Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Oral Board Question

Hello all,

On an Oral board I was asked the following questions-

1#- You arrive to a fire scene at a local Restaurant, after finishing the job your supervisor exits the establishment with Gift Certificates and hands you one. What do you do?

--- I answered the by saying that I would not accept the gift, and went into stating that has firefighters who serve the public we shouldnt be taking gifts to doing our job, its unethical ... ( i went in to more details but the was the jist)

Is there a better way I could have dealt with this situation?

2#- You arrive to a MVA, you approach the passenger and assess that they have passed away, you quickly turn you efforts to the driver and begin your assessment, the drivers asks you how the passenger is doing? What do you say?

- How would you answer ?

Thank you in advance

Jason

Forum Member

1. Question is not clear did the business offer the certificates or was he stealing them

If stealing should call him on it and report to higher ups

If given to him than your answer is correct , with the added that if it is dept policy not to accept , than once again report to higher up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    1. Question is not clear did the business offer the certificates or was he stealing them

If stealing should call him on it and report to higher ups

If given to him than your answer is correct , with the added that if it is dept policy not to accept , than once again report to higher up

Sorry I wasnt clear, yes certificates were given. thank you!

Any thoughts on the second Question? I believe I answered incorrectly stating that I would tell the driver the truth that the passenger has passed away.

Forum Member

Sorry do not do medical but say the passenger was a relative to the other, may make matters worse

Some departments do allow gifts

Forum Member

for the 2nd question I would of told the patient that we're going to do everything we can but i don't think you were wrong by saying you would tell the truth.. if it was indeed a family member

did you get your results of your oral board review yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

You arrive to a MVA, you approach the passenger and assess that they have passed away, you quickly turn you efforts to the driver and begin your assessment, the drivers asks you how the passenger is doing? What do you say?

This question, as well as 99 others are answered in my book, Smoke Your Firefighter Interview.

To summarize:
    I know that the passenger has passed away and I am asked about their condition by the driver. I would NOT tell the driver about the condition of the driver. I would tell him that at this point we have our best people working on him are doing everything we can for him or her and that my concern now is for them.

There are several reasons I am not going to tell the person their companion has passed away. First and foremost there was sufficient trauma to the vehicle for one person to be killed. It's reasonable to expect that the other occupant has also sustained significant injuries. The emotional toll it will take on the patient will make it difficult to provide optimum patient care. Certainly there will be an increase in heart rate, which could exacerbate a person's condition. Additionally, administering cervical spine procedures will be more complicated.

Lastly, and most importantly, the hospital staff will be able to facilitate delivering the bad news in a controlled environment. This can be made easier by social workers, grief counselors, and family members to help the patient to deal with the loss of their companion.

Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information