Thread: Trade skills

Forum Member

Question Trade skills

I know now a days, departments are looking for EMT's and Paramedics due to the increased amount of EMS calls. I recently obtained my EMT, looking to get onto an ambulance in Los Angeles County. Some departments like candidates with fire science education and some also like military vets. What I don't see alot of is guys from different trades pursueing fire department.

I was curious if having a trade skill is beneficial now a days since maybe perhaps alot of guys know how fire behaves and not so much how tools are used. Would learning a new trade or working in a trade job would help? Which trades are the most beneficial?

I figured that framing, plumbing, or electrical are the better trades because they help guys learn the construction of different buildings. Maybe im wrong, I don't know. Thanks for any input you guys have.
    "Squad 51.. Traffic Collision, 9876 mayberry rd... Time out 5 minutes. Squad 51"

Forum Member

Any further education/ training is good

The fd runs into so many scenarios, that a diversified crew is good to have

But you might look at the bulk of the calls for service are, and that is where the focus of training should be

Forum Member

Right. Im just wondering if having any knowledge like that would benefit. I mean they do need guys who are tool junkies.
    "Squad 51.. Traffic Collision, 9876 mayberry rd... Time out 5 minutes. Squad 51"

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone plays a special part. So whatever you find to be your "calling" can help the team out. On my crew, I'm the medical guy, because I worked on an ambulance for several years before joining my current department. We have one guy who is a small engine mechanic, so he helps out all the saws and snow blowers that we have at the station. We have one guy who is a lock smith, that skill is awesome...we have yet to find a door he can't get through. Basically there are too many different scenarios to really go through. Most of the calls are medical I think, so that is a skill that is always useful. thats my 2cents

Forum Member

Since you already have an interest in the EMS side your time could best be used in becoming a medic. Up to 80% of the job offerings are for fire/medics.

I see you tag line was from Squad 51. Some years ago we were at the CSFA convention on So Cal with our restored 1923 Seagrave engine. Gage and Desoto were at some of the functions. We heard they were going to bring Squad 51 to the picinic. We took our '23 and pulled in right next to Squad 51. It was huge fun.

You can see the picture here: http://www.eatstress.com/squad51.htm

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Wow captbob thats awesome. Is that one of the old steamers? I was at the open house they had at station 127 with the engine and squad 51. That was a sight to see.

I think the medical route is the way im gonna go. I always thought it would be a good idea to be cross-trained in certain skills. I even thought of cooking haha.

Thanks for all of your insight by the way. Its very much appreciated.

Forum Member

Happy to help. Remember no matter what your credential if you can't present them in the interview you will never, ever see a badge!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Happy to help. Remember no matter what your credential if you can't present them in the interview you will never, ever see a badge!
    Amen to that.

tcd
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt611 View Post
    ...I always thought it would be a good idea to be cross-trained in certain skills. I even thought of cooking haha.
    I would imagine that a trained cook in the firehouse would be held in pretty high regard!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tcd View Post
    I would imagine that a trained cook in the firehouse would be held in pretty high regard!
    I think everyone in the firehouse would be pretty happy to have a trained cook on shift lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt611 View Post
    Wow captbob thats awesome. Is that one of the old steamers? I was at the open house they had at station 127 with the engine and squad 51. That was a sight to see.

I think the medical route is the way im gonna go. I always thought it would be a good idea to be cross-trained in certain skills. I even thought of cooking haha.

Thanks for all of your insight by the way. Its very much appreciated.
    That wasn't a photo of a steamer, unless it got overheated while pumping and then it may let off some steam.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    That wasn't a photo of a steamer, unless it got overheated while pumping and then it may let off some steam.
    Which one was that? Im very interested in learning about the different types of engines used. Today i'm able to learn quite a bit about the modern engines but not so much the older rigs. I don't get a chance to see them often.

Thread Information