Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 75 of 75
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mask fogging while on RIT standby

  1. #61
    Forum Member Beach Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I go back to my other posts... the best way is to put the mask on when you need it.
    Wow. That is so simple. But it has nothing to do with what he was asking in the first post. He wanted to know a way other than just not masking up to prevent it from fogging. And as you should know, being a "Chief" and all, the RIT team should always have their masks on while on standby. So in the event they are needed, the just snap the face piece on and they are ready to go in.
    Last edited by Beach Head; 02-01-2012 at 06:10 PM.


  2. #62
    Forum Member Beach Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    The RIT should NOT be masked up.

    I see no grey in this, so forgive me.

    Wearing a mask you have artificially narrowed your situational awareness. The RIT should be fully engaged, using all their senses, to monitor the fire. Not looking through a tunnel with ALL their senses compromised.

    Wearing a mask and being fully outfitted is a great way to wear out the RIT before they even get called to be used. I'd rather they take an extra 20 seconds to mask/hood up then to be heat stressed to an even worse degree. Think of the 90 degree days when just being turned out wears you down... now add a mask/hood and stand around for 30 minutes. Stupid.

    Seriously, if you are deployed, do you think that extra 20 seconds is THAT critical? I don't.
    Ok I'm going to reply to this and just ignore you because you just seem like the type of person who thinks no one else knows what they are talking about and anything someone says contrary to your opinion is blasphemy. The whole point of a RIT or RIC (RAPID Intervention Team/Crew) is to have a group of people ready to go in at any second if a crew is trapped/compromised. So absolutely 20 seconds at a fire matters. We are taught that every second matters during the stages of a fire. Whether it be the chance of survivability for a person or the structure. Not to mention, I've never been on a RIT team where I was fully packed up for 30 straight minutes. RIT teams are only needed when crews are working inside of a structure, you are looking at this all wrong. Your argument of being fully geared while on standby wears the crew out makes no sense. They are far better off fully geared and on standby than the crews inside the burning structure. Everyone at a fire scene is going to get fatigued, especially in 90 degree weather. It's just a fact of life.

  3. #63
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head View Post
    Ok I'm going to reply to this and just ignore you because you just seem like the type of person who thinks no one else knows what they are talking about and anything someone says contrary to your opinion is blasphemy. The whole point of a RIT or RIC (RAPID Intervention Team/Crew) is to have a group of people ready to go in at any second if a crew is trapped/compromised. So absolutely 20 seconds at a fire matters. We are taught that every second matters during the stages of a fire. Whether it be the chance of survivability for a person or the structure. Not to mention, I've never been on a RIT team where I was fully packed up for 30 straight minutes. RIT teams are only needed when crews are working inside of a structure, you are looking at this all wrong. Your argument of being fully geared while on standby wears the crew out makes no sense. They are far better off fully geared and on standby than the crews inside the burning structure. Everyone at a fire scene is going to get fatigued, especially in 90 degree weather. It's just a fact of life.
    It's a shame you can't just have a dialogue. I'll reply, because that is kind of the point of this whole forum. Most people who make statements like you did, do so because they know they can't back up their "final comment" and choose to run and hide. Go hide, Nancy.

    If you can't walk from the staging area, get a briefing, develop a plan, and put your mask on, then you are a simpleton.

    Using your approach, I'm guessing the RIT team also RUNS at TOP SPEED to get to the structure, right? As you said, every second counts. Now, we know they don't, right? Why? Because it is unsafe. Kind of like sitting around, fully masked up, losing your situational awareness and getting needlessly fatigued.

    To think that the RIT will just go running into a building when a mayday is called is just exposing your lack of any real experience.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  4. #64
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head View Post
    ...Not to mention, I've never been on a RIT team where I was fully packed up for 30 straight minutes...
    and for those of us that have....it is a very valid point.


    When you are RiT/RIC/FAST...do you just stand in one location observing and waiting to be put into action?

    or do you assess the building, ladder where needed, open windows/doors fully where needed, etc. (you know, things that should be done in advance of having to perform a rescue) Guess the main question is....are you reactive or proactive?


