Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Firefighter Lied About Relation To Fallen 9/11 Hero

Firefighter Lied About Relation To Fallen 9/11 Hero

The family of a firefighter killed on 9/11 was shocked and disgusted to learn a Memphis fire lieutenant marked the 10th anniversary by falsely claiming to be a cousin.

Lt. Nick Molinaro told a TV station he was related to fallen Bravest Carl Molinaro, and he even visited the dead hero’s Manhattan firehouse.

“This man is lying,” Carl Molinaro’s mother, Joan, told the Daily News on Tuesday.

“I would give anything in the world to say I didn't know anyone who died that day — and he's inventing someone.”

The lieutenant did not return calls. Memphis fire officials said they are investigating.

“We don’t condone any behavior like that,” Battalion Chief Keith Staples said. “We’re trying to get all the facts from him.”

Video from Memphis TV station WREG showed Nick Molinaro heading to New York before the 9/11 anniversary, fighting back tears as he talked about Carl.

He showed off pictures of the New York Molinaro and a patch like the one he supposedly was wearing on his final run.

“To be in this profession is not just a job, it's a way of life,” the Tennessee lieutenant said.

Carl Molinaro’s mom was Googling her son’s name when she came across the segment last week. She couldn’t fathom why someone would tell such a lie.

"Maybe he just needed to be important," she said.

She called the Memphis station to set the record straight. WREG reported that Nick Molinaro then claimed it was an honest mistake meant to honor Carl Molinaro’s memory.

“How do you honor anybody by telling a lie?” Joan Molinaro retorted.

She said that even though the falsehood caused her pain, she doesn’t want Lt. Molinaro to lose his job.

“But I want him to understand you can't do this to people,” she said. “I'm not going to let anyone use my son in that way.”

Carl Molinaro’s sister, Trudi Venditti, 41, said she feels sorry for the lieutenant.

"It is kind of weird,” the Staten Islander said.

“I just feel like maybe it was some kind of attention-seeker...Maybe it’s low self esteem.”

The Memphis firstresponder’s Facebook page chronicles his Sept. 11 trip to New York and include a photo of him posed in front of the Ladder 2 truck that bears Carl Molinaro’s name.

“RIP Carl,” he wrote in another entry.

Forum Member

If that turns out to be true -- a blanket party might be in order.
    ?

Forum Member

Somebody was looking for attention. Too bad it was on the sacrifice of a fallen brother.

Bizarre... I'm speechless.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Um, what a dumb a s s.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Huh, sounds like a guy we had who just resigned at my FT job. His real name is DAVE MARTIN!!, and he just left us to go to Iowa or somewhere out west. 1st he was a Marine Corps CFR, his father passed away 9/11 (FDNY), and then tried to join a Vol. house outside the city and was telling people he was a city fireman.

3 problems....He was a supply guy, his father definitely wasn't killed in 9/11, and don't go to a vol. firehouse telling people you are a city fireman when your name shows up on the list, and you haven't even made the 2nd round!!

BTW, he lasted less than a year.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

I feel sorry for both Molinaro families.
    IAFF

Maybe Kramer can shed some light on this guy?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post

Maybe so, they just fired 2 battalion chiefs and another firefighter.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ested-forgery/

also

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...rested-forgery
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-20-2011 at 11:43 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

This guys excuse does not even make sense.

Nick Molinaro told the Daily News that it was an “honest mistake” that stemmed from the shallowest of inquiries into his family history.

“I said, ‘Do we have any family from the New York area?’ They said, ‘Yes, I think we do,’” Molinaro said

Really? THAT is your excuse? I just did a white pages search for Molinaro in NY, NY and came up 18 of them. But this guy never lays claim to being related to any of them, only the one who is an FDNY FF huh? There are over a 100 Molinaro's in the US, does he question any of them being related to him? This guy is a LIAR, plain and simple.

Need further proof? This guy did not say the FDNY Molinaro was a distant cousin, He said a "Cousin" meaning the son of either his mother or fathers brother. Not exactly hard to verify that claim in a family. Carl Molinaro died at 32 years of age. This liar expects people to believe he never knew about his cousin untill he died?

I am glad this fraud was found out and not just at a local level but a level where it made the national news. Maybe it will discourage others from lies that disrespect true heroes, like the ones who lie about military service. This is just as bad. And ill bet money this fraud lies about a lot more things. That is what compulsive liars do. They are not otherwise honest people who choose to have one major lie in the their life. I know plenty of these types from past jobs. Everything they say is either a lie or exxagerated.

