Forum Member

Default department dissision issue

so i have been invited to test at spring field mo. and omaha neberaska but testing is the same day what department should i choose to test for i know omaha will probably have more applicants. i just wanted to know what your opinions were thanks
    a fire fighter does his job because its his calling, NOT because he wants to be a hero.

Forum Member

Cool Microsoft Word has spell check?????

Quote Originally Posted by lieb91 View Post
    so i have been invited to test at spring field mo. and omaha neberaska but testing is the same day what department should i choose to test for i know omaha will probably have more applicants. i just wanted to know what your opinions were thanks
    well I wouldn't go to either spellling like that...

...now on the real side of things. Look at which you have a better shot at getting. Omaha has more applicants but will you be better than most? Springfield (one word) might be a better fit since there is less people testing and that means better odds. And as weird as it sounds, go with whatever your guts tells you to do.

Forum Member

Also look at retirement and benefits? If this will be a career dept, then you want something that will support you and your family the best in the future.

Forum Member

How many badges are you looking for? One right? Try to find out how many they might hire at both locations. The odds might be better at the one where more applicants are taking the test but hiring more.

I was in the same situation where 2 departments were testing on the same day. I knew someone who worked at one of the departments. He told me to take the other test because they were only hiring one firefighter. I took the other test. I stayed in my car until the written was about to start psyching myself up. I didn't talk to any of the other candidates. Passed the written with a 98%, came of number one in the oral and the list 5 points ahead of number 2 and was hired.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicintheCLE View Post
    well I wouldn't go to either spellling like that....
    And what about your english composition/sentence structure skills?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

i know my spelling is not the best, but i get on here after working 10 hours and being up for almost 20 so im tired when i get on here and i know its some thing i have to work on. As for the department i think im going to test springfield little smaller and seems to have a good foundation to it. thanks for alll the advise.
    a fire fighter does his job because its his calling, NOT because he wants to be a hero.

Forum Member

i know my spelling is not the best, but i get on here after working 10 hours and being up for almost 20 so im tired when i get on here and i know its some thing i have to work on. As for the department i think im going to test springfield little smaller and seems to have a good foundation to it. thanks for alll the advise.
    No worries man. I work 12 hour shifts and I know how it is after a long day at work. Just wanted to razz ya a little bit.

Forum Member

Man throw that cell phone texting business away. Get into the real world and learn how to construct proper grammar, word structure.

Also most young folks now days seem to start off a sentence with "SO" or "LIKE". Stop that.

If you were on the job and had to write a report, which we all have to, and you wrote like you have written within this forum, it would be red marked and given back to you to correct and resubmit.

If you are in school stay there until you learn the proper English. If the teachers aren't teaching that as they did when I went to school, you are getting short cut in school.

Also delete that cheesy signature line you have, as you know absolutely nothing about the fire service.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

First off donít judge people for there signatures I have a reason for mine just like you have one for yours. I have been evolved with the fire service for 3 years and have seen guys that only join so they can be called a hero by there kid wont do any training with the department other than mandatory trainings and sorry this is not the guy I want going into a fire with me im there to do my job not to come out a hero!!! Secondly were did I use cell phone language? and lastly im going to stand up for all the new comers people like you run off because you put them down, for spelling or what ever it may be the fire service is a band of brothers and sisters coming together to raise the others up with a pat on the back and advise on how to better your self not to be a critic on all the little things. I have been told I would never make it past FF1 by a college advisor I now have FF1 FF2 hazmat ops and working on driver operator. So I must say thank you just gave me more encouragement to make my self better.

Forum Member

This can't be real...

Forum Member

and lastly im going to stand up for all the new comers people like you run off because you put them down, for spelling or what ever it may be the fire service is a band of brothers and sisters coming together to raise the others up with a pat on the back and advise on how to better your self not to be a critic on all the little things.
    Have you ever been in a firehouse? Have you ever seen the sh*t that the guys (and girls) give each other? Doesn't seem like it. If you're going to get your panties all in a bunch because we are riding you about your spelling and sentence structure, then you need to find a different field. We are hard on each other because it makes us better. Will some of the time it cross that "line in the sand"? Yeah, but we all know when to get close to that line and when to back off. If I had to reason a guess from your screenname you're probably 19-20? You've got a lot to learn (including spelling and sentence structure). Sack up and give some of the sh*t back, if not I don't think you will have much of a "dissision" to make.

