Forum Member

Default Chain Saws vs Rotary Saws

Which do you prefer.. and please list what brand as well as chain and saw blade brand and style ie partner with a warthog blade for everything (just for example)

Thanks

Forum Member

Depends on what I am doing......if it's a simple residential or lightweight commercial wood plank/deck/shingle roof, can't beat a Cutters Edge Saw with the bullet carbide chain.

If it is some kind of rotary saw work, I prefer a Partner K700A with the Warthog blade, or other appropriate blade for the work (carbide for metal, abrasive for masonry.....)

For larger needs, jump up to the Partner K950A.

Saw I HATE: any Stihl ROTARY saw. They are all too big, heavy and bulky IMO for fire service work. Stihl chainsaws are ok, when properly used.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CAFS MAN View Post
    Which do you prefer.. and please list what brand as well as chain and saw blade brand and style ie partner with a warthog blade for everything (just for example)

Thanks

Try here. http://www.firehouse.com/forums/sear...archid=1151896
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Depends on what I am doing......if it's a simple residential or lightweight commercial wood plank/deck/shingle roof, can't beat a Cutters Edge Saw with the bullet carbide chain.

If it is some kind of rotary saw work, I prefer a Partner K700A with the Warthog blade, or other appropriate blade for the work (carbide for metal, abrasive for masonry.....)

For larger needs, jump up to the Partner K950A.

Saw I HATE: any Stihl ROTARY saw. They are all too big, heavy and bulky IMO for fire service work. Stihl chainsaws are ok, when properly used.
    Fooking Lightweight. I weigh LESS than you and I'd agree with the following EXCEPTIONS: We run a Stihl 550 Rotary with a Diamond blade, a K960 with a Warthog and a CE 20". For the majority of our roofs,make it the 'Hog. CE is a better utility/fits all saw and the Stihl has plenty of nut to run the diamond. The Stihl was bought for me over 20 years ago by Chief Barker when I asked him for a better vent saw. It's been a reliable saw that has ALWAYS done the job it was bought for. NO,it isn't light but always starts and always works. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    NO,it isn't light but always starts and always works. T.C.
    If I'm monkeying up and down ladders, on and off peaked roofs, etc. I'd really prefer NOT to have the boat anchor.....And besides, when properly maintained and fresh fuel rotated in, the Partners always start...

Forum Member

See above. Operated with the 550 in ALL those conditions for many,many years. It's not THAT much worse than the 960.Merry Christmas,looks like WE are gonna break the Jinx. T.c.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    the link says "sorry no matches" what was it about or is there a backdoor in?

Forum Member

For residental - hands down cutters edge chain saw with the bullet chain. I prefer a chain saw over a k saw for weight and reach. Flat roof espically commercial -I prefer a K saw. Best bet is keep your eyes open for buildings scheduled for demo - have you a release and your dealers phone # handy and go to town.
    ?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My #1 POC FD has a Stihl fire rated chain saw, and a Stihl fire rated rotary saw. They both work fine, although if I had my way I would take the depth gauge off the chain saw. I find them a crutch for people that can't handle a chain saw.

My #2 POC FD has a Cutter's Edge chain saw. I am a great fan of Cutter's Edge chain saws.

My truck on my career FD has a Cutter's Edge with no depth gauge, a Stihl chain saw for removing down trees in the road, and a Husqvarna Rotary saw.

Our rescue pumper has an old Stihl rotary saw and while I agree those old beasts were heavy as heck, the newer ones are much lighter.

I agree with FWD, choice of saw depends on the task.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Best bet is keep your eