Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: San Diego City

Forum Member

"...after graduation you are considered a Firefighter 1 pay is $3,263.87x 12= 39,166.44 a year ."

Forum Member

I have to agree with persevere on this one. Speaking personally, I'd be taking over a 50% paycut if I were offered a job with San Diego. However, I wouldn't even have to think twice about accepting. But since everyone is throwing figures around, the "$_____ x 12 months" number is going to be inaccurate, simply because there are usually 2 months where you are paid 3 times. Also someone mentioned that benefits//incentives//EMT pay, etc... and I would have to assume that the number listed on the HR website is base salary only. Again, just my 2 cents. Good luck to all who applied, and if anyone has any solid info on number they would like to hire//test dates//how many apps etc, that would be great!!

Stay safe.

Salary: $2,572.27 Monthly X 12 = 30,867.24

Quote Originally Posted by EB1980 View Post
    That's the pay rate during the academy, after graduation you are considered a Firefighter 1 pay is $3,263.87x 12= 39,166.44 a year still not amazing considering the cost of living here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    "...after graduation you are considered a Firefighter 1 pay is $3,263.87x 12= 39,166.44 a year ."
    Here it tis....
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I think everyone's situation is different, that's why there might have been some disagreement over the salary. The salary isn't too bad for a person without any family responsibilities and financial obligations. Perfect for that single guy or gal.

Like what thenextebell2 said, considering the position I'm currently in... I wouldn't even have to think twice about accepting it.
    Last edited by Polymer; 12-18-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EgressOne View Post
    Just to clarify once again, the 40K is the pay while attending the 14 weeks of academy. After that their is an increase and supplemental pay, from what I understand of the website.
    Quote Originally Posted by persevere View Post
    I can't believe all of the posts about the salary. Isn't that missing the whole point of being a firefigher? I would happily live with roommates my whole life if it meant achieving my dream of being a firefighter! ....just saying

If you have a family and financial obligations, salary is something that definitely needs to be looked at.
    While being a firefighter is an incredible job, providing for your family needs to be a priority.
    But if offered the job and you can swing it, SD is a killer place to be.

Forum Member

Even a single person cost a little to live there

Factor in traffic

Factor in the amount of people there

Factor in SD politics

Forum Member
    Last edited by fire49; 12-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

...beats my "salary" as a volunteer firefighter. If you're in it to get rich, you're in it for the wrong reason.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    ...If you're in it to get rich, you're in it for the wrong reason.
    Amen, brotha!!!

Forum Member

As long as you can have shelter and eat, on the pay you make, yes go for it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    As long as you can have shelter and eat, on the pay you make, yes go for it
    That's exactly it.

Forum Member

Beside all of this salary talk because lets face it, it is what it is....are there any guys on here that work for SDFD or may have insight on bodies they're looking to hire? How many are they anticipating to come take the test?

Forum Member

25 per a post on californiafireighter.com sounds about right though, think thats how many they took last class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Does anyone know how many applied?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Does anyone know how many applied?
    I'm also curious, though I can only imagine that the number was in the thousands. Great town, great department (although from reading the previous posts, maybe not great fiscal situation!!!) but nonetheless. Looking forward to the opportunity to test and see where it all goes.

Forum Member

Although I definitely like the posts about the drive to want to work as a FF no matter what the pay is like, I also understand people being concerned with the pay scale. Anyone with a family or plans of having one has to do the responsible thing and consider their financial situation.

Forum Member

Default Sdfd

San Diego is a great city, and the FD has a ton of opportunity and great experience. Their problem is the pay....you can drive 45 minutes North and work for another agency in OC or LA and make twice as much money for the same job, it really makes it difficult for SDFD to maintain its employees in that climate.

And I am not kidding about twice as much pay. The average salary for a rookie firefighter/paramedic here in OC, is about what a Captain makes in SDFD. And OC has same cost of living as SD.

It is a disgrace, and SD needs to start paying their people what they are truly worth. SDFD firefighters keep that place running, and if all their quality employees decided to bail out for bigger paychecks, that department would be in the hurt box.

When you don't have a FF job, then obviously any pay is better than no pay. However, to get a nice mix of lateral applicants is difficult when the City keeps the pay so low and constantly takes and takes from the public safety employees...

ATL
    Forum Member

Really good post OCFirePm. Very clear and consise message. There comes a time when we as public safety employees have to stand up and let them know they have to pay us for an honest days work. That's all we want. What's the point if you can't even live? It's one thing to not be the highest paying dept. but to be the lowest? Disgrace. Powers that be in SD obviously don't give a hell about the public service. I live in Atlanta and the pay there is about what they start out here. Average rent here is 600-900 for a 2 bd rm apt. Well I signed up for it but upon closer thought I'm gonna pass. I hope everyone on here does what's best for their family. Love, peace, and hair greese.....

Forum Member

Based on previous hiring processes, does anyone know we may hear something about a test date?

Forum Member

Everyone check your governmentjobs.com profile. Click the "Application Status" tab. Under the "Status" tab, you'll see "Application Received". Click that and on the screen you'll see a table titled "Evaluation Step".

Under Application Reviewed, it will tell you either "Pass" or "Fail". I know some guys who got "Pass" and some who got "Fail".

Good Luck to everyone.

Thread Information