Forum Member

Default What is everyones training look like

I am trying to get an idea of how other departments train. Seems like since I started our department doesn't to alot of monthly training or group training at all. Everyone is wanting to get to that point I just think no one knows exactly how to get attendance up to it or if to make it mandatory. So, I'm just wanting to know how other departments operate in this area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Describe your department, location, etc...
    Amateurs Train Till They Get It Right, Professionals Train Till They Can't Get It Wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

we are a career dept and i work with a crew that trains every weekday that we work.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    we are a career dept and i work with a crew that trains every weekday that we work.
    My combo department trains every day - career members on the clock and volunteers that are around.

They also train once a week, at night. for the volunteer staff.

Volunteer department currently trains 2 nights a month. We are gong back to once a week starting in January.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Once a week with some Saturdays or Sundays mixed in, but only about 4 per year. Required that members pull 12 drills per year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of our volunteer operations are organized around in-station duty crews. The crew will do some training almost every shift.. This can be as simple as a educational video or round-table discussion or something longer like a live-fire exercise at the fire academy. Figure at least an hour and sometimes two or three.
    The good part about that is there is a lot of training. The downside is it's mostly single-company. That's good for the crew but doesn't provide much opportunity for training with the other duty crews or paid platoons.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Default Traning Schedule

I currently Volunteer for a Paid/volunteer dept In Immokalee Fl. The paid guys train on there shifts during the weekdays. The volunteers Train the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month. If you cannot attend a training You Just make it up on the days you volunteer on shift. Hope this helps

Forum Member

My department does twice a month, 4 hours each time. Topics are usually chosen ahead of time based on what the Training Division sees as an area needing refreshing or more focus on, or if we happen to get in a new piece of equipment we'll train on it.

We also take 1 meeting night a quarter and use it for EMS training. Those who aren't EMS certified on my department take the night and work on vehicle or station maintenance.

For specialized topics, like RIT for example, we pick a seperate training time and date so we can focus on that topic.

For certification courses, like FF1, we'll set up a schedule with our new recruits and have them attend the necessary courses. For example, we're running a FF2 course this spring to get the balance of our department up to FF2 (about 60% are currently not). We're doing this on 4 seperate Sundays in February and March.

Forum Member

My volunteer dept. has a meeting every tues. night, except for holidays. Once a month is the Association meeting where we take care of the business of the association. (It's separate from the actual official twp. FD business that is handled during the township trustees meetings) Another tues. night is the officers meeting and we do maintenance like run the equipment and clean the station. The rest of the tues. nights are devoted to training, usually at least two hrs., but sometimes as much as four. On occaision we'll do a saturday, especially if we are doing something like a live burn. We also participate with other depts on things like Hazmat drills or tanker ops. Ohio requires 18 hrs per year of continuing education, and our dept requires attendance of at least 10 drills per year. On some of the longer drills, the association buys pizza.

Forum Member

We meet once a month, not enough if you ask me. We plan on what we want to do a few weeks before hand and make power points and make hands on training after are meeting and power point. We train on RIT, search, Fire Attack, ladders, pumping, hazmat awareness, ect. But we have houses that we can use to train in but most of the times we train in are apparatus bay. We try to train as much as we can, but itís very hard as a volunteer department to train a lot mainly because everyone on are department has a full time job other than firefighting and itís very difficult. But we just have to do the best we can and train as much as we can.

Forum Member

We basically train in two different ways. Department Training and "train whenever you want with friends"... ha We have set up a monthly training day for the first monday of the month. I took 6 months for Basic Firefighting Skills (Ladders, RIT, SCBA, Fire Attack, etc..) and 6 months for technical (rope, con space, hazmat, SAR, etc..) I rotate the months even and odd for the type of training. So odd months are basic and even are technical. Keep things pretty interesting and covers a good spectrum of an all-hazards approach.

Forum Member

I have some pictures if you want...

My department trains every Wednesday, with the first Wednesday of the month reserved for association meetings. We don't have any staffing so we have to do all our hose testing, inventory and stuff of that nature in our weekly training's. We do alot of extrication and search and rescue training's in the winter and water rescue and water movement training's in the summer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by twohats View Post
    Describe your department, location, etc...
    We are a completly volunteer department with 19 members. We have a population of 1500 residents in a 1 sq. mi. area. We also have to major factories and two intersecting highways in our town as well as train tracks which poses a real haz mat danger.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChathamVFD9921 View Post
    I have some pictures if you want...

My department trains every Wednesday, with the first Wednesday of the month reserved for association meetings. We don't have any staffing so we have to do all our hose testing, inventory and stuff of that nature in our weekly training's. We do alot of extrication and search and rescue training's in the winter and water rescue and water movement training's in the summer.
    I would love to see some pictures of what yall are doing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dcrittenden1983 View Post
    We are a completly volunteer department with 19 members. We have a population of 1500 residents in a 1 sq. mi. area. We also have to major factories and two intersecting highways in our town as well as train tracks which poses a real haz mat danger.
    What we do will probably not work for you ( 140+ paid members ). What an agency did that I volunteer for is conduct weekly training one evening a week as well as one Saturday or Sunday per month.

Needs assessment... base training on the hazards in your response area. Also keep in mind NFPA Standards as well as any state regulations / requirements.

There is also some web based training that can be utilized as well. Subscription programs or you can build your own using free resources on the web. Just remember, nothing beats hands on!

Gauge the group, if you make the requirements too high, then you will loose members. It may be a balancing act to coordinate.
    Amateurs Train Till They Get It Right, Professionals Train Till They Can't Get It Wrong.

Forum Member

We have 2 meetings per month. One for business one for training. The officers (usually the 1st assistant) plan the training.We try to have a different topic each month. Even though Firefighter I is not required yet we try to teach with Firefighter I & II in mind. Its always great when one of the members comes up with an idea and wants to help. We are Firefighter and First Responder so we mix up medical and fire training. We are a 30 member 100% volunteer and usually get at least a 75% turnout at most meetings. This seems to work for us. Getting guys to attend more than a couple meetings per month would be tough. IMHO we could have fewer business meetings and the department might run better. Some decisions are better left with the officers and Fire District. With 20+ guys (and gals) at a business meeting things just dont get done. But that's a whole other topic.
    Dave
    Assistant Chief
    Fairmount ND

a positive attitude may not solve all your problems,but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Forum Member

100% volunteer dept (paid district staff does handle the maintenance/hose testing however), ~30 sq miles/30k pop, ~900 calls/year. We drill every Monday night. Business meetings are on the first Tuesday of the month. In addition, members are encouraged to take outside training (NY state courses) offered at the county training facility.

I can't imagine training less than once a week. I don't mean any offense to anyone and I know every VFDs resources and needs vary but with today's fewer yet hotter/more dangerous fires training has to fill that gap. Not to mention training for all the non-fire incidents we're expected to respond to.

Thread Information