Forum Member

Have you ever been in a firehouse? Have you ever seen the sh*t that the guys (and girls) give each other? Doesn't seem like it. If you're going to get your panties all in a bunch because we are riding you about your spelling and sentence structure, then you need to find a different field. We are hard on each other because it makes us better. Will some of the time it cross that "line in the sand"? Yeah, but we all know when to get close to that line and when to back off. If I had to reason a guess from your screenname you're probably 19-20? You've got a lot to learn (including spelling and sentence structure). Sack up and give some of the sh*t back, if not I don't think you will have much of a "dissision" to make.
    He's right lieb.
    "coming together to raise the others up with a pat on the back?" Are you kidding? Guys at my station, including me, insult each other and screw with each other on a regular basis. You're getting whiny because you were called out on your spelling. Then fix it! And tell us all to screw off!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Man throw that cell phone texting business away. Get into the real world and learn how to construct proper grammar, word structure.

Also most young folks now days seem to start off a sentence with "SO" or "LIKE". Stop that.

If you were on the job and had to write a report, which we all have to, and you wrote like you have written within this forum, it would be red marked and given back to you to correct and resubmit.

If you are in school stay there until you learn the proper English. If the teachers aren't teaching that as they did when I went to school, you are getting short cut in school.

Also delete that cheesy signature line you have, as you know absolutely nothing about the fire service.

I agree with you on so many levels, it's like you read my mind. I've been a proponent of good grammar for a while. But so many "kids" come on here with a goody "team player" comment and excuse, it's stupid.

Well put!

Forum Member

Compare salaries vs cost of living. If you're thinking of having a family (if you don't all ready), the school structure. The retirement, benefits, pension, the city's stability in today's economy, etc, etc. Also, see if you find any information on the members of the department and their tenure with the FD. Some guys view a FD as a stepping stone for a lateral to a bigger place.

Picking a department to go test at can be a heavy decision. Think about more than who has the coolest stuff or runs the most calls. I know some guys who are in departments who see stuff the movies are made of... but they have barely any benefits, probably won't have any pension, and this is only if they survive that long with the man power cuts the city makes.

If hired, this FD will basically become your second home. There's a lot of stuff to weigh in on for where you're going to spend a large portion of your life...

Forum Member

Talking

go to springfield my brother is going to omaha!

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arharris83 View Post
    Just brush up on your spelling and grammar before either test and you should be fine.
    Bingo. Couldn't agree more

Forum Member

Just let him go and he will self destruct by himself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Just let him go and he will self destruct by himself.
    Hey now...

Don't forget "a fire fighter does his job because its his calling, NOT because he wants to be a hero."

Forum Member

Hey now...

Don't forget "a fire fighter does his job because its his calling, NOT because he wants to be a hero."

That is what he is saying.

He isn't a firefighter, but a kid in school who dreams that he may be a firefighter one day.

Not knowing anything about the position, he comes here and writes like the school kid he is.

If he can't write better than he is showing us, then he may need to stay in school until he reaches 25 years of age, by then, he may just catch on.

I've had new hires come on the job and entered drill school who couldn't write or do match. I spent several weeks trying to teach them the basic skills, and still they didn't do well on written exams.

Forum Member

I think it's nuts that we even have to have this conversation. If these kids can't even spell and speak with proper English, then how on God's green earth is the profession EVER going to be taken seriously.

I wish these people would just stick to jobs that don't involve saving lives. I'd sleep a lot better at night.

Or, as an alternative......study SUPER hard and get their grammar under control. Put the book and class time in and actually sound like a somewhat intelligent person.

Just my humble opinion.

Take care...
    Pete

Thread Information