Forum Member

Default EMS Compartments over wheels

After seeing FireMech's new rig, how are the EMS compartments placed over the front wheels working out? Are they too high to reach the equipment easily? Does the equipment fit? We are concerned that a 5'4" FF may drop a LP12 on their head-or worse, on the ground where it would break.

We currently have a compartment along the back wall in the cab, but our bags don't fit in it and end up on the floor between the seats. We would prefer to have them accessible from the outside, but in the cab for climate control. We carry four items on every call-large bag, LP12, O2 bag, and drug box. We run with 3 members, so we usually keep the bag and O2 on one side for the jumpseat FF to carry, and the LP and drug box on the other for the driver.

We are speccing rigs and trying to keep the cost down. The OTW method is less expensive than our preferred option-an extended cab with a full height compartment behind the crew doors. We also hate to lengthen the rig.

Pics attached for reference-FireMech's ladder with over the wheel cabinet, and a rescue with the extended cab compartment (bit higher than we want, but you get the idea).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

I'll try to get pictures up here later, but we went with the extended cab and a full size cabinet on the officer side. The driver side has a half height door. 4 shelves on the officer side with internal access at the top. Bottom has O2 and water can. Driver side has water can and SCBA for driver when needed. In the void under the bench seat we have 4 NY Hooks, 2 accessible from each side. Guys can get off each side and have a hook and can. Our very basic EMS stuff (we don't run EMS) is on the 2nd shelf.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I know the majority of the guys in Philly assigned to one of the 8 KME pumpers delivered 2 years ago with these compts do not like them at all- limits space in the rear to the point where apparently it is very cramped. I have heard rumors they will not order these compts anymore.

It could just be a KME thing but I dont know.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I know you are concerned about increasing the length of the WB and the overall length but I thougt I would share what we did. We went with a Spartan Gladiator gab which I believe is called the ELFD. It is about 70" from the back wall of the cab to the front axle. There is a roll up door on each side. The bottom shelf you see in the picture is a slide out. There is one for each side that are each roughly half the width of the compartment. The other shelves are adjustable..

Forum Member

Hey Gunny, I'll post up a few pics tomorrow of the truck and the interior layout. As for the side EMS compartment, they are also accessible from the inside. Height wise, I don't think it is an issue.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

NFD, thanks for the pics. That is almost exactly what we have in mind. If its not too much to ask, can you give a width measurement for the opening? The ELFD is what we were looking at, but I think the cost is going to be an issue.
    Last edited by gunnyv; 12-13-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: more...

Forum Member

The door opening is 15 1/2" wide The rollout tray is 13" wide. When the chassis was shipped from Spartan the interior of the cabinet was not completed. Baiscally it had the roll up doors on it and the inside was just one big open cabinet. The shelves, trays, 110V outlets etc were installed by Crimson Fire. There is plenty of space for more than just EMS gear. You may want to consider a pull out vertical tool board on one side for pike poles, pump can etc. Lots of options when you go with the ELFD cab. And the roll up doors lock so you can secure the entire cab if needed. If you need more pictures let me know.

Forum Member

Why not put the EMS stuff in the right front compartment as this photos show?

It is accessible to all members. This also allows the seating arrangement to be standard and not cramped.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

NFDE6....how many seats in that vehicle?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

It is accessible to all members. This also allows the seating arrangement to be standard and not cramped.
    I know in our case we have to worry about high priced monitors, fluids and out of box drugs being exposed to the cold if the apparatus will be pumping or sitting for any amount of time. For that reason, the EMS gear gets heated cab space. Others may not have these circumstances...

Forum Member

We have a Spartan Gladiator with a 5 man cab. The jump seat behind the captain's seat is a hinged door compartment. See pic.

http://www.godfreyfire.com/v2/index....=139&Itemid=27

If you are looking at saving money consider getting the hinged door instead of the roll up door option. It saves space in the compartment taken up when using a roll up and the door does not stick out far at all. Very unlikely of ripping it off since the way it opens, it shows up in the mirror. Big savings over a roll up!

On a Spartan, this compartment is too small to be an EMS compartment. We are a just a BLS service and we could never imagine cramming all of our equipment in there. All three of our pumpers EMS compartments are on the driver's side compartment above the rear wheel.

