Forum Member

Default Oral Board Question?

Ok got a question I was asked in a recent oral board interveiw. One that I havnt seen anywhere. After talking with a few people I know I dont like my anwser just want to see what others would anwser.

As an EMT-Basic there are not many drugs you can give that you have to call med control for. Now your in a situation that you need to call med control for to admister this drug in what is a current life or death situation. You have given this drug in the past. However you keep trying and are unable to get ahold of med control. No ALS on scene. What would you do?
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Yah, this is a tough question...

I would have probably answered along the lines of:

I'm trained as an EMT-B, I will treat the patient the best of my ability with the training and guidelines I have learned. If I could not receive medical order to administer drug "x", I would continue to monitor and do everything I am authorized/trained to do. Policies / rules are put in place to protect me and bystanders, although this drug could potentially save the patient, legally I am not covered if there was some contraindication due to the administration of drug "x".

Since ALS has been contacted and on way, and you have tried contacting medical control, I believe you have done all you are qualified to do.

Some may argue or play the other role of life preservation is goal #1, and is my duty to do everything it takes to accomplish that. (I believe panel board will look negatively on the fact that you are willing to break rules to accomplish tasks)

Just my thoughts... and curious to see what others think.

What was your answer?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Ok got a question I was asked in a recent oral board interveiw. One that I havnt seen anywhere. After talking with a few people I know I dont like my anwser just want to see what others would anwser.

As an EMT-Basic there are not many drugs you can give that you have to call med control for. Now your in a situation that you need to call med control for to admister this drug in what is a current life or death situation. You have given this drug in the past. However you keep trying and are unable to get ahold of med control. No ALS on scene. What would you do?
    Become a Paramedic...

But beyond that, I agree with the responce above. Can't put it much better than that.

Protocols are put in place for a reason. Normally it's because someone somewhere along the line messed something up and now there is a "rule" in place about that. You have to follow your protocols. If it says to contact medical control about admistering a drug, then do so. I know some Paramedics that have done the "do first and ask questions later" approach which sometimes works but and a big BUT it can get you in to trouble.

Go with what jjohnson3 said...
    Last edited by ffmedicintheCLE; 12-09-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnson3 View Post
    What was your answer?
    I of course went with the do and ask for forgivness later and if med control had an issue with it. I know that I would be out of a job and that is something while unfornate for me. I could live with if I saved a life.
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

I of course went with the do and ask for forgivness later and if med control had an issue with it. I know that I would be out of a job and that is something while unfornate for me. I could live with if I saved a life.
    You havenít saved a life, and you may have cost yourself a job. This is a commonly asked question, usually of medics, but the responses above are absolutely correct.

There is no patient; this is an oral board asking you if you know the rules and will you follow them when you are out on your own. Donít get me wrong, if you have to use a Bic pen to open someoneís throat in real life, do it. But donít tell us in an interview that you know what the rule is, why the rule is there, but are willing to do what you think is right. That will be the wrong answer every time itís asked.

To expand on one of the above responses, I would say, ďI have ALS coming, and I am either going to jam this person to the hospital or wait for them, which ever is going to help this person the most. Then I am going to find out what went wrong, with the system, with me, and how I can keep this from happening in the future. Maybe I can get the number in my cell phone which may have worked, talk to more experienced co-workers and see what they may have done. And then talk to the people at Med. control and find how they would have me handle the situation in the future. Maybe this is a situation we can use to solve problems like this. Most jurisdictions have a policy for dealing with these situations, maybe we need one. This is something that may happen to me once in my career, but I will do everything I can to make sure there is never a second time. I would feel partially responsible if I had this happen to me once and didnít do everything in my power to make sure it never happens again on my watchĒ.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Can you name the drugs you ARE ALLOWED TO GIVE AS A EMT-B??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    You havenít saved a life, and you may have cost yourself a job. This is a commonly asked question, usually of medics, but the responses above are absolutely correct.

There is no patient; this is an oral board asking you if you know the rules and will you follow them when you are out on your own. Donít get me wrong, if you have to use a Bic pen to open someoneís throat in real life, do it. But donít tell us in an interview that you know what the rule is, why the rule is there, but are willing to do what you think is right. That will be the wrong answer every time itís asked.
    See and I was trying to answer it with what I would really do. Was not thinking about what they want to hear. But good to know for the future this was my first oral board. The big thing I can take from this is this are not scary as long as you know and can answer the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Can you name the drugs you ARE ALLOWED TO GIVE AS A EMT-B??
    Aspirin, Nitro (assisted), Epi Pen (assisted), Albutral inhaler (assisted), Charcoal, Narcan, D50. And Oral Glucose
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

You took the bait on this scenario based question.

How many other questions did you stumble on not realizing you were stepping on land mines. Yes, this was your first interview. How many orals do you think you would have to take to begin making the cut to move forward?? In this environment you canít afford to waste any opportunities. As you learned itís not easy trying to wing it. You have to prepared for every step the hiring process before you show up. Especially the oral board where up to 100% of your score to be hired happens.

This is a perfect example how you can be fooled on a scenario question. I believe there are only 30 oral board questions. They can be disguised in hundreds of different ways.

Here is a simple way to break a disguised question down. Dissect the question down to its simplest term, one word, of what the question is really about (i.e. stealing, drugs, drinking, etc.). Once you have removed the disguise, you can place it in one of the 30 plus oral board questions you already have answers for.

So what was this question about? Seeing if you would follow department policy, guidelines, rules, regs, SOPís.

Fantasy land:

The oral interview is like fantasy land. It is not like the real world. Your answers in the oral board might not be what you would do in real life. Donít fall into the trap. The board understands the rules. You canít fool them. If you try, the board will crank up the music and let you dance your fool head off. Donít try to intellectualize and bring heavy logic to this process. If you do, someone, who understands the rules in fantasy land better will get the badge. So, please follow the yellow brick road rules in fantasy land and donít look behind the curtain.

I talked to a medic candidate after he was asked in his oral, ďYouíre on the line with the hospital giving them on scene evaluation of a patient. Youíre asking for the OK to push some drugs and other treatment you feel is best for the patient. They tell him no. What are you going to do. Now understand on the panel was a hospital MCIN. He tells them he would use the treatment he asked to provide and work it out with the hospital when he got there.Ē I said, ďYou didnít!Ē Yep. No, he didnít make the list.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

As has been previously pointed out, you are NOT permitted to administer drugs without being under the umbrella of a physician. In effect, you were practicing medicine without a license. Even IF you did save the person's life, you will be terminated for not following the policy. This will not only be a departmental ruling, but also a ruling from the local Emergency Medical Services authority. In summary, your EMT license *(which is often a requirement of employment) will be suspended.

Whether the question has an EEMS nexus, or simply a departmental policy, it is up to you to FOLLOW the policies. You must remember that policies and are written to make sure everyone acts the same way, looks the same and is predictable in the way they do things such as throwing a ladder or pulling a hose.

Telling an oral board that you will violate a policy or procedure BEFORE being hired (or on probation), is a sure way to get an opportunity to practice your interview skills for the next interview as you probably bomber this one.....
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information