learn more about the W6 on the web. I came into the service after this tragedy and although I've heard about the incident I've never looked into the details of why our 6 brothers lost their lives.

While I didn't post, I still paid my respects to all 6 by learning from their sacrifice. RIP W6 and thanks for reminding us Chief.

Stay safe guys.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

I was tied up all weekend and didn't get into the forum at all, so I missed the threads completely.

That said - while the date isn't etched into my memory, I still remember Worchester, along with Hackensack, Milford, Charleston, and a host of others that deserve our recognition and remembrance.

We really have a very limited sampling of the total firefighter population in this country represented on the forum. I'm sure there was plenty of reflection on the events of that incident.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

TONS of posts of remembrance regarding the W6 on my Facebook news feed...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Not knowing you directly, but through a relative, you will never have to qualify anything you post here. Your reputation is solid.

It would be an honor to work with/for you.
    Ditto.............and agree with the title.............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I usually don't post in threads about LODD's, don't see the point. To me it usually seems like a cheap and showy type of "remembrance".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I usually don't post in threads about LODD's, don't see the point. To me it usually seems like a cheap and showy type of "remembrance".
    I feel the same. And to be be honest, I don't know the dates of the 17 lodd's from just my house, much less all of them from my department.
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmnk View Post
    ...but also to ensure I learn lessons from them that will help me keep my crew as safe as possible as I lead them into whatever we are faced with.
    THAT is how we should honor and remember our fallen brothers and sisters. Learning and applying the "lessons learned" that they paid with their very lives is how we offer our respect to them AND ensure their sacrifice was not made in vain and forgotten.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

While I did see your apology and respect where you are coming from, I still find it interesting that with over 12k posts on here you have only managed to post in the Safety and Survival section of the forums only 4 times.

This is not a slam against you, as there are not many people who post there. It would be nice to see it more frequently posted in. Brotherhood to me is not making a one sentence remembrance on a forum, it's finding out ways to make sure other LODD's don't occur while still maintaining aggressive tactics and knowing ways to unf*ck a bad situation somebody has gotten themselves into.
    Weekly updates on the world of rope:

http://rescue2training.com/journal.html

Quote Originally Posted by DCFDRescue2 View Post
    While I did see your apology and respect where you are coming from, I still find it interesting that with over 12k posts on here you have only managed to post in the Safety and Survival section of the forums only 4 times.

This is not a slam against you, as there are not many people who post there. It would be nice to see it more frequently posted in. Brotherhood to me is not making a one sentence remembrance on a forum, it's finding out ways to make sure other LODD's don't occur while still maintaining aggressive tactics and knowing ways to unf*ck a bad situation somebody has gotten themselves into.
    Wait, really... we are going to in some way disparage those who don't post in a forum YOU think is worthwhile?

That is asinine. Especially, considering the forum drift on here.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Actually my excuse for not posting is simply that I haven't been on here in almost a week.

I agree with Gonz that people should remember and apply the lessons learned every time they go out the door. Remember the past so you don't repeat history. I personally have a W6 sticker on the bottom of my helmet so I see it every time I put it on. I remembered and wondered where they would be today and what they would be doing. I also wondered how I would react as a chief officer if I had to stand in the doorway and deny my guys from going in to get my other guys. Not a choice I would want to make and not a scenario I want to be in.

That is why I do research on this type of thing and remember the fallen to make sure it doesn't happen again. I guess the crust is thick on all of us...No worries Chief!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Wait, really... we are going to in some way disparage those who don't post in a forum YOU think is worthwhile?

That is asinine. Especially, considering the forum drift on here.
    The way I took what he wrote...

We have all agreed that learning from these incidents and doing what we can to make sure they don't happen again are the best ways to honor the memories of our fallen brothers. Obviously most of the talk about the ways to go about this would probably be located in the Safety and Survival forums.

Or maybe I am reading it the wrong way. Either way, he is right (not in specific about Gonz). We have people here who rant and rave about everything under the sun yet never make it to the safety and survival or strategy and tactics part of the site. Sad.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Obviously most of the talk about the ways to go about this would probably be located in the Safety and Survival forums.
    I think most of the conversation about ways to prevent firefighter LODD is right here in "firefighters forum".

Don't be fooled by the forum titles. No one seems to really pay much attention to them.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Yesterday was the 12th anniversary of the Worcester Cold Storage Warehouse fire...

and a total of myself and9 people actually posted on the two threads on this forum about the W6.

To Captain Old Timer, firefightin'Irish, ChiefKN ,pasobuff, Len1952, Weruj, Rescue101, Trkco 1 and Leeland... Thank you for remembering out fallen brothers...
    Calm the **** down.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Thanks for caring enough to get ****ed off.
    X2, Chief.
    I have been busy with the new job, but I paused yesterday to review my LUNAR, to oil up the side cutters in my coat and the wire cutters in my pants, and to make sure I have the info in my head to let someone know I am in need of help, and the tools I need to get myself out.

That is the best way we can honor ALL of our fallen Brothers, every day.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Apparently, this was directed at me...

Quote Originally Posted by t1tan19 View Post
    Calm the **** down.
    If that is all you can contribute to the conversation, please keep it to yourself.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Yes it was, this is a public forum for people to participate in the way they see fit.

Here, let me mark my calendar for the next LODD anniversary so I can remember to log on and post a rememberence to satisfy some random guy that acts like he has authority over a forum. I think your taking the "if you don't document it, it didn't happen" mentality a little too far, because people aren't posting a rememberence of sorts on this forum, doesn't mean they aren't thinking about it in their own way.

To repeat my original comment, calm down and remember those lost in your own way without expressing disgust to others for not living up to your personal expectations.

I don't get on here as much as I use to. With that being said I only got on here tonight to write in regards to the unfortunate incident that happened there today... I am very wrapped up in the Cold Storage fire and have attended many classes in regards to it.

I was teaching class on Sat and Sunday and had the students both days stand for a moment of silence for the W6.

Thread Information