Forum Member

Default Decisions, Decisions.

Uh - How to start.. Uhh.. Not sure if this is in the right Fourm Area/Topic, Oops?

Well, I want be a FireFighter. Wow, Like y'all haven't seen/heard that before.
    But I'm unsure where to really go for my schoolin', trainin' & such & stuff.

I recently just got certified by my EMT-B Class. Now, I just need to take my NREMT. Which I'll be doin' in January 2012 most likely.

Now, back to the Fire Schoolin', Trainin' Stuff.

I've been spoken to about goin' to "Military FireFighter" by relatives who are in the military but my relatives are NOT FireFighters. They kno' few, couple mates that have been thru it & would gladly help me thru the process & stuff.

I have Fire 1 & Fire 2 School around here. Not too far from where I live.
    15 Minute Drive Back & Front even thru Rush-Hours.
    I've gotten the info from my Instructors who are Career-FireFighters themselves.
    Its quite nice, cool & stuff. Its FUN!

Just wanted to see what y'all think, suggest, see.
    I don't kno'. Somethin' that would cause be to lean towards somethin'!
    Persuasion, I suppose.

So, what do y'all have to say!?

PS:
    Is "Military FireFighter" the correct term?
    Not sure what the correct term is, do tell, please.
    Thanks, mate(s).
    Last edited by Number14; 12-11-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Forum Member

What state are you in????

How old are you????

Forum Member

Wondering how long it will take before someone.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number14 View Post
    Uh - How to start.. Uhh.. Not sure if this is in the right Fourm Area/Topic, Oops?

Well, I want be a FireFighter. Wow, Like y'all haven't seen/heard that before.
    But I'm unsure where to really go for my schoolin', trainin' & such & stuff.

I recently just got certified by my EMT-B Class. Now, I just need to take my NREMT. Which I'll be doin' in January 2012 most likely.

Now, back to the Fire Schoolin', Trainin' Stuff.

I've been spoken to about goin' to "Military FireFighter" by relatives who are in the military but my relatives are NOT FireFighters. They kno' few, couple mates that have been thru it & would gladly help me thru the process & stuff.

I have Fire 1 & Fire 2 School around here. Not too far from where I live.
    15 Minute Drive Back & Front even thru Rush-Hours.
    I've gotten the info from my Instructors who are Career-FireFighters themselves.
    Its quite nice, cool & stuff. Its FUN!

Just wanted to see what y'all think, suggest, see.
    I don't kno'. Somethin' that would cause be to lean towards somethin'!
    Persuasion, I suppose.

So, what do y'all have to say!?

PS:
    Is "Military FireFighter" the correct term?
    Not sure what the correct term is, do tell, please.
    Thanks, mate(s).

As far as being a firefighter in the military service, I think the Air Force is the only branch that has them. All others that I have seen are civilians in that position. I have known quite a lot of those guys.

The Air National Guard in most states have firefighters assigned to fighter squadrons or groups, but they are usually regular firefighters who belong to either city or county fire department and are working in the position on their regular job off duty days.

All those certifications are good, in some states and fire departments. However there are a lot that really don't care how much "wall paper' you process, as if you get hired by them, they are going to teach and certify you as to their standards, under their program. The cert's you now have may help you some and believe it or not, may hurt you and what was learned when you received those maybe not be what is being taught at the fire academies of larger fire department.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    What state are you in????

How old are you????
    Florida.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    As far as being a firefighter in the military service, I think the Air Force is the only branch that has them. All others that I have seen are civilians in that position. I have known quite a lot of those guys.

The Air National Guard in most states have firefighters assigned to fighter squadrons or groups, but they are usually regular firefighters who belong to either city or county fire department and are working in the position on their regular job off duty days.

All those certifications are good, in some states and fire departments. However there are a lot that really don't care how much "wall paper' you process, as if you get hired by them, they are going to teach and certify you as to their standards, under their program. The cert's you now have may help you some and believe it or not, may hurt you and what was learned when you received those maybe not be what is being taught at the fire academies of larger fire department.
    Uhh... Huh. 'Kay.

Air Force is the main branch, I'm most likely goin' to.
    Hmm, National, interestin'. I shall look into that, later

"Wall Paper"? O.o
    Yes, I'm aware that departments differ in rules, trainin' & stuff.
    I'll be prepared for when that time occurs.

