Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Yep, I'm crazy! I just bought a firetruck!!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Yep, I'm crazy! I just bought a firetruck!!

I am now the proud owner of the former Wyocena Bureau of Fire's 1974 Mack CF Engine. This rig originally belonged to Forest Park, Illionois and served a proud second life in Wyocena.

I intend to have it out on the parade circuit this next summer, and if you are in my area don't be surprised if you see me out driving around on a weekend or taking it to the grocery store!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FireInTheShire likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Nice looking rig. Love the Macks and the Black over red.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Welcome to the club!! I have a 1972/1993 Mack CF and a 1987 Pierce Arrow Squrt. And yes, I drive mine to run errands in as well. ;-)
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Very cool!

Forum Member

Nice!! Does the pump operate?
    Bring enough hose.

Back In Black

Gorgeous!

Love the Macks...

We still have a 1980 Mack CF Aerial in service... probably for another year or so.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Beautiful rig. This was my dads for about 7 years, nothing cooler then having a firetruck in front of your house when you where a kid.

-codave

Forum Member

Welcome to the club!!!!!!!!

Give us the specs on your toy- I am guessing a 237/5-speed, 1000gpm waterous/500 tank???

And hopefully you have a place INDOORS to store it!!! Doesnt have to be climate-controlled, just dry and out of the weather!!!

She looks good!!!

Owner- 1958 F.W.D. Model F750 750/500 SNF80438
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

The pump is operational. It supposedly did not meet vacuum test in pump test last year. But...I was running a guy through the Certified Driver Operator Course and we had no problem pulling and maintaining prime flowing up to 1000 gpm through a deck gun.

I am excited and happy to have this engine. My Dad was a member of the Winfield Fire Department in Illinois and at one point all they had were Macks, one C Model and the rest were CF's. Heck when I was a kid I thought Mack and Fire Engine meant the same thing. After having worked on one, I now know I was right!

The best part about buying this Mack engine is that I talked to my wife about it and told her I wanted it and she was almost as excited as me about getting it. She was so happy that we got it that we went out and celebrated after they opened the bids! Boys, this woman is definitely a keeper.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Let me know if you have any insurance questions- if you do it right, good coverage is dirt cheap. Dont go with your normal provider for insurance unless if they specifically have provisions for collector/antique vehicles...a very good company is JC Taylor in Upper Darby, Pa. See their website. Great coverage, and new this year is a towing/breakdown/run out of gas/bad batteries rider.....you can get towed on a flatbed up to 50 miles for an additional $12.95 a year. I pay a total of about $110.00 a year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats bro!!

I am so jealous!! I want to buy a truck myself very badly but can't afford one right now, plus I got no place to park it. Every time my wife hears that I want to buy a truck she says "yeah right" and rolls her eyes.

I think my garage is big enough for me to live in!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I am now the proud owner of the former Wyocena Bureau of Fire's 1974 Mack CF Engine. This rig originally belonged to Forest Park, Illionois and served a proud second life in Wyocena.

I intend to have it out on the parade circuit this next summer, and if you are in my area don't be surprised if you see me out driving around on a weekend or taking it to the grocery store!
    Yep your nuts, but it is a really good kind. I've got a bunch of old Macks, think very highly of them. Also this may make you feel a little more sane, I put a bid in on a Pierce Snorkel, still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it if I get it.

Forum Member

Okay, here are the specs.

It is a straight 6 diesel engine, sorry don't know the size or horsepower. It is an Allison automatic. The pump is a 1250 gpm Waterous and the water tank is a 500 gpm. There are 2-2 1/2 discharges to the tailboard and 2-1 1/2 inch discharges in the rear hosebed. Originally it had a booster reel up on top and to the best of my knowledge it is gone. I do need to ask the chief if it is out at the waste water treatment plant in the junk pile. The deck gun riser was added after we got the engine and it is valved on the riser pipe not at the panel.

It doesn't have any top lights because they took off the cheesy thin LED light bar, which was fine with me because I would have taken it off and sold it to buy 2 gumball lights for the top. It does have both an electonic siren and a Federal Q! It had a bell at one time and if I can find a reasonably priced one it will again.

I do NOT intend on changing the appearance at all. I will be getting magnetic signs made for both sides saying it is privately owned by my wife and I.

