Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Spell Check and Other Tips - Please Read!

For those of you who are not good spellers, here is a tip.

As you type a word and it is not spelled correctly, a little red squiggly line appears under it.

This allows you, as you type, to note mistakes and make corrections. So there really isn't an excuse for spelling mistakes.

An Example: If you type "THIER", which is wrong.... the line appears under it. This is what that looks like:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

As for grammar. That I cannot help you with. We'll all just suffer through that.

Other tips for issues you all see on here that tee you off? Please post.

I'm thinking that easy instructions for quoting others would be helpful....
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

and for those of you who think that grammar, sentence structure and spelling are not important traits for a firefighter to have....some day you will have to:

-write an incident report or narrative as a company or even acting company officer

-write up equipment gripe sheets

-write up training requests or even your own training sheets for classes you may give as a senior firefighter

-write up EMS run sheets/narratives for EMS runs....

.............and the list goes on and on
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    and for those of you who think that grammar, sentence structure and spelling are not important traits for a firefighter to have....some day you will have to:

-write an incident report or narrative as a company or even acting company officer
    Or worse, written testimony in an investigation or court proceedings.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    For those of you who are not good spellers, here is a tip.

As you type a word and it is not spelled correctly, a little red squiggly line appears under it.

This allows you, as you type, to note mistakes and make corrections. So there really isn't an excuse for spelling mistakes.

An Example: If you type "THIER", which is wrong.... the line appears under it. This is what that looks like:
    And for God's sake, learn the proper uses of the words "there" and "their."

"The Ladder Company is over THERE.

"It is THEIR halligan bar."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thier doesn't appear to be a problem, other than the spell checker doesn't work in real time for me. That is, I have to click on the "spell check" icon above the smilies on the right side. (See attached.) Then it will check what is written, but it doesn't check as you type. Just because you see something in your browser it may not apply to all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

I have held classes on grammer and spelling. The goal of the class is not limited to just getting your firefighters to write better, but to also improve the way they present themselves to the community.

During the class, they are required to write a short report about an incident that they are given. They are then required to discuss it in front of the other students. We video tape it... and play it back for the class. Once they see how they handle themselves, we see huge improvements when they get to round two.

Most of us don't think about how we look to others. We don't think about how we speak and sound. But once we are faced with having to give a speech or stand up in front of our peers.... we freeze up and worry about what everyone will think.

When communicating with others, it is important to understand that our words, and how we use those words, tell others much about us. If you use poor grammer, then others may assume you are under-educated and therefore not knowledgable. This can hurt you when trying to get a raise, promotion or a job. But if you understand how to maximize the power of words, you will do well.

We teach firefighters to speak directly, respectfully and at an even pace. This has much more power than a guy rattling off a sentence as fast as he can without thought. Who would you take serious?

Food for thought...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

My biggest peeve on message boards is people that type without any punctuation or paragraph spacing. It makes their post difficult if not impossible to read. Example below:

my biggest peeve on message boards is people that type without any punctuation or paragraph spacing it makes their post difficult if not impossible to read example below

tcd
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    As for grammar. That I cannot help you with. We'll all just suffer through that.

Other tips for issues you all see on here that tee you off? Please post.

I'm thinking that easy instructions for quoting others would be helpful....
    Lack of capitalization and missing or incorrect apostrophe use is something that I see lot of. Here are some tips:

I am = I'm (not "im")
    It is = it's
    Belonging to it = its

Ex. I'm sure that it's a dangerous thing to stick a fork in a toaster if its cord is still plugged in.

However, the possessive of the singular noun "truck" would be "truck's", not "trucks". If the noun is plural or ending in an "s", then add the apostrophe at the end.

Example:

He noticed that the first truck's braking system required maintenance before discovering that all of the trucks' brakes needed repair. Mr. Jones' maintenance crew was going to be busy that weekend.

One last tip:

It's "Ridiculous", not "Rediculous". I see that one misspelled probably more than any other word.

Never begin a sentence with a lower case letter.

Don't begin sentences or statement with the word So or Like. It sounds as if you didn't make it through your English class in middle school.

Learn how to construct a letter by using proper sentence structure and please use paragraphs when writing as it sure makes it easier to read.
    When I see some in here that don't use paragraphing phrasing, I won't waste my time reading that run around mess.

