Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Cincinnati, Ohio 2010

This is for anyone that completed the last hiring process for Cincinnati. The Fire Chief requested that the current eligibility list that was scheduled to expire next month be extended for 1 year. His plan is to request a new fire recruit class in January 2013. The list extension has been approved. At this point there have been no plans made by the city administration to have a class since that budget will not be approved until the fall of next year. Also, that is when it will be decided how many recruits can be hired. Currently the Fire Department is about 70 firefighters below full strength.

Forum Member

some hope is better than no hope. thanks for the info

Forum Member

Well that's pretty good news for those on the current eligible list! Anybody on here have any knowledge of how Departments determine the upper age limits? I haven't been able to find out too much info on it and the response I received was that they follow the civil service guidelines set by the state. I guess I'm wondering if it is set by the state, then how can different cities within the same state have different age limits? I.E. Columbus (no age limit), Cleveland (35 or under), Cincy (36 or under).

So, in a situation where someone was under the age limit when the eligible list was established but then while on the list they reached the maximum age- when and if they extend the list out will they go through and remove those from the list that are no longer eligible based on there age? Or will they just keep the list the way it is and just not consider them for appointment if and when they decided to hire?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by runner32 View Post
    Well that's pretty good news for those on the current eligible list! Anybody on here have any knowledge of how Departments determine the upper age limits? I haven't been able to find out too much info on it and the response I received was that they follow the civil service guidelines set by the state. I guess I'm wondering if it is set by the state, then how can different cities within the same state have different age limits? I.E. Columbus (no age limit), Cleveland (35 or under), Cincy (36 or under).

So, in a situation where someone was under the age limit when the eligible list was established but then while on the list they reached the maximum age- when and if they extend the list out will they go through and remove those from the list that are no longer eligible based on there age? Or will they just keep the list the way it is and just not consider them for appointment if and when they decided to hire?
    With the information you have the only thing you can deduce is that each individual city sets their own guidelines. As far as your other questions, a city that has an age limit usually spells it out at the time of application. If their age limit is 35, it will say something along the lines of, all candidates must not have reached their 36th birthday at time of application or all candidates must not have reached their 36th birthday at time of appointment. If it says at application, I interpret that as meaning it does not matter how old you are if you met the criteria when you applied. The latter is self explanatory. With civil service you always have the ability to appeal a decision.

Forum Member

Looking on the cities website I see they have taken down the list for Fire Recruit. Any word on why or if they plan on testing again?

Forum Member

I am not sure why they took the list down. I don't like to post anything unless I know that it's actually true and not just a rumor. What I do know is true is the Chief wants a class of 40 in August. The city is trying to come up with a way to fund the class and also doesn't want that many. I am not sure they would have been able to get 40 off of the last list since there were only 80 or so on the list. When I get actual real information and not just "rumors from a credible source" I will post it.

Forum Member

So here is the latest and greatest. As far as the list being taken off of the web site, the Chief is not sure why that happened. That list is still good and will be used if there is a recruit class this year. The earliest a recruit class could happen is in August and that depends on the economy remaining where it is. Also the department applied for another SAFER grant on 1/30/12 for 40 recruits. So if you are on that list pay attention to the SAFER grants being awarded as that will probably have the most impact on whether there is a class this year or not.

Secondly, if there is a class, the city will also be starting another fire recruit hiring process for a class next year. So certainly apply for that process even if you are on the current list until you hear otherwise. Until then that is all the information available. All of this information comes from the Fire Chief himself.

Forum Member

i just got a call asking if i was still interested in the process and an update of info, anyone else?

Forum Member

got an email about taking another polygraph test. dont want to have to go through that again but its good news. anyone else?

Forum Member

deleted comment
    Last edited by runner32; 04-16-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Thread Information