    Cuz if you are proactive...standing around practicing your breathing techniques with a mask in place (but not air) is not gonna happen.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  5. #65
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    As you said, every second counts. Now, we know they don't, right? Why? Because it is unsafe. Kind of like sitting around, fully masked up, losing your situational awareness and getting needlessly fatigued.

    To think that the RIT will just go running into a building when a mayday is called is just exposing your lack of any real experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    and for those of us that have....it is a very valid point.
    Cuz if you are proactive...standing around practicing your breathing techniques with a mask in place (but not air) is not gonna happen.
    I have to completely agree with my brothers from the Garden State. RIT isn't a stand-in-place function, it requires situational awareness along with the completion of other fireground tasks. Doing these things with your mask on is a way to expedite your exhaustion and fatigue.

    Yes, many of us have been assigned to RIT in excess of 30 minutes.

    I'm curious, how many times have you been on an RIT team that was activated and went to work?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  6. #66
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head View Post
    And as you should know, being a "Chief" and all, the RIT team should always have their masks on while on standby. .
    And what you do not know, due to your 22 years of age and 3 years in the fire service in Iowa is what we have been trying to explain- that the height of readyness falls upon all members of the FAST team to maintain situational awareness at all times- be mindful of all actions and events on the fireground. Contribute suggestions to the IC verbally ("Hey boss, maybe throw another ground ladder to the third floor?") and maintain a watchful eye at all times.......This cannot be done with your mask on.......It only takes a few seconds to throw your mask on.
    Ctuttle3d likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  7. #67
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    West Burlington, IA
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head View Post
    ....... RIT teams are only needed when crews are working inside of a structure, you are looking at this all wrong. .......
    As a RIT instructor, I'm gonna call you out on this one. Your wrong in the fact that RIT crews are not only needed when crews are working inside a structure, they are for crews all over the fireground, inside and OUT.

    If you need any proof of what I'm saying, feel free to PM me and I'll share with you the happenings of our fellow IOWA fire fighters up near Parkersburg. They weren't inside but still, RIT was needed; outside.

    Regarding the original poster's "mask on, mask off", my view is mask off. Provided they're lucky enough to have the time to do so, a properly staged RIT team(s) have their equipment ready to go and laid out. They don't huddle near the same door the hoseline(s) are going in as they might not use that egress point. They standby, ready to react. While they should be geared up, I agree that masking up shouldn't take them more than 20 seconds to put on and begin their entry. If it does, then they need to either practice more or consider excusing themselves from the team(s).

    Rapid, yes. But not beyond the point of abandoning their own safety first.
    Last edited by WBFD25; 02-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.

  8. #68
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Hey beachboy -- dont back down - skool them fools - three sixty all the way.
    ?

  9. #69
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I need to say after reading some posts... never put any thing (solution, soap, shaving cream tooth paste ext.) on your mask if i didnt come from the manufacture, or isnt recomended by the manufacture. that being said, and please forgive me if this has been covered, there is a mask clearing device that works graet... it is simply two magnets with peices of fabric attached. one goes on the out side one on the inside. when you move the outside on the inside one follows.... most scba manufactures make them....also i say mask off...

  10. #70
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    I've got to agree with those who say mask off. It only takes a few seconds to put your face piece on. Sometimes slowing down is speeding up. Too many guys want to just rush into everything.

    Like others have said, RIT should be pro-active; ground ladders, forcing exterior doors & gates, removing fence sections if needed. And, it's true that RIT may be needed outside. I've seen is quite a few times. Ice is not ones friend on the fire ground. Saw a chief slip on the ice and break his leg so bad it ended his career.

    Keep in mind that RIT is a dynamic, ever changing resource. Just because your dept trains for it a certain way doesn't mean the conditions on the fire ground will allow for it. You might find you need to activate two teams at the same time, reassign a company as an additional RIT, position a RIT engine company with a line to support the search team, or even fill out an additional alarm assignment as RIT. The situation determines.

    I'll add this too; get yourself in a crucial RIT situation where one of your brothers is actually in trouble, and the sound of a PASS device going off will have a different meaning to you forever. When you're crawling though the black and the heat that sound transforms from the annoyance of someone not turning their bottle off to something more sinister. If I never hear another PASS sounding ever again, it'll still be too soon.
    RFDACM02 likes this.