This is a novel idea for those who have hard time writing, spelling and the proper use of grammar.

Open a new document file and type what you want to say. Do a spell and grammar check, to be sure the words are spelled correctly and your grammar is proper.

Highlight all which you have written, copy and paste in a reply page for the subject which you are adding too.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

-write up equipment gripe sheets

-write up training requests or even your own training sheets for classes you may give as a senior firefighter

-write up EMS run sheets/narratives for EMS runs....

.............and the list goes on and on
    You might want to take your own advice

Dis tread will not make the webteam cut becuz it aint gots nuttin ta do wit fire stuff you guys are jus a bunch a complaners lern to reed and rite stay in skuul it is better that way i dont care how some of these jabroni come in here it jus jibberish to me if you have read this far you are my hero i just hope you can read our educational system is failing us I blame the onions becuz they take all are money and kids dont care or they our to lazy if you have read this far you are closing in on epic trooper status I know a guy once who use too rite with his feet because he loose his arms in a disarmament and he rite better then half of the chupacabras in here if you have read this far you are the ultimate forum champion of patients to be able to rite good you must first beable to understand bad writing
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Thier doesn't appear to be a problem, other than the spell checker doesn't work in real time for me. That is, I have to click on the "spell check" icon above the smilies on the right side. (See attached.) Then it will check what is written, but it doesn't check as you type. Just because you see something in your browser it may not apply to all.
    Thanks for your expertise in antique browsers.

The point is that you don't have to live with poor spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Dis tread will not make the webteam cut becuz it aint gots nuttin ta do wit fire stuff you guys are jus a bunch a complaners lern to reed and rite stay in skuul it is better that way i dont care how some of these jabroni come in here it jus jibberish to me if you have read this far you are my hero i just hope you can read our educational system is failing us I blame the onions becuz they take all are money and kids dont care or they our to lazy if you have read this far you are closing in on epic trooper status I know a guy once who use too rite with his feet because he loose his arms in a disarmament and he rite better then half of the chupacabras in here if you have read this far you are the ultimate forum champion of patients to be able to rite good you must first beable to understand bad writing
    Jabroni... Schmuckatelli...

Thanks for nothing. Wish I had these names before I had kids.
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 12-23-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Default Grammar

Those of us with antique browsers like myself...think and read your article before you send....with words like way instead of weigh, pear and pair, etc. They are called Homophones and spell check will not pick them up and only send them on their way. Another act for me that makes me boil is when your sentence calls for and I and it comes through with a small i...example i've had a bad day or i went to the Fire Station. Granted I was no English Major but these are some of the things that make me say "Are you kidding me.?"
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Then we have the iPhone with it's eternally frustrating auto correct. Gotta love it. Not to mention the tiny touch keys on the screen, haha.

tcd
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Then we have the iPhone with it's eternally frustrating auto correct. Gotta love it. Not to mention the tiny touch keys on the screen, haha.
    It's "its", not "it's".

Alas, it's cell phones/texting that get a large amount of the blame for our fractured grammar. Gotta keep it under 140 characters, donchaknow, and capitalization and special characters mean another keystroke or two.

AT THE OTHER END OF THE CAPITALIZATION SPECTRUM ARE THOSE WHO JUST HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY AND TYPE AWAY.

One wonders how kids are graduating from high school with apparently limited writing skills - oftimes reminiscent of grade school. Times must have changed - a composition like some I see on forums such as this would come back from the teacher with two pens worth of red marks.

As Jay points out, re-reading your composition before hitting "send" is important. What you meant to say, and what you actually wrote may not be the same thing. I've been known to re-read a post, then hit "cancel" instead of "submit."
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Alas, it's cell phones/texting that get a large amount of the blame for our fractured grammar.
    Ain't that the truth...

One wonders how kids are graduating from high school with apparently limited writing skills - oftimes reminiscent of grade school.
    Grade school writing would often be an improvement. This, or course, reminds me of one of my favorite online ironies when some yahoo writes:

Your stupid.

I mean, is there anything better than making a 3rd grade grammar error when insulting someone else's intelligence?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tcd View Post
    It's "its", not "it's".
    Whoops, gotta take the hit for that one, haha. My reference towards auto correct was misspellings and out of place words. Oh well.

Thread Information