Thread: Cross training

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default Cross training

    So we have a member of our department, who, not saying any names, just has basic fire, the department is trying to become 100% cross trained with fire 1, hazmat and at least first responder. This individual refuses to take classes, and has alot of trouble reading and writing. Im really not trying to be mean just honest. Alot of us want him to go and get out of the department because he is a trouble maker at the station and a nusiance on calls sometime disrespecting the patient and fellow firefighters. What do you all think of this?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,952

    Default

    Well are there steps in place to demember him??

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktstull View Post
    What do you all think of this?
    I think that:

    1. You shouldnt come on here in an open, public forum and air your dirty laundry whether you post names of organizations or persons or not.

    2. Instead of beating your chest on here, why not use your time constructively and try to help this person to further his/her training? If he/she has a problem with reading and writing as you claim, perhaps this is the reason why they do not wish to take anymore classes/training. You could potentially be throwing away a valuable asset without understanding the crux of the problem.

    3. If he/she really is that much of a problem child- if they are such a drag on the morale and welfare of your organization, then instead of coming on here like a chicken schit, why not grow a set and approach that person and tell them directly, to their face how you feel? Are you man enough?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktstull View Post
    So we have a member of our department, who, not saying any names, just has basic fire, the department is trying to become 100% cross trained with fire 1, hazmat and at least first responder. This individual refuses to take classes, and has alot of trouble reading and writing. Im really not trying to be mean just honest. Alot of us want him to go and get out of the department because he is a trouble maker at the station and a nusiance on calls sometime disrespecting the patient and fellow firefighters. What do you all think of this?

    What is with the beginning of these posts with the word, SO??


    Why are these young people writing like this?


    You guys should be helping this member instead of trying to run him or her out the door! Try some brotherhood and help to help those who may not have the grip on this job as others mat have.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktstull View Post
    So we have a member of our department, who, not saying any names, just has basic fire, the department is trying to become 100% cross trained with fire 1, hazmat and at least first responder. This individual refuses to take classes, and has alot of trouble reading and writing. Im really not trying to be mean just honest. Alot of us want him to go and get out of the department because he is a trouble maker at the station and a nusiance on calls sometime disrespecting the patient and fellow firefighters. What do you all think of this?
    Trouble writing seems to run in your department.

    Have you discussed it with your Chief instead of here?

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Well are there steps in place to demember him??
    It takes four horses, (maybe 5) tied to each member. Each horse is held until the given signal, normally a gunshot is sounded, causing each horse to run away from the sound.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    What is with the beginning of these posts with the word, SO??


    Why are these young people writing like this?


    You guys should be helping this member instead of trying to run him or her out the door! Try some brotherhood and help to help those who may not have the grip on this job as others mat have.
    So, you know, like wow. Maybe, I don't know, he like stinks. Thats it, he stinks, so, like, we got to get rid of him. And his car? Like man, come on, his car is like some old guys.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    It takes four horses, (maybe 5) tied to each member. Each horse is held until the given signal, normally a gunshot is sounded, causing each horse to run away from the sound.
    thats DISmember you meathead!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    The inability of the youth of today to communicate face to face is borne out of the electronic age. They text, pm, e-mail, facebook, chatroom, and more, where real human contact and the emotions that go with it are missing, and rarely thought of. Hell, people meet online, fall in love, and break up without ever having seen each other physically, or even exchanged a phone call. Guys and girls break up relationships online because it is easier to send an e-mail than to deal with emotions. It is pathetically sad actually.

    I would also add that it takes GUTS, and a WILLINGNESS to stand up for what you believe to talk to the Chief or the firefighter in question. It is always easier to sit in the back and snipe or to goad someone else into doing the dirty work than to get your hands dirty and do it yourself.

    As for being unable to write legibly, well blame that on the schools and texting. Both of which seem less concened with the proper spelling, and grammar, and more on short cuts.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Tipys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Really guys. The OP is looking for advice. Like many other people that come on this forum everyday. It sounds like they are trying to work with him to keep him on the dept.


    Op talk to him. Find out why he doesn't want to take the classes. Then go from there. As for how he acts on scene I would talk to him about that too. If he doesn't like it coming from you have an officer above him talk to him about it.
    RIP Hela

    "You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234


    "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Really guys. The OP is looking for advice. Like many other people that come on this forum everyday. It sounds like they are trying to work with him to keep him on the dept.