  11. #71
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head View Post
    And as you should know, being a "Chief" and all, the RIT team should always have their masks on while on standby.
    That's it huh, end of story? And who professes this is the "best way"? In my view this totally impairs the RIT's ability to continually size-up the fireground to the best of their abilities. How long does masking up take that we'll ignore/hamper the our best sense while standing by? Maybe youi've spent to much time in the sun on the beach?

  12. #72
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,799

    Default Son of a Beach

    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Head View Post
    Ok I'm going to reply to this and just ignore you because you just seem like the type of person who thinks no one else knows what they are talking about and anything someone says contrary to your opinion is blasphemy. The whole point of a RIT or RIC (RAPID Intervention Team/Crew) is to have a group of people ready to go in at any second if a crew is trapped/compromised. So absolutely 20 seconds at a fire matters. We are taught that every second matters during the stages of a fire. Whether it be the chance of survivability for a person or the structure. Not to mention, I've never been on a RIT team where I was fully packed up for 30 straight minutes. RIT teams are only needed when crews are working inside of a structure, you are looking at this all wrong. Your argument of being fully geared while on standby wears the crew out makes no sense. They are far better off fully geared and on standby than the crews inside the burning structure. Everyone at a fire scene is going to get fatigued, especially in 90 degree weather. It's just a fact of life.
    And some wonder why we still average 100 LODD's a year? Yeah, yeah, most of them have little to do with the fireground, but it's the attitude and silly "logic" that is pervasive in our ranks that causes far too many injuries, close-calls and fatalities.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 05-04-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: my keyboard caused misspelled words

  13. #73
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    126

    Default

    I see the mask issue in my area frequently, and not just in RIT standby. In my dept we've done a good job of getting our members to leave their facepieces off until they are actually preparing to enter the IDLH. As far as RIT goes, I agree with RFDACM02, in most fires the primary function of the RIT company is to continually assess the building and the fire. RIT is a dynamic assignment, the RIT team should know as much about what's going on inside as the IC and command staff do, with a focus on prevention of the need to actually deploy the RIT team! You can't do that being a lawn shepherd with a facepiece on and accomplish those tasks to full effectiveness, I don't care who you are. If you have trained properly with your SCBA and are "combat ready", you should be able to mask up in a matter of seconds, even with your gloves on. Also, that extra few seconds gives you a quick "reset".

    Our culture has started to get "RIT happy" and we forget that 75% of their job is PREVENTION.
    RFDACM02 likes this.

  14. #74
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I have to say that we do not mask up as the RIC team... We have full gear on and are ready to go to work if need. We hope not!
    As the RIC team we do have some work we do while on "stand-by". We do not just stand there by the truck and wait. We will go around the building and see if there are any hazards for the fire ground. Examples are screen doors still on the house, bars over windows, change in fire conditions, opening up egress doors or windows, throwing ladders for firefighter egress, etc. We look at ourselves as kind of a safety officer on the fire ground. Right wrong or indeferent... It works for us. I have seen where we have taken bars off of windows and that window being used as a egress point an we were all happy we got the bars off of the window!
    The only thing that I can think of is NO MASK! I know that did not really answere your question but that is what i would have to say.

  15. #75
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    51

    Default

    I feel the RIT FAST RIC team members should absolutely remained unmasked. Being masked/ hooded up causes them to be hotter causing them to sweat therefore dehydration becomes an unneeded risk..... Also a few breaths worth the air every few minutes could turn your half hour bottle that last 20 Minutes? Into 18 minutes so the 30 seconds you "saved" become a minute and a half loss..... And I would NEVER put something on my mask that is not recommended by its manufacturer, but then again it's only keeping you alive...... Just my opinion.....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. prescription mask - prescription glasses for mask???
    By 3genfirefighter in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
  2. Fogging Mask
    By FyrnResQ in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 02:34 PM
  3. Air mask fogging
    By KevinFFVFD in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 12:23 AM
  4. Civilian Fire Fatalities
    By DCFF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-08-2002, 08:18 AM
  5. 09-02-00 RIT Call...
    By Scene25 in forum Rapid Intervention
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2000, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts