Forum Member

Default Pole Chainsaws/ Pole Pruners

Anyone use these in the fire service? We have had internal talks about using them for overhaul in newer homes with higher then average ceilings as well as for soffits and possibly roof ventilation from a bucket. Please give me feedback if you have used them in the fire service or thoughts, both pro's and con's.

Thanks

Forum Member

Most of these things will barely cut tree branches, much less help in overhaul.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

just another object to call a coward stick.

GTRider is right, all the ones I've seen are pretty weak. They'd be more pain than they're worth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Most of these things will barely cut tree branches, much less help in overhaul.
    Agreed. A pole pruner saw is for smaller limbs at best. It can take awhile to cut even a 4" branch. I should know, last storm we had it took over 5 minutes with a brand new pole saw.
    And the chain saw versions are faster, but not really stronger. You would never vent a roof with one. It's nothing more then a weedwacker with a chainsaw on it. It would bog down almost instantly when you hit a two layer roof. And nails? Forget it.

Neither tool has any place in the fire service for anything other then trimming back tree limbs to get an aerial in place.

dd
    Forum Member

Default No way

I'm a highway maintenance supervisor, and we have a gasoline powered pole saw. It is one of the best on the market, but I would not think of using it for overhaul or ventilation. It is actually not that great for sawing small limbs. It is handy for dropping a broken limb when a bucket truck is not available. You will be wasting your money buying one them for fire service use.

We have one fairly powerful pole saw on a bucket truck, but it is only about six feet long and hydraulically powered through hoses attached to the bucket. I would not recommend it for fire service use either.

Thread Information