I just wonder how this guy will ever be able to face his coworkers. And he is an Officer no less. This is not a "little white lie". This is HUGE. You are lying to your freinds and co-workers about being related to a national hero. You even lie to the media AND to the hero's fellow FF's in NY. How can you even look at him let alone respect him. I don't see how he can effectivley be a leader when he has proven that he has no integrity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Maybe so, they just fired 2 battalion chiefs and another firefighter.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ested-forgery/

also

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...rested-forgery
    Wow, talk about bad press for a department. 4 confirmed fraudsters, three are Officers no less.

Forum Member

another possible recent fraud case - http://www.pressandjournal.com/artic...l.aspx?id=4233
    Last edited by 53fireman; 12-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Wow, talk about bad press for a department. 4 confirmed fraudsters, three are Officers no less.

Yeah, there is a lot more going on there too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    There is a LOT going on here right now. Sadly, not very much outside of business and politics as usual for us however with the exception that morale is the lowest I have seen in my 17 years and many folks with a LOT more time than me describe our Administration as the worst thy have ever seen or heard about.

As far as Nick goes, I really have no idea. I cannot make excuses or explain what he was thinking before, during, or now.

I can say that I have never ever heard anything bad about the guy. I have always heard he was well liked and a good fireman. Outside of that, I just don't know.

I can also say from recent personal experience that the news stories here, and most likely everywhere, have less to do with accuracy and more to do with sensationalism. I would not doubt it at all if there was more detailed information as to how this came about and purposefully omitted from the story.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 12-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

The guy is going to have enough trouble coming to grips with the story he told, himself. There is no reason for any brothers in the fireservice to pile on.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    The guy is going to have enough trouble coming to grips with the story he told, himself. There is no reason for any brothers in the fireservice to pile on.
    People make mistakes. It happens. Sometimes it's a minor thing, sometimes it's huge. What matters is what you do to make things right. To right the wrong.

I too understand how the media loves to make things sensational. And they like to makes things seem like a bigger deal then they are. In the case of Nick Molinaro, it's a pretty cut and dry issue. He lied for attention, plain and simple. You need to only look at the facts and even ignore the media report and it's crystal clear. Their is no way the media could have spun that story and made it worse. It does not get any more accurate when you have the FDNY guys mother telling her side and then seeing news footage of Nick lying. And despite what he is claiming now, this was not a "Misunderstanding". It was a lie. Plain and simple. People who get caught in lies and use the excuse "it was a misunderstanding" are not accepting blame. They are turning things around and making it out to be that the accusers are stupid and don't understand.

Thankfully it was not a case of a lie being used to make money or to get a promotion. And Carl's mother does not want to see Nick punished either. So the simplest solution i see is for him to just come clean and be honest. No excuses. Then ask his guys for forgiveness and re-earn their trust. If he is sincere i see no reason why they won't.

I wish him luck.

Forum Member

Huh, sounds like a guy we had who just resigned at my FT job. His real name is DAVE MARTIN!!,
    Just for the record....MY name is Dave Martin, and I am also from Pennsylvania, but the above-named guy IS NOT me!!

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by MEAN15 View Post
    Just for the record....MY name is Dave Martin. I am from central Pennsylvania, but the above-named guy IS NOT me!!

Just sayin'
    Ummm, didn't think anyone said it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    There is a LOT going on here right now. Sadly, not very much outside of business and politics as usual for us however with the exception that morale is the lowest I have seen in my 17 years and many folks with a LOT more time than me describe our Administration as the worst thy have ever seen or heard about.

As far as Nick goes, I really have no idea. I cannot make excuses or explain what he was thinking before, during, or now.

I can say that I have never ever heard anything bad about the guy. I have always heard he was well liked and a good fireman. Outside of that, I just don't know.

I can also say from recent personal experience that the news stories here, and most likely everywhere, have less to do with accuracy and more to do with sensationalism. I would not doubt it at all if there was more detailed information as to how this came about and purposefully omitted from the story.

Robert,

As you know, it pains me bad to hear about this there or anywhere else as well.

There are slugs and imposters in every fire department. It may be at the top or somewhere along the chain.

Members know who they are and sometimes they are called out and sometimes they may be terminated.

Don't let these want-a-bees ruin your career.

Usually they will self terminated themselves.

This is as pathetic as these morons.

It's not just SEALS. But any number of folks who claim to be POW's, MOH, or other elite force troops.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information