I have a pole barn that I have been cleaning out and making space for this engine. So it will be inside. There is no heat so do you have any advice on how to winterize it?
    Last edited by FyredUp; 12-15-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

There are probably very few among us who don't (or haven't, as some time or another) wish we could buy a fire truck (or trucks), myself included.

A garage tricked out to resemble a firehouse would be a nice touch...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Way to go.

Forum Member

With that silly paint job shouldnt you be out delivering cold cuts?

That joke went so much further when ChicagoFF was still here.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

A WISE yank-me probably shouldn't say that in Chi-town,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Beautiful engine brother. YOu just fulfilled every little boy's, ok, every firefighter's dream, haha. I just hope I'm in a position to put in a bid for Dalton's last remaining 70's model ALF Century pumper, reserve Eng. 11. Congrats man.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    With that silly paint job shouldnt you be out delivering cold cuts?

That joke went so much further when ChicagoFF was still here.
    I get it!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I have a pole barn that I have been cleaning out and making space for this engine. So it will be inside. There is no heat so do you have any advice on how to winterize it?
    It's probably a 237 or a 300 Maxidyne.

Winterizing: Obviously the pump is critical. Take the caps off of all the discharges, pony inlets and steamers. Open all valves and drain valves, and walk away for a few days. While waiting, get yourself an extra cap for one of the discharges. Drill out a hole and tap it with threads to accept a male air chuck. Close up all your valves and drains, except for one of the discharges, and put the cap onto that discharge. Put a few psi's into the pump, and open all the valves and drains one by one. This will eject any remaining water that is still lingering. If you are real serious, you can also climb inside the panel, open up one of the pipe nipples on top of the main pump housing and pour in a gallon of antifreeze, but if you do a good enough job with the air you should be ok.

Drivetrain: I try never to store my rig with a lot of fuel in it, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a tank, it's just fuel that could potentially go bad, although I am on gasoline with ethanol in it (which I treat with sta-bil) but you still dont want a lot. I recommend to my buddies with diesel engines to get a bottle of any good quality diesel fuel treatment/anti-gel and follow the directions carefully. If its going to sit around for a while in a non-heated garage it can and will gel. If your batteries are maintenance-required batteries, make sure they have the proper amount of fluid- if you have to add water only use deionized water (can be found in the grocery store in the laundry detergent section) good quality batteries that are taken care of will last you a while.

Make sure you check the temp rating of your coolant/anti-freeze. Remember that has never been a concern- until now. She has always been stored indoors in a heated firehouse. Get a coolant hydrometer at the local NAPA store, run it up to operating temperature, take the radiator cap off (taking the obvious precautions) and follow the directions for the hydrometer. Add new 100% coolant as necessary, run it around the block a few times to mix it up, and then re-take the reading. I would imagine in Milwaukee you will need quite a bit of protection whereas I am fine with up to zero F. (rarely drops below zero here.)

Try to start it up and run it up to operating temperature at least once a month. I try to drive mine around at least once every other month as long as there is no salt on the roads.

Send me the serial number, and I will call over to a friend at the Mack museum/archives and see whats in the file. If it's worthwhile I'll take a ride over one day (about 10 mins from the house) and copy the file for you.

Join up at the forums at www.bigmacktrucks.com it is a great source of info for all things Mack. A great group of guys, too. There is a forum just for Mack firetrucks.

Thats all I can think of right now off the top of my head, if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Okay, here are the specs.It is a straight 6 diesel engine, sorry don't know the size or horsepower.
    What series Mack is it? CF-685, CF-686, etc? That helps give us information on the motor and transmission.

Wish I had more money for more Macks!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

And a few other "tips" on winterizing - sometimes the sump may still hold some water , double check that and if it looks like you cant get it out, add some RV type antifreeze. Also the relief valve piston can trap water and pull one gauge copper line loose and make sure when you blew it out it got all the water out of the "low spots" in the loop. A good drive after you have blown it out seems to chase some of the trapped water out also.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    A good drive after you have blown it out seems to chase some of the trapped water out also.
    Yes, this....And I also forgot to mention that when you do park it for the winter, leave all the valves and drains all the way open.

Forum Member

Congradulations. I can only dream.

Forum Member

Okay brought it home today and it is sitting in my driveway draining, idling merrily away. Nothing roars like a Mack Diesel engine.

It is a CF685.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FyredUp; 12-14-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information