Forum Member

Default TN First Responder license processing time

Does anyone know what the processing time for a First Responder license in TN is? I just passed my NREMT exam yesterday and the licensing fees and application were actually sent into the state a month ago. Am I looking at Days, Weeks or Months?

Thanks in advance
    Eric

Forum Member
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I'm familar with that site, unfortunately it doesn't seem to list any turn around times. I would ask around at my own department but most of them have been licensed for years and the process has changed so they don't know what the current turn around time is. I was hoping to find someone here who is familiar with the current process.

Thanks for your input.

Eric

Forum Member

Took me about 2 months to recieve my EMT license, so I'd assume around the same time frame..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    Took me about 2 months to recieve my EMT license, so I'd assume around the same time frame..
    That's probably a good assumption since it all goes through the same office.

Thanks for the info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post
    Does anyone know what the processing time for a First Responder license in TN is? I just passed my NREMT exam yesterday and the licensing fees and application were actually sent into the state a month ago. Am I looking at Days, Weeks or Months?

Thanks in advance
    Eric
    It will probably be a LONG time. TN does not license First Responders.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    It will probably be a LONG time. TN does not license First Responders.
    Umm, yes they do. First Responder in TN is the lowest level of state licensed pre-hospital emergency medical providers. There is legislation out there to change the terminology to Emergency Medical Responder to avoid confusion with the general term "first responder" but I don't know how long until that occurs.

http://health.state.tn.us/EMS/personnellicensure.htm

Click License information at the top and then initial licensure.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post
    Umm, yes they do. First Responder in TN is the lowest level of state licensed pre-hospital emergency medical providers. There is legislation out there to change the terminology to Emergency Medical Responder to avoid confusion with the general term "first responder" but I don't know how long until that occurs.

http://health.state.tn.us/EMS/personnellicensure.htm

Click License information at the top and then initial licensure.
    Ummm, no they do not.

Direct quote from the page you sent me to.

'Individuals seeking EMS Professional Certification or License in TN must meet the following Requirements:

First Responder:
    Submit a completed application for certification
    Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
    Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
    Must provide documentation of current Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Health Care Provider
    Must have successfully completed a board approved First Responder training program
    Must obtain a passing score on a board approved written examination
    Must submit application and certification fees.
    Must complete are requirements for certification within two years of course completion date."

Notice, the header says CERTIFICATION or LICENSE.

Now, under the First Responder section it says you must "Submit a completed application for certification". Nothing about licensing, but CERTIFICATION

There is a world of difference.

Forum Member

I'll give it to you on semantics. Yes the state does specify it as a certification, but in the end it doesn't make a "world of difference" for me. With the certification and the authorization from the local EMS agency I will be legally allowed to practice at the First Responder level. Without those I would not be allowed. For my purposes that's really the same as a license.
    Ummm, no they do not.

Direct quote from the page you sent me to.

'Individuals seeking EMS Professional Certification or License in TN must meet the following Requirements:

First Responder:
    Submit a completed application for certification
    Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
    Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
    Must provide documentation of current Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Health Care Provider
    Must have successfully completed a board approved First Responder training program
    Must obtain a passing score on a board approved written examination
    Must submit application and certification fees.
    Must complete are requirements for certification within two years of course completion date."

Notice, the header says CERTIFICATION or LICENSE.

Now, under the First Responder section it says you must "Submit a completed application for certification". Nothing about licensing, but CERTIFICATION

There is a world of difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can call yourself whatever works, but TN (and most other states) consider it certification, prefering to spend time on the EMT and Medic licenses where the potential to do harm is greater.

First Responder is little more than basic first aid with 02. Not to demean it, but it is the lowest level.

Forum Member

Yes, You are correc tthat they call it a certification but in the end it's actually the same application form, the same background check and it's mailed to and processed through the same office.

No offense taken on the "lowest level" you're absolutely right on that. The thing is even if we have First Aid certification there is no authorization to practice basic first aid in my county. Certified individuals can provide CPR or you can address immediate life threats like a severe arterial bleed for example but nothing else.

As a First Responder I'll be able to provide more assistance and help to my community. It may be just applying o2 or perhaps splinting a broken limb, applying a c-collar or other mitigation and stabilization until the ambulance arrives but it will help to protect the members of my community, it will allow me to provide aid and comfort, and if I'm lucky one day I'll have the opportunity to help save a life. That's what it's about for me. As far as what to call me, FireFighter is fine with me. First Responder certification is just a means to an end.

You can call yourself whatever works, but TN (and most other states) consider it certification, prefering to spend time on the EMT and Medic licenses where the potential to do harm is greater.

First Responder is little more than basic first aid with 02. Not to demean it, but it is the lowest level.

Forum Member

In rural areas first responders make the world go round.
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

Typically, the website will list you as good to go long before you get the paperwork in the mail. If you're listed as an "unapproved applicant" with a closed application, you didn't pass.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Typically, the website will list you as good to go long before you get the paperwork in the mail. If you're listed as an "unapproved applicant" with a closed application, you didn't pass.
    I've already received my certification from NREMT in the mail so I know I passed the test.

As far as the state licensure verification site I'm still an Unapproved Applicant with a status of "Application In Process". I don't have anything that's going to cause problems on my background check so it's just a case of waiting for them to complete their process I'm sure.

Thanks for your iput.

Eric

Thread Information