Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cobb County, GA is Hiring

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ontheNZL View Post
    Ok so who got a top score. I got an 86.something...
    I got an 89 on my written.

Forum Member

nice! you must be better in math than me. lol...

Forum Member

ontheNZL were you in the top 200 with the 86 score?

MembersZone Subscriber

i had an 86 and wasn't in top 200. wondering what the cutoff was

Forum Member

I got 79... I take it I was no where near the top 200.

Forum Member

Was it only the top 200 that made it to the PAT?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Was it only the top 200 that made it to the PAT?

yes at least that's what hr told me

Forum Member

Anyone heard anything lately?

Forum Member

Anyone heard anything yet...

Forum Member

Not yet. I would imagine by the end of the month, though.

Forum Member

Have you guys heard anything? I got an email today saying I need to schedule my date for the interview panel. Also said my app was still under review process by the Internal Affairs dept. I thought in orientation they said that you had to pass each step to move onto the next -- maybe not? My online status changed to "in progress".

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got an email from HR saying that they have kept my application open and to schedule the physical exam. Im just wondering if anyone else has gotten this email.

Did they not have enough people pass the physical or were people failing background checks/interviews?

Forum Member

@zachryw2001 -- did your email ask you to schedule your physical agility/abilities test or your physical exam?!? Had you been told you'd been dropped after the Civil Service written test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    @zachryw2001 -- did your email ask you to schedule your physical agility/abilities test or your physical exam?!? Had you been told you'd been dropped after the Civil Service written test?
    Initially I did not get offered the physical agility/abilities test. But I got this e-mail today.

"Dear Applicant:

Congratulations! Your application has remained under consideration for the position of Firefighter and you are invited to participate in the next phase of the testing process.

The practice sessions will be conducted on Monday April 30th and Tuesday May 1st. The start times will be 8:00am and 1:00pm. All sessions will be held at the Public Safety Training Center at 2109 Valor Drive, Marietta.

The actual physical agility testing will be conducted during the week of June 4th (dates and times will be given at the practice). These sessions will also be held at the Public Safety Training Center at 2109 Valor Drive Marietta. "

So just wondering if they didn't get enough qualified people to pass the physical abilities test?

Forum Member

That's great news - congrats! I can't believe they didn't get enough people out of 1,000 applicants, but you never know. Maybe the background checks bumped people out too. I'll have my oral board interview before the next round of physical abilities tests -- so they'll have several groups of us going through different phases at different times. Wonder if that's normal, or maybe there's a second class opening up? Can't imagine so.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's great news - congrats! I can't believe they didn't get enough people out of 1,000 applicants, but you never know. Maybe the background checks bumped people out too. I'll have my oral board interview before the next round of physical abilities tests -- so they'll have several groups of us going through different phases at different times. Wonder if that's normal, or maybe there's a second class opening up? Can't imagine so.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but out of the 1000 that took the test, only the top 200 scores moved on the the physical agility test. It makes a little more sense that they couldn't find a good enough pool of applicants from 200 people due to people failing physical and background checks, etc.

Also could you help me understand how the physical is graded. Is a pass/fail with a set time to complete it in? Or is each event graded individually and then applicants are put in ranked order? Also I just watched the video that they have posted on their website and was just wondering if that is pretty accurate as far a wearing a helmet, Scott pack, and gloves?

Thanks again for any info and good luck on your interview.

Forum Member

Actually, I think it was over 2000 applicants.

There is a max cut-off time for the physical agility (I believe it's 11 min 30 sec). Your total time is how you're ranked (mine was 7 min 35 sec). You're strongly encouraged to test early at practice sessions. Yes, you wear helmet, air pack, & gloves. Best of luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, I think it was over 2000 applicants.

There is a max cut-off time for the physical agility (I believe it's 11 min 30 sec). Your total time is how you're ranked (mine was 7 min 35 sec). You're strongly encouraged to test early at practice sessions. Yes, you wear helmet, air pack, & gloves. Best of luck.
    If you don't mind me asking what did you rank with that time?

Forum Member

They didn't give us a ranking on that part.

MembersZone Subscriber

I spoke with HR today and got some clarification on some things. Apparently out of the 200 that passed the written and took the PAT, they didn't get enough qualified people so they took the next 75 names on the list. The 75 new names will go thru a little bit of a faster process, in order to 'catch up' with the people that have already done the PAT and have interviews scheduled.

Tentatively the start date for the academy is August 20th. The are looking to hire 25 people this time around.

Forum Member

Good to know, thanks for sharing! Let me know how you do on the PAT.

MembersZone Subscriber

If I hear anything else I'll post. Will do and good luck on your interview.

After you completed the PAT did they give you a background packet to fill out?

Forum Member

Sorry that I couldn't answer any of your questions before today. I was actually part of the interview panel and had to remain objective in every way possible. I'm still not allowed to answer a lot of questions, so don't think I'm ignoring you if you ask me a question and I don't answer it.

The second 75 applicants (Tier 2) were not chosen to move on b/c there weren't enough qualified applicants in the first tier. The interviews hadn't even started when HR told one of you that piece of mis-information. The second 75 were chosen to prepare for another class, but I'm guessing that a few of the Tier 2 applicants may be used 'IF' the first tier runs out of qualified applicants...which is doubtful. It's hard to believe that they'll go through the first 80 candidates in Tier 1 and not find enough to fill a class. Who knows though...weirder things have happened.

Also, there was a total of 2,000 applicants that took the written exam, not 1,000. The Cobb Fire hiring process is not speedy for a reason. Cobb is very picky and proud of it. Every FF, ENG, LT, Capt, and Batt Chief relies on the hiring process to find only the best. This job isn't for everyone...it's a calling. And Cobb isn't just a fire department...it's the best.

Good luck to everyone.
    "Beer comes in bottles. Fish come in tanks. Air comes in cylinders!"
    -Ron Hopkins, Eastern Kentucky University Fire Professor

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMaiden View Post
    Sorry that I couldn't answer any of your questions before today. I was actually part of the interview panel and had to remain objective in every way possible. I'm still not allowed to answer a lot of questions, so don't think I'm ignoring you if you ask me a question and I don't answer it.

The second 75 applicants (Tier 2) were not chosen to move on b/c there weren't enough qualified applicants in the first tier. The interviews hadn't even started when HR told one of you that piece of mis-information. The second 75 were chosen to prepare for another class, but I'm guessing that a few of the Tier 2 applicants may be used 'IF' the first tier runs out of qualified applicants...which is doubtful. It's hard to believe that they'll go through the first 80 candidates in Tier 1 and not find enough to fill a class. Who knows though...weirder things have happened.

Also, there was a total of 2,000 applicants that took the written exam, not 1,000. The Cobb Fire hiring process is not speedy for a reason. Cobb is very picky and proud of it. Every FF, ENG, LT, Capt, and Batt Chief relies on the hiring process to find only the best. This job isn't for everyone...it's a calling. And Cobb isn't just a fire department...it's the best.

Good luck to everyone.
    Thank you for the update.

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything new?

Thread Information