Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mask fogging while on RIT standby

  1. #21
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    so while placing a RIT team on standby, does this mean the IC will have to stage additional companies to extricate? Also since we're on the topic, the mask fogging up can be prevented by rain-x or "low abrasive toothpaste".
    Good idea- rub a flammable liquid into your mask.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."


  2. #22
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Haughton, LA
    Posts
    214

    Default

    eh, it works for paintballing and diving.
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

  3. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    All over the east coast
    Posts
    249

    Default

    The RIT serves many other functions on the fireground as well that will ease their job should a MAYDAY situation arise - throwing ladders, utility control, identifying access/egress points, marking sides of the building, staging tools & equipment, and knowing where the next hoseline may come from if needed. You can't size up a building properly with a facepiece on, how are you going to perform any of those other functions with one on?

  4. #24
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    eh, it works for paintballing and diving.

    paintballing and diving don't take place within a burning building
    Ctuttle3d likes this.

  5. #25
    Forum Member ziggy171's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    98

    Default

    I agree with 53fireman. In our area the RIT is active on the fireground. They never engage in an activity that they can't drop at a second's notice and report to their point of entry. They do recon of the building, harden entrance/egress points, ladder upper story windows etc. They will have all their equipment staged and ready to go if they are needed. It's worked very well for us.

  6. #26
    Forum Member yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy171 View Post
    They do recon of the building, harden entrance/egress points, ladder upper story windows etc.
    I hope you meant soften entrance/egress points.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

  7. #27
    Forum Member ziggy171's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Lol, "secure" may have been a better word. In other works they make sure they are open and stay open, ie chock doors open, take off hinges, use webbing, etc.

  8. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD View Post
    It shouldn't be the same RIT team sitting there for the entire operation. They should be switched out as well. Especially if it's hot or freezing.
    While rehab is important you must remember that each time a ric is swapped you must have a full briefing. Even with the briefing there is still a loss of information. The original ric has studied building blueprints as well as locations of operating units. Constantly swapping them out does more harm then good. Besides...10 seconds to don a mask should be considered as part of the normal response.

  9. #29
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 53fireman View Post
    The RIT serves many other functions on the fireground as well that will ease their job should a MAYDAY situation arise - throwing ladders, utility control, identifying access/egress points, marking sides of the building, staging tools & equipment, and knowing where the next hoseline may come from if needed. You can't size up a building properly with a facepiece on, how are you going to perform any of those other functions with one on?
    Very good point. While the ric team is performing these other functions (the ric is doing their job by preventing emergencies before they happen) they should simply have their mask hanging from the regulator at their side. By the time they are briefed to deploy the mask should be on.

  10. #30
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmbamember View Post
    While rehab is important you must remember that each time a ric is swapped you must have a full briefing. Even with the briefing there is still a loss of information. The original ric has studied building blueprints as well as locations of operating units. Constantly swapping them out does more harm then good. Besides...10 seconds to don a mask should be considered as part of the normal response.
    Blueprints?

    Wow.... I've never seen a set of plans on any actual structure fire.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  11. #31
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmbamember View Post
    The original ric has studied building blueprints as well as locations of operating units.
    Studied building blueprints??
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  12. #32
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Studied building blueprints??
    That is pretty standard for high rise fires in my department. The command post is given a set of blue prints and if the ric is forward staged they will take a copy with them.

  13. #33
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Blueprints?

    Wow.... I've never seen a set of plans on any actual structure fire.
    See my post about high rise fires but we also try to include blueprints on larger structures in with our preplans. They are beneficial in giving alternate means of access/egress for where members are operating.

  14. #34
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmbamember View Post
    That is pretty standard for high rise fires in my department. The command post is given a set of blue prints and if the ric is forward staged they will take a copy with them.
    An actual set of building blueprints from the building engineer? Who's responsible for obtaining, maintaining, and verifying these?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  15. #35
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    lol, in VA when I was observing they kept their truck doors open in the bay to minimize response time. Really if it takes you ten seconds to open a door, then you don't need to be a driver. Saving time isn't that necessary, but you should be confident in your speed and skills that you shouldn't have to worry about those extra five second. Kind of like the CPAT.
    Leaving to doors of the rig opened while sitting in the bays is usually for to keep the air movement going inside the cab and to make one less step to boarding the rig when you are making a call.

    I can and open the door in less than a second to get in the cab.



    Also I call bs on the blueprints on the fire scene.

    As many times I have been to high rises, I have never seen a set of blueprints or any other colored prints!!

    You have watched Towering Inferno too much!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-23-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  16. #36
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Haughton, LA
    Posts
    214

    Default

    we have preplans to act as "blueprints"
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

  17. #37
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    111

    Default

    LOL being masked up is absolutely ridiculous. There's a lot of things the RIT team should be doing though (360/ongoing assessment of conditions, throwing ladders, etc) Not just standing around with your thumb up your ***. If you're a good firefighter it should take you less than 10 seconds to mask up with your gloves on.

  18. #38
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Haughton, LA
    Posts
    214

    Default

    if you're confident in your equipment, it should take less than 10 secs.
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

  19. #39
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    if you're confident in your equipment, it should take less than 10 secs.
    If your not confident in your equipment...you have no right to be part of a FAST/RIT/RIC team. Period.
    Ctuttle3d likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  20. #40
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Leaving to doors of the rig opened while sitting in the bays is usually for to keep the air movement going inside the cab and to make one less step to boarding the rig when you are making a call.

    I can and open the door in less than a second to get in the cab.



    Also I call bs on the blueprints on the fire scene.

    As many times I have been to high rises, I have never seen a set of blueprints or any other colored prints!!

    You have watched Towering Inferno too much!
    You can call BS all you want cappy but yes we have them for the larger buildings. The security at the front desk brings them out as soon as we get there.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. prescription mask - prescription glasses for mask???
    By 3genfirefighter in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
  2. Fogging Mask
    By FyrnResQ in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 02:34 PM
  3. Air mask fogging
    By KevinFFVFD in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 12:23 AM
  4. Civilian Fire Fatalities
    By DCFF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-08-2002, 08:18 AM
  5. 09-02-00 RIT Call...
    By Scene25 in forum Rapid Intervention
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2000, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts