Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mask fogging while on RIT standby

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy171 View Post
    They do recon of the building, harden entrance/egress points, ladder upper story windows etc.
    I hope you meant soften entrance/egress points.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Lol, "secure" may have been a better word. In other works they make sure they are open and stay open, ie chock doors open, take off hinges, use webbing, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD View Post
    It shouldn't be the same RIT team sitting there for the entire operation. They should be switched out as well. Especially if it's hot or freezing.
    While rehab is important you must remember that each time a ric is swapped you must have a full briefing. Even with the briefing there is still a loss of information. The original ric has studied building blueprints as well as locations of operating units. Constantly swapping them out does more harm then good. Besides...10 seconds to don a mask should be considered as part of the normal response.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 53fireman View Post
    The RIT serves many other functions on the fireground as well that will ease their job should a MAYDAY situation arise - throwing ladders, utility control, identifying access/egress points, marking sides of the building, staging tools & equipment, and knowing where the next hoseline may come from if needed. You can't size up a building properly with a facepiece on, how are you going to perform any of those other functions with one on?
    Very good point. While the ric team is performing these other functions (the ric is doing their job by preventing emergencies before they happen) they should simply have their mask hanging from the regulator at their side. By the time they are briefed to deploy the mask should be on.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by fmbamember View Post
    While rehab is important you must remember that each time a ric is swapped you must have a full briefing. Even with the briefing there is still a loss of information. The original ric has studied building blueprints as well as locations of operating units. Constantly swapping them out does more harm then good. Besides...10 seconds to don a mask should be considered as part of the normal response.
    Blueprints?

Wow.... I've never seen a set of plans on any actual structure fire.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Let's talk fire trucks!

The original ric has studied building blueprints as well as locations of operating units.
    Studied building blueprints??
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Studied building blueprints??
    That is pretty standard for high rise fires in my department. The command post is given a set of blue prints and if the ric is forward staged they will take a copy with them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Blueprints?

Wow.... I've never seen a set of plans on any actual structure fire.
    See my post about high rise fires but we also try to include blueprints on larger structures in with our preplans. They are beneficial in giving alternate means of access/egress for where members are operating.

Let's talk fire trucks!

That is pretty standard for high rise fires in my department. The command post is given a set of blue prints and if the ric is forward staged they will take a copy with them.
    An actual set of building blueprints from the building engineer? Who's responsible for obtaining, maintaining, and verifying these?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    lol, in VA when I was observing they kept their truck doors open in the bay to minimize response time. Really if it takes you ten seconds to open a door, then you don't need to be a driver. Saving time isn't that necessary, but you should be confident in your speed and skills that you shouldn't have to worry about those extra five second. Kind of like the CPAT.
    Leaving to doors of the rig opened while sitting in the bays is usually for to keep the air movement going inside the cab and to make one less step to boarding the rig when you are making a call.

I can and open the door in less than a second to get in the cab.

Also I call bs on the blueprints on the fire scene.

As many times I have been to high rises, I have never seen a set of blueprints or any other colored prints!!

You have watched Towering Inferno too much!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-23-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

we have preplans to act as "blueprints"
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

Forum Member

LOL being masked up is absolutely ridiculous. There's a lot of things the RIT team should be doing though (360/ongoing assessment of conditions, throwing ladders, etc) Not just standing around with your thumb up your ***. If you're a good firefighter it should take you less than 10 seconds to mask up with your gloves on.

Forum Member

if you're confident in your equipment, it should take less than 10 secs.

Forum Member

if you're confident in your equipment, it should take less than 10 secs.
    If your not confident in your equipment...you have no right to be part of a FAST/RIT/RIC team. Period.
    Ctuttle3d likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Leaving to doors of the rig opened while sitting in the bays is usually for to keep the air movement going inside the cab and to make one less step to boarding the rig when you are making a call.

I can and open the door in less than a second to get in the cab.

Also I call bs on the blueprints on the fire scene.

As many times I have been to high rises, I have never seen a set of blueprints or any other colored prints!!

You have watched Towering Inferno too much!
    You can call BS all you want cappy but yes we have them for the larger buildings. The security at the front desk brings them out as soon as we get there.

Forum Member

You can call BS all you want cappy but yes we have them for the larger buildings. The security at the front desk brings them out as soon as we get there.
    As long as you realize that's not the way it works for most buildings in most places.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

My department's SOG's also doesn't have our RIT masked up while on standby. Tools are laid out on a tarp and 1 hour cylinders are switched to.

If this is your departmental SOG then you have to work around it.

When I swam competitively once upon a time we used either commercial lens defogger or baby shampoo works just as well. Check swimming, snowboarding, scuba diving shops for commercial defogger.

MembersZone Subscriber

lol, in VA when I was observing they kept their truck doors open in the bay to minimize response time. Really if it takes you ten seconds to open a door, then you don't need to be a driver. Saving time isn't that necessary, but you should be confident in your speed and skills that you shouldn't have to worry about those extra five second. Kind of like the CPAT.
    And here I thought we kept the doors open to encourage the public we serve to come in and talk to us. Silly me.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

you keep the truck doors open to let them come in?
    I've never seen a fire dept. in VA that kept their bay doors open.

Forum Member

You don't need the face piece on your face standing by as a member of the RIT.

Have it handy so it can be in place on your face, in less than a minute.

About the station doors, I guess you haven't been all over Virginia. I don't where you have been but a lot of career fire stations across the Commonwealth will have the overhead doors in the open position during the days when the weather permits it.

The truck door usually will remain open as well, while the company in quarters. What would the purpose be to keep them closed?

Let's talk fire trucks!

you keep the truck doors open to let them come in?
    I've never seen a fire dept. in VA that kept their bay doors open.
    Not sure how few firehouses you visited in our Commonwealth, but it's routine to leave the bay doors open while in quarters...across the state, both career and volunteer. Ours (both work and volly) are open as much as practically possible.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Same here.

Forum Member

Williams, New Kent, JCC, York, Newport News, Norfolk, Hampton, Henrico, VB, Richmond, just to name a few.

But we're not getting off topic today.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Williams, New Kent, JCC, York, Newport News, Norfolk, Hampton, Henrico, VB, Richmond, just to name a few.
    That's odd, since Spencer534, CaptOldTimer, VBFDJohn, and I either are (or have been) associtated with several of the departments you listed above. In fact, our chief instructs us to leave the doors open at all times possible. I find it really hard to believe that unless you were visiting at night or during a rainstorm, you "never" found any bay doors open.

OK, enough of that, carry on with the mask & RIT discussion.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

But we're not getting off topic today.

You are the one who got off the topic!

As far as the bay doors, some fire houses leave them close, due to the area they are in. Too many unscrupulous people walking around may slip in and steal some gear. Therefore the houses where this may present a problem keep the door closed, the doors locked.

In fact when they turn out for a call of service, they make sure the doors are down before heading up or down the street. I have seen a lot of items stolen from fire houses in these areas by leaving the doors open day or night and when they are out on a run.

Years back, in the summer, we seldom closed the bay doors. Of course we had a watch man awake all night on a rotating watch.

Of course they are some houses that keep the doors down, to keep the trolls away too!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information