Thread: San Diego City

Forum Member

Even a single person cost a little to live there

Factor in traffic

Factor in the amount of people there

Factor in SD politics

Forum Member

Last edited by fire49; 12-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

...beats my "salary" as a volunteer firefighter. If you're in it to get rich, you're in it for the wrong reason.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    ...If you're in it to get rich, you're in it for the wrong reason.
    Amen, brotha!!!

Forum Member

As long as you can have shelter and eat, on the pay you make, yes go for it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    As long as you can have shelter and eat, on the pay you make, yes go for it
    That's exactly it.

Forum Member

Beside all of this salary talk because lets face it, it is what it is....are there any guys on here that work for SDFD or may have insight on bodies they're looking to hire? How many are they anticipating to come take the test?

Forum Member

25 per a post on californiafireighter.com sounds about right though, think thats how many they took last class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Does anyone know how many applied?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Does anyone know how many applied?
    I'm also curious, though I can only imagine that the number was in the thousands. Great town, great department (although from reading the previous posts, maybe not great fiscal situation!!!) but nonetheless. Looking forward to the opportunity to test and see where it all goes.

Forum Member

Although I definitely like the posts about the drive to want to work as a FF no matter what the pay is like, I also understand people being concerned with the pay scale. Anyone with a family or plans of having one has to do the responsible thing and consider their financial situation.

Forum Member

Default Sdfd

San Diego is a great city, and the FD has a ton of opportunity and great experience. Their problem is the pay....you can drive 45 minutes North and work for another agency in OC or LA and make twice as much money for the same job, it really makes it difficult for SDFD to maintain its employees in that climate.

And I am not kidding about twice as much pay. The average salary for a rookie firefighter/paramedic here in OC, is about what a Captain makes in SDFD. And OC has same cost of living as SD.

It is a disgrace, and SD needs to start paying their people what they are truly worth. SDFD firefighters keep that place running, and if all their quality employees decided to bail out for bigger paychecks, that department would be in the hurt box.

When you don't have a FF job, then obviously any pay is better than no pay. However, to get a nice mix of lateral applicants is difficult when the City keeps the pay so low and constantly takes and takes from the public safety employees...

ATL
    Forum Member

Really good post OCFirePm. Very clear and consise message. There comes a time when we as public safety employees have to stand up and let them know they have to pay us for an honest days work. That's all we want. What's the point if you can't even live? It's one thing to not be the highest paying dept. but to be the lowest? Disgrace. Powers that be in SD obviously don't give a hell about the public service. I live in Atlanta and the pay there is about what they start out here. Average rent here is 600-900 for a 2 bd rm apt. Well I signed up for it but upon closer thought I'm gonna pass. I hope everyone on here does what's best for their family. Love, peace, and hair greese.....

Forum Member

Based on previous hiring processes, does anyone know we may hear something about a test date?

Forum Member

Everyone check your governmentjobs.com profile. Click the "Application Status" tab. Under the "Status" tab, you'll see "Application Received". Click that and on the screen you'll see a table titled "Evaluation Step".

Under Application Reviewed, it will tell you either "Pass" or "Fail". I know some guys who got "Pass" and some who got "Fail".

Good Luck to everyone.

Forum Member

Received a pass, on to the next step!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerDanger14 View Post
    Received a pass, on to the next step!
    Same here.

Any idea what the next step could be?

Forum Member

I would venture to say the written exam based on what I have read, wouldn't swear on it though.

Forum Member

I have coached dozens of promotional SDFD candidates. Here is what I have learned; As a group they are incredibly competent, tight knit and a really good group. I really have a great deal of respect for them as a group.

SDFD is the real deal. The level of intense training, call volume and quality of calls is something that you will only see in a few places.

The pay is definitely low. As someone pointed out above, the pay in most of San Diego is well below that of Orange County.

I believe the next step is the written test.
    Last edited by paulLepore; 01-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Does anyone know when the study packets will be available?

Forum Member

I would assume something will come by mail or electronically when the next step gets going.

Forum Member

Couple questions...

First off, thanks for taking the time to read this. I've got a few questions about San Diego City.

I see that they only require NR EMT Basic but that they're looking for NR Paramedics, its "Highly Desirable". Does anyone have any insight as to what they're actually going to hire? Is it even worth it to test if you're not a medic?

Same regarding the California Fire Fighter I/II certs. Anyone have any idea if its worth testing without these? (I have IFSAC FF II but I see that CA does not offer reciprocity).

San Diego seems like it would be a great place to live and work, and I'm excited to be in the process, but times are tight and I just want to make sure its worth making the trip from the East Coast.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

Forum Member

Go for it. If you are invited to the written, then you qualify in some way. And just because someone is a medic, doesn't mean they will pass the written or other parts of the process. I'm from out of state also. If you can picture yourself living there, then I'd take the chance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere View Post
    Couple questions...

First off, thanks for taking the time to read this. I've got a few questions about San Diego City.

I see that they only require NR EMT Basic but that they're looking for NR Paramedics, its "Highly Desirable". Does anyone have any insight as to what they're actually going to hire? Is it even worth it to test if you're not a medic?

Same regarding the California Fire Fighter I/II certs. Anyone have any idea if its worth testing without these? (I have IFSAC FF II but I see that CA does not offer reciprocity).

San Diego seems like it would be a great place to live and work, and I'm excited to be in the process, but times are tight and I just want to make sure its worth making the trip from the East Coast.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.
    CA does not offer reciprocity, yet. Could offer it from what I've been told from the Local College. Honestly, from what I know it's a matter of subjects taught, hours taught, testing and the all mighty buck. The Guys I know from SDFD are like Chief Lepore said are dialed. As far as if you should still test or not, my theory is "I make them tell me 'no'". Worse case scenario is you are not successful and you find out where you are weaker and can work on it. As far as CSFM FF 1/2, they are both able to be achieved by OTJT.

Of the Guys I know, none of them live in the City but because of the freeway system we have here driving is not too terrible.

I hope this helps ya out.....
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 01-08-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added living
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

looks like I'll be taking the test after all, I recert my EMT tomorrow and have till Friday to turn in a copy, giddy up

Thread Information