    Op talk to him. Find out why he doesn't want to take the classes. Then go from there. As for how he acts on scene I would talk to him about that too. If he doesn't like it coming from you have an officer above him talk to him about it.
    Everyone who criticized what I said, I am surprised you call yourselves professionals and I ask that you do not respond to any of my threads until you learn some respect because it goes both ways, thank you. As for those of you that made good suggestions and offered assistance I thank you. The person in question, I have talked to and the reason he doesn't take classes is because he does not feel that he needs them even though a lot of us have tried to get with him and help him he still does not take any classes. The department is in the process of making it mandatory to be cross trained so soon enough it will not be a problem any more but thank you Tipys especially because when I joined, I joined the brotherhood where we were all taught to respect each other which apparently some of the people on this thread never learned.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Are you requiring everybody to get an EMS certification?

    Some people are cut out for EMS and/or haz-mat, and some folks ain't. On my combo department, which runs well over 80% EMS, we do not require our volunteer personnel to be EMS certified if they choose not to. Most do get an EMS cert, but there are those that want no part of EMS, and that is cool.

    While everybody should have haz-mat Awareness, anything beyond that, is , as I see it, should be a choice. There are certainly cold zone functions that he could perform if he has no desire to get an operations certification.

    My advice would be give him the option. And if he chooses not to, there is no reason to boot him to the curb.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West Point, VA
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktstull View Post
    has alot of trouble reading and writing.
    This is the reason he does not want to take classes. Talk to the guidance counselor at your local high school and ask how to motivate/help someone who has this problem. Dont use names. Perhaps they can point you in the right direction so that taking classes wont be such an issue for this person.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Are you requiring everybody to get an EMS certification?

    Some people are cut out for EMS and/or haz-mat, and some folks ain't. On my combo department, which runs well over 80% EMS, we do not require our volunteer personnel to be EMS certified if they choose not to. Most do get an EMS cert, but there are those that want no part of EMS, and that is cool.

    While everybody should have haz-mat Awareness, anything beyond that, is , as I see it, should be a choice. There are certainly cold zone functions that he could perform if he has no desire to get an operations certification.

    My advice would be give him the option. And if he chooses not to, there is no reason to boot him to the curb.
    The thing is the person tries to do everything, he rides on medicals when we tell him not to, and he acts like he knows everything.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer534 View Post
    This is the reason he does not want to take classes. Talk to the guidance counselor at your local high school and ask how to motivate/help someone who has this problem. Dont use names. Perhaps they can point you in the right direction so that taking classes wont be such an issue for this person.
    We have tried but he pretty much just tells us to go eff ourselves and refuses help

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktstull View Post
    The thing is the person tries to do everything, he rides on medicals when we tell him not to, and he acts like he knows everything.
    Is there a department policy or department rule prohibiting that? If there isn't any, it would seem to me that he is within his rights to do that.

    We allow non-medical personnel to ride on medicals if they are doing a ride-out or hanging at the station. Non-medical personnel are not allowed to respond from home. Non-medical personnel may be used to haul in gear, but are not allowed to have any patient contact, or assist in moving a patient on a backboard. Again, if your departmnent does not have a written policy prohibiting that, it is impossible to require medical certification for EMS runs.

    Is he the only member of your department where this is an issue?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,087

    Default

    I agree with fwd 100% so-do you really want advise ? Or are you just on here to add to your little "pecking party" ?
    I have some good advise -sweep of your own front porch , dont air your dirty laundry on here -- what goes around comes around - and dont try and build yourself up on other peoples weakness - more on request.
    Last edited by slackjawedyokel; 01-18-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: adding a comma
    ?

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,087

    Default

    de-member ??? - isnt that what lorena bobbitt did ?
    ?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Uncertified Firefighters
    By Station32 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 11:27 PM
  2. Proposed NFPA 1001 changes for 2007
    By SWLAFireDawg in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2005, 09:20 AM
  4. School Building Used For Training
    By RalphSafety in forum Emergency Services Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2005, 05:32 PM
  5. South Carolina Agency defends Training Method
    By sconfire in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 02:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register