Forum Member

Default Pump operating techniques

Always looking to hear how others operate. Here's the scenario:
    Your engine (w/ electronic pressure gov., 1000 gals water onboard, and gated steamer connections) is setting up to work out of two fold-a-tanks. You'll need to supply 1-1 3/4" hand line (primary) @ 125psi and 1-2 1/2" handline (secondary) @ 50 psi. You will also have a 1 3/4" line going to a tank transfer, to move water from one tank to another, which will need to operate @ 100 psi once the 2 fold-a-tanks are set up. Let's not worry about friction losses. You may have to deal with not enough tankers to keep the tanks full initially (sporadic loads until more tankers arrive). I'd just like to hear how you would set and maintain all these different pressures as well managing your water supply. I realize I can't possible give 100% of the info you need, but hope that this is enough for some feedback.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3260e View Post
    Always looking to hear how others operate. Here's the scenario:
    Your engine (w/ electronic pressure gov., 1000 gals water onboard, and gated steamer connections) is setting up to work out of two fold-a-tanks. You'll need to supply 1-1 3/4" hand line (primary) @ 125psi and 1-2 1/2" handline (secondary) @ 50 psi. You will also have a 1 3/4" line going to a tank transfer, to move water from one tank to another, which will need to operate @ 100 psi once the 2 fold-a-tanks are set up. Let's not worry about friction losses. You may have to deal with not enough tankers to keep the tanks full initially (sporadic loads until more tankers arrive). I'd just like to hear how you would set and maintain all these different pressures as well managing your water supply. I realize I can't possible give 100% of the info you need, but hope that this is enough for some feedback.
    1. Set pump pressure for highest required discharge pressure, gate back all lines requiring lower pressures.

2. When water supply dwindles, notify water supply sector and IC in that order.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

and "steal"as much water as possible to keep the booster tank on your engine full. practice practice
    ?

Forum Member

Always try to keep the booster tank full. If a tanker wrecks or breaks down to interrupt water for the drop tanks, you have a shot at enough to evacuate interior crews.
    FWBBuff is right on the money on the how to do it part.
    With a water transfer device, it is often necessary to just bump the transfer 1.5" open for a few moments to get the water to start moving from tank to tank, so high pressure isn't needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

so we are looking for 400 gpm for how long? shouldn't it be more water quicker aka "blitz" to put it out quicker? long term shuttles with the attack pumper being the dump site drafting tanker just does not sound like a good idea.

why not use a nurse/draft engine (even a pumper/tanker) to relay to the initial attack engine?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Default Put the white stuff on the red stuff

Never speck a truck without class-A foam system on it. Virtually all of your water supply issues will be drastically reduced. The 1000 gallons on your truck will act like 3000 gallons.

Thread Information