Forum Member

Default first promotional test... what to do

No responses in the Career Advancement board so I'll try here.

I'm reading for a driver/operator promotion test. 2500 pages of books and a few months. I'd like to get through the material 5-6 times. This is a simple read the book and take a test type exam. No in-basket, no PAT, etc.

Anybody recommend any tips, strategies, etc for reading and absorbing? I'm reading a paragraph then having to go back and make sure I understood it. It's taking a while.

Thanks.

Forum Member

I would recommend reading all of the material you are responsible for one time through. Try to get a grasp of the general concepts and ideas you will be tested on.

Reread and take notes on the areas you feel weak in. Continue to do this until you have pared down the information to its smallest details.

Try not to waste much of your time on things you already know and information that comes easy and instead focus on the things you are having a hard time remembering. I find the best way to do that is to read ALL of it once initially and see what sticks.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Read, reread, and reread the testable materials.

Ensure you answer your questions based on the sources you are responsible for. Said another way, if the question is taken from Book A, ensure you answer with Book A's CORRECT response (even if Book B covered similar material and gave a conflicting answer to the Question asked out of Book A).

Figure out what method of information retention works for you and apply it. I have read to stuff over and over again and then make notes. Some folks can skim through a book and do fine. I cannot.

Give the promotional process the credit and time it is due. It will affect your career, income, and pension.

Good luck.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Back In Black

I would get a face tattoo of the muppet "Animal" holding a maltese cross carrying a child out of a burning orphanage.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I would go through with a highlighter and mark all the points that you think are important, or that would be on a test. Any numbers or lists, or information that is more in depth than general knowledge. Such as change over pressure, standpipe pressures, etc.

Then make a study guide. Its what I used for our academy and it worked.

Also make up scenarios with different types of buildings, hydrant pressure, how much you can flow, that way your totally comfortable with a pump card and what your engine can do. You should commit to memory all the pre-connects on your engine, they wont change.

good luck.

HH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddermonkey76 View Post
    No responses in the Career Advancement board so I'll try here.

I'm reading for a driver/operator promotion test. 2500 pages of books and a few months. I'd like to get through the material 5-6 times. This is a simple read the book and take a test type exam. No in-basket, no PAT, etc.

Anybody recommend any tips, strategies, etc for reading and absorbing? I'm reading a paragraph then having to go back and make sure I understood it. It's taking a while.

Thanks.

You might be able to find study guides particularly if they are IFSTA manuals. A lot of agencies and departments will use the questions and answers within these guides, maybe rearranging the wording for testing.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information