Just wonderin'.
    Have you met mates from the Military FireFightin' ?
    Or if you are one?o.o

Forum Member

Air force active duty firefighter will not get you to far, except a civilian Federal firefighter on a military base, or where ever the us is at war possibly contract firefighter overseas

If you look at the hiring posts, you will see Florida has a surplus of firefighters trying to get hired

As in you might want to look outside fl

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll ask.
    What is the deal with all the apostrophes???
    Just wondering.

Join the military because you want to serve.
    In turn, it will serve you.
    Not to serve yourself.

tcd
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I'll ask.
    Just wondering.
    Same here. Why not just hit the "g" key? It's easier to reach on the keyboard, easier for others to read, and makes what's being stated or asked sound like serious questions.

Double that for the missing "w".

Not busting balls, but just sayin'

Forum Member

I agree with the previous poster who recommends joining the military because you want to serve. If you choose to join, learn a trade. Firefighting will help you as will many other trades such as corpsman or diesel mechanic.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Air force active duty firefighter will not get you to far, except a civilian Federal firefighter on a military base, or where ever the us is at war possibly contract firefighter overseas

If you look at the hiring posts, you will see Florida has a surplus of firefighters trying to get hired

As in you might want to look outside fl
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Far?"

I'm honestly just wantin' to be FireFighter.
    So be it Volunteer, Career, or/& Call.
    I'm still gettin' experience & keepin' up to date on what to kno' &/or learn.
    For when I do go to apply & compete against others. I'll least kno' stuff & be more confident with myself.

Yeah, I kno'. Lots & lots of FireFighters here & some of'em go north, I think just be volunteer 'til a position opens out. Somethin' along the line of that..

Forum Member

I'll ask.
    Just wondering.

Join the military because you want to serve.
    In turn, it will serve you.
    Not to serve yourself.
    Uh..
    Its how I type. I've been so used to it.

I'm confused. I'm not sure what the "Serve" may be to you or/& how you used it.
    But..
    FireFighters do serve.
    Only thing I want to serve myself is knowin' what to do next, findin' info for step 1, 2, & so on. & Have Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tcd View Post
    Same here. Why not just hit the "g" key? It's easier to reach on the keyboard, easier for others to read, and makes what's being stated or asked sound like serious questions.

Double that for the missing "w".

Not busting balls, but just sayin'
    Uh, I kinda forget that its there. I'm so used to it is why.
    I write like this as well..
    Heh, lol..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    I agree with the previous poster who recommends joining the military because you want to serve. If you choose to join, learn a trade. Firefighting will help you as will many other trades such as corpsman or diesel mechanic.
    I do want to serve.
    As FireFighter there is.
    Being FireFighter in Military or being somethin' else that helps, prepares, & ends with me with the Title, "FireFighter."

Diesel Mechanic & Corpsman. I'll look into that!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddermonkey76 View Post
    Wondering how long it will take before someone.......
    ...busts him on his lack spelling/composition skills. It took longer than I expected.

Number, if you're going to talk to professionals about getting into a profession and being a professional yourself: Write like you are professional. It's just a good habit to get into.

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh..

But..
    FireFighters do serve.
    Only thing I want to serve myself is knowin' what to do next, findin' info for step 1, 2, & so on. & Have Fun.

Heh, lol..
    You're young. One day you'll understand.

Forum Member

Uhh... Huh. 'Kay.

Air Force is the main branch, I'm most likely goin' to.
    Hmm, National, interestin'. I shall look into that, later

"Wall Paper"? O.o
    Yes, I'm aware that departments differ in rules, trainin' & stuff.
    I'll be prepared for when that time occurs.

Just wonderin'.
    Have you met mates from the Military FireFightin' ? MATES?? The US Navy and Coast Guard have Mates! Why yes I have and have been one myself.

Or if you are one?o.o

Come back when you get an education grow up and we will explain it to you.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 11:34 PM.

tcd
    Forum Member

Uh..

But..
    FireFighters do serve.

Heh, lol..
    My advice is to immediately dump the habit of using apostrophes all over the place and start writing correctly. You've been called out on it multiple times in this thread and you're still doing it. There's a reason for the criticism.

Will you "forget it's there" when writing reports, essays, etc? Even though this is the WWW, and spelling and grammar are all too often given low priority, that doesn't mean it's okay to perpetuate it, especially when seeking advice on such an important subject. Proper grammar and punctuation indicate attention to detail, seriousness of thought, intelligence, and maturity, all of which would be considered positive traits in someone seeking to pursue a career in the fire service, or any occupation for that matter.

