Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 111

Thread: San Diego City

  1. #41
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Received a pass, on to the next step!


  2. #42
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StrangerDanger14 View Post
    Received a pass, on to the next step!
    Same here.

    Any idea what the next step could be?

  3. #43
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I would venture to say the written exam based on what I have read, wouldn't swear on it though.

  4. #44
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    447

    Default

    I have coached dozens of promotional SDFD candidates. Here is what I have learned; As a group they are incredibly competent, tight knit and a really good group. I really have a great deal of respect for them as a group.

    SDFD is the real deal. The level of intense training, call volume and quality of calls is something that you will only see in a few places.

    The pay is definitely low. As someone pointed out above, the pay in most of San Diego is well below that of Orange County.

    I believe the next step is the written test.
    Last edited by paulLepore; 01-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

  5. #45
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    23

    Question

    Does anyone know when the study packets will be available?

  6. #46
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I would assume something will come by mail or electronically when the next step gets going.

  7. #47
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Couple questions...

    First off, thanks for taking the time to read this. I've got a few questions about San Diego City.

    I see that they only require NR EMT Basic but that they're looking for NR Paramedics, its "Highly Desirable". Does anyone have any insight as to what they're actually going to hire? Is it even worth it to test if you're not a medic?

    Same regarding the California Fire Fighter I/II certs. Anyone have any idea if its worth testing without these? (I have IFSAC FF II but I see that CA does not offer reciprocity).

    San Diego seems like it would be a great place to live and work, and I'm excited to be in the process, but times are tight and I just want to make sure its worth making the trip from the East Coast.

    Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

  8. #48
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Go for it. If you are invited to the written, then you qualify in some way. And just because someone is a medic, doesn't mean they will pass the written or other parts of the process. I'm from out of state also. If you can picture yourself living there, then I'd take the chance.

  9. #49
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    811

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere View Post
    Couple questions...

    First off, thanks for taking the time to read this. I've got a few questions about San Diego City.

    I see that they only require NR EMT Basic but that they're looking for NR Paramedics, its "Highly Desirable". Does anyone have any insight as to what they're actually going to hire? Is it even worth it to test if you're not a medic?

    Same regarding the California Fire Fighter I/II certs. Anyone have any idea if its worth testing without these? (I have IFSAC FF II but I see that CA does not offer reciprocity).

    San Diego seems like it would be a great place to live and work, and I'm excited to be in the process, but times are tight and I just want to make sure its worth making the trip from the East Coast.

    Thanks again for taking the time to read this.
    CA does not offer reciprocity, yet. Could offer it from what I've been told from the Local College. Honestly, from what I know it's a matter of subjects taught, hours taught, testing and the all mighty buck. The Guys I know from SDFD are like Chief Lepore said are dialed. As far as if you should still test or not, my theory is "I make them tell me 'no'". Worse case scenario is you are not successful and you find out where you are weaker and can work on it. As far as CSFM FF 1/2, they are both able to be achieved by OTJT.

    Of the Guys I know, none of them live in the City but because of the freeway system we have here driving is not too terrible.

    I hope this helps ya out.....
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 01-08-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added living
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

    Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

    Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

  10. #50
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    114

    Default

    looks like I'll be taking the test after all, I recert my EMT tomorrow and have till Friday to turn in a copy, giddy up

  11. #51
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Anyone heard further on the test? Does it typically take an extended period of time from application to test date?

  12. #52
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StrangerDanger14 View Post
    Anyone heard further on the test? Does it typically take an extended period of time from application to test date?
    when I took the test in 09 I think i turned my app in jan, and the exam wasn't till almost April, I ran into a BC the other day and he was told they had 5k apps turned in

  13. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Called a person in HR today. They said the test dates/times and study material will be arriving around the second week of February. Good luck.

  14. #54
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EB1980 View Post
    when I took the test in 09 I think i turned my app in jan, and the exam wasn't till almost April, I ran into a BC the other day and he was told they had 5k apps turned in

    You mean 5k apps the time you tested, or are you referring to this time around?

  15. #55
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer View Post
    You mean 5k apps the time you tested, or are you referring to this time around?
    This time around, in 09 I think around 1800 applied.

  16. #56
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    61

    Default

    EB1980. Did you hear back anything after you submit your certs?

    i was in a similar situation, i submitted my application then had to recert and i faxed them my copies but havnt heard back.. im guess we wont hear back till 2nd week of feb.

  17. #57
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durank View Post
    EB1980. Did you hear back anything after you submit your certs?

    i was in a similar situation, i submitted my application then had to recert and i faxed them my copies but havnt heard back.. im guess we wont hear back till 2nd week of feb.
    Nope nothing yet, and I turned it in by hand

  18. #58
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    114

    Default

    status went from fail to pass as of today

  19. #59
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EB1980 View Post
    status went from fail to pass as of today
    Welcome back.

    Just waiting for that next step.

  20. #60
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Emails will be sent out late this week or early next week. The test is scheduled for mid march. fyi.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. San Diego Firefighters Salary and Mayor
    By martz847 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 08-03-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 07:09 PM
  3. San Diego FD problems
    By FFFRED in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 01:09 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 04-04-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 08:45 AM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 02-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts