New PIO in Need of Assistance
I am a 3rd year volunteer firefighter in rural southern Ohio, and also a newly minted Public Information Officer, and boy do I have a ton of questions! I'm hoping that some of the more experienced PIOs out there can be of assistance. For the sake of clarity I'll just use numbered questions.
1. Does anyone know of any templates for reporting to the media? The job description states that I am supposed to make a report to the local newspaper, but I haven't settled on a template. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if there is a good template out there.
2. Do I have to have a release signed by the home owner to release information to the media, and if so what information can I release?
3. I'm currently working on our website (www.nilefd.org) but I am not seeing much traffic, or even an active interest from members of the department in using the email server or online report filing system. Any ideas how I can spark more involvement?
4. I'm also using more social media (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and Ushahidi) to help build a delivery method for Fire Prevention Programs, but yet again not seeing nearly the traffic necessary to make the effort equitable. Any remarks on how your department uses Social Media?
5. What efforts has your department made in PIO operations? We are utilizing the PIO in the form of reporting to the public, as well as fire prevention an recruitment & retention? Is too much or not enough?
Any comments, ideas, remarks, would be greatly appreciated.