Forum Member

Exclamation billing? How much and how to.

My dept is a vol dept outside lima OH, we get under 100 runs with the same money problems that is going across the state. We have never billed. All we provide is fire and rescue no EMS. Some members are thinking that we need anothere income outher than tax millage. we have three state routes in our area. mostly, if we get a run its MVA and they're from outside our twp.(how can we charge those who we help that are not from our area?) What are our options and how much can we make. I need a good presentation to sell this any ideas to the elders of the dept.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrfdcap View Post
    My dept is a vol dept outside lima OH, we get under 100 runs with the same money problems that is going across the state. We have never billed. All we provide is fire and rescue no EMS. Some members are thinking that we need anothere income outher than tax millage. we have three state routes in our area. mostly, if we get a run its MVA and they're from outside our twp.(how can we charge those who we help that are not from our area?) What are our options and how much can we make. I need a good presentation to sell this any ideas to the elders of the dept.

Contact the City/Town/County Attorney and seek this from that office.

That would be the best bet.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Please don't do it!! I think it's nothing more than kicking somebody when they're down, and a backdoor tax to boot!! How much do you recieve, and how much do you need? We also have three state routes, but have ample resources without having to bill.

Forum Member

we get less than $60,000 a year. That amount is srinking until 2014 becouse for clumbus doings. Im agenst billing our tax payers im looking at billing (hate to use this term but outsiders) but thay get a free service. still looking for the pros and cons just to present the idea to our members

Forum Member

I used to be a part of a membership based/funded department. The charges were set by the state of Missouri $100.00 for simple response $1000.00 for an extrication $500.00 per hour per truck for fires. As far as kicking somebody when they are down, your department probably collects insurance information in involved parties, Right. The bill should be sent to the insurance company and CC'd to the owner of the property. That is how we did it. Since the department has passed a property tax and the property owners pay for the protection of everybody. Also People living in the community that chose not to become members were not only charged the $500.00 per hour per truck including mutual aid trucks, they were charged the $50.00 membership fee for one year of service. Our department was surviving on only 23-26,000 dollars per year...
    Last edited by west1303; 12-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Forum Member

BTW the insurance companies see these charges as an extension of the accident, just like damage caused by extrication!!!

Forum Member

Default Billing? How much and how to continued

Well my department is in the same boat. We run about 60 to 70 runs a year. We operate on a $10,000.00 budget. We have 2 state routes in our jurisdiction, a middle school serve a population of 1300 and now have a 500+ CSX intermodal railyard literaly 1 mile from our station ( its not in our jurisdiction but the main rails in and out of it do). We are lacking major equipment and funds and need some serious input on this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Thread Information