We did find that the compartment is the perfect height and size to fit our water jug. We also have traffic vests, wands, lights and room for more crap in the future. If you are going to have a 10" raised roof you can add a tray above it. Toyne did a diamondplate box above the compartment and we have a pelican case with all of our meters in it.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/atta...4&d=1262123896
    Last edited by GFPD2005; 12-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I know in our case we have to worry about high priced monitors, fluids and out of box drugs being exposed to the cold if the apparatus will be pumping or sitting for any amount of time. For that reason, the EMS gear gets heated cab space. Others may not have these circumstances...
    We have that same issue....we keep the fluids, monitor, and drugs in the cab, and the rest of the more commonly used equipment is in the first compartment on the officer's side. Even with the ladder-style steps on our Quantum cabs, the guys hated getting in an out of the cab with the jump bag, oxygen caddy and the rest of the equipment, so outside it went.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    We have that same issue....we keep the fluids, monitor, and drugs in the cab, and the rest of the more commonly used equipment is in the first compartment on the officer's side. Even with the ladder-style steps on our Quantum cabs, the guys hated getting in an out of the cab with the jump bag, oxygen caddy and the rest of the equipment, so outside it went.
    Our situation is the same, monitors stay in the cab so they can be charged, drugs in a lock box on the engine hump. The rest of the med gear is stored on both sides of the truck above the rear wheels. Question for those storing drugs in the outside compartments, how are you securing them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

As stated by others, with the cardiac monitors, drug boxes, fluids, and ALS gear, we need the equipment in a climate and access controlled area. With a normal crew of three, and the politicians threatening to drop to two, we aren't too worried about space in the cab.

Thanks for the responses.
    Last edited by gunnyv; 12-14-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: more...

Forum Member

We have 2 rear facing jump seat. They are directly behind the officer and driver seat. Our max crew is 4 so that is not an issue.

Forum Member

Our Trucks don't run ALS, just BLS, so no worries on IV bags or narcs. Monitors are inside, so no issue there. When they get the rig stocked up, I'll take a couple pics. As it is, we had the interior stripped for additions, but here is what it looks like from just outside the cab. Whatever they need to grab, can be done from inside the cab, or outside.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Umm... Why not look at 12v heaters like what you would find in an RV and mount one in the exterior compartment that holds your EMS gear. Most have an automatic thermostat and could run off of the rig's compartment lighting system.

Just an idea

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinMedic View Post
    Umm... Why not look at 12v heaters like what you would find in an RV and mount one in the exterior compartment that holds your EMS gear. Most have an automatic thermostat and could run off of the rig's compartment lighting system.
    Bro, they take 6 months to fix climate control in the cab, I can't imagine a compartment will get the priority it needs. Also, it would have to be heat and A/C. We range from over 100 in the summer to below zero during the year.

Thanks for offering an outside the box idea though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Our Trucks don't run ALS, just BLS, so no worries on IV bags or narcs. Monitors are inside, so no issue there. When they get the rig stocked up, I'll take a couple pics. As it is, we had the interior stripped for additions, but here is what it looks like from just outside the cab. Whatever they need to grab, can be done from inside the cab, or outside.

FM1
    We have similar cabinets on our Engines, but without any exterior access. You lose a seat, but the gear is warm and dry and inside the cab.

Forum Member

Gunny, try this for outside the box. I came across this rig.

http://www.baldwinems.com/Fleet/Fleet/R510-2.JPG

Its a Spartan/4guys. They deleted the rear door in favor of another ems compartment. It is accessible in and out of the cab and can be climate controlled. If your staffing is at 3 then there is still plenty of room in the back for seating in addition to this compartment.

I tried to swing something like this on our engine but discovered it too late in the process. If someone says it cannot be done, you have photo proof it can!

Forum Member

Besides climate control I would imagine that he also would want the gear in the cab so that those expensive monitors and meds stay in their control instead of winding up in the hands of a theiving little druggie, at least that's my understanding of why most departments are moving towards keeping medical gear in the cabs now days, med control and protection of high priced electronics.

Forum Member

We've done the compartment over the wheels for a while but just recently started using it for EMS supplies. Currently holds the jump bag, O2 and AED. You can't reach anything up high anyway so we cut them down in the latest rig. We also added an extra compartment between those two compartments. This is in a Spartan LFD cab.

Forum Member

Will see if this works this time...

first one is compartment on driver side. SCBA and can, 4 hooks at top of compartment going under bench seat
    Name:  DSCN0165.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  23.8 KB

next is compartment on officer side. Can and O2 unit...hooks at top.
    Name:  DSCN0157.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  27.3 KB

shot 3 is officer side, full compartment. has EMS stuff, meters, scba masks, tarps.
    Name:  DSCN0160.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  49.0 KB

last shot is from crew cab...compartment in corner. We only got small access door as that's what we needed.
    Name:  DSCN0163.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  20.5 KB

Thread Information