That's not to say mistakes can't be made and everyone should have perfect spelling or grammar. Errors will occur, and that's okay if the intent was to write correctly, and the individual is willing to learn from them, but it's the knowing commission of such errors and fallback on excuses of "it's just the internet" or "that's just how I write" that essentially undermines the individual doing the writing and distracts from what they're trying to say.

That's my .02.

Forum Member

Uh..
    Heh, lol..
    I'll throw one in too.

Get un-used to it. It looks stupid. It makes you look stupid. Like it was said before, the fact you keep doing it and acting like it's no big deal makes you look even stupider. If you disregard such detail on a forum, what kind of details will you disregard checking out your EMS bag? Or going over the fire truck?

Maybe the military would be good for you. They'll slap some maturity into you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    I'll throw one in too.

Get un-used to it. It looks stupid. It makes you look stupid. Like it was said before, the fact you keep doing it and acting like it's no big deal makes you look even stupider. If you disregard such detail on a forum, what kind of details will you disregard checking out your EMS bag? Or going over the fire truck?

Since we are on the topic of correct grammar, it's "more stupid" stupid.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Come back when you get an education grow up and we will explain it to you.
    Yes, "mates."
    Such as friend, amigo, ami.

Relax.
    I'll type proper English to the best of my ability now.
    So, please.
    May you resume?

Quote Originally Posted by arharris83 View Post
    Just to clear up the whole Military Firefighter thing first. Yes ALL Branches of the military has MILITARY FIREFIGHTERS. I know this because I happen to be one in the Army Reserve and have been for the past 6 years. All Military firefighters (Airforce, Army, Army Reserve/National Guard, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard) all go to the same School in San Angelo Texas (Goodfellow Air Force Base). Going the Air Force route will get you the Airport Side of firefighting (god I hate those potato Suits).

Join the Military because you want to serve your country and get a trade while doing so, don't join because you want to get a job outside the military (wrong purpose). I know of several people that have gotten hired on City Fire Departments because of their Military Experience and Training (Specifically Firefighting). If you go the military route you will get Firefighter 1-2, Hazmat Awareness/Operations, Aircraft Rescue Fire Figthing (ARFF) National Certifications. You will also get first responder (medical) but there isn't much you can do with this so it's kind of a waste of time. The school is 4 months long so it goes by pretty fast.

I have something on my background (DUI almost 4 years ago) that is making it difficult for me but I went a step further and went through Paramedic school so hopefully that will help me out sooner than later. Plus a lot of departments if you make it through the process will give you 5 extra overall points. Good Luck and I do recommend the Military route but then again I am biased! haha
    Thanks.

Sigh.
    I'm not joining the Military just to get in & out for FireFighter.
    I'm joining help my process as a FireFighter. If the Military asks me be FireFighter for them. Of course, I'm going go for it.

Wow, 4 months in Texas. Interesting.
    Paramedic school can wait for me.. For the moment.
    You're young. One day you'll understand.
    Doesn't mean I can't be taught while still be young.
    Last edited by Number14; 12-15-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    I'll throw one in too.

If that is how you set your view(s). Okay.
    I have my stuff prepared beforehand & thanks for aiding.

Maybe? No...It shall.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcd View Post
    My advice is to immediately dump the habit of using apostrophes all over the place and start writing correctly. You've been called out on it multiple times in this thread and you're still doing it. There's a reason for the criticism.

Will you "forget it's there" when writing reports, essays, etc? Even though this is the WWW, and spelling and grammar are all too often given low priority, that doesn't mean it's okay to perpetuate it, especially when seeking advice on such an important subject. Proper grammar and punctuation indicate attention to detail, seriousness of thought, intelligence, and maturity, all of which would be considered positive traits in someone seeking to pursue a career in the fire service, or any occupation for that matter.

That's not to say mistakes can't be made and everyone should have perfect spelling or grammar. Errors will occur, and that's okay if the intent was to write correctly, and the individual is willing to learn from them, but it's the knowing commission of such errors and fallback on excuses of "it's just the internet" or "that's just how I write" that essentially undermines the individual doing the writing and distracts from what they're trying to say.

That's my .02.
    No one asked me to stop.
    Now, that I've made my return & see it all.
    I shall.

Quote Originally Posted by laddermonkey76 View Post
    ...busts him on his lack spelling/composition skills. It took longer than I expected.

Number, if you're going to talk to professionals about getting into a profession and being a professional yourself: Write like you are professional. It's just a good habit to get into.
    Yes, sir/ma'am.

Forum Member

I suggest you take an english class before you do anything. You're sounding more and more stupid every post you make lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are now officially a troll.
    Good luck.

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-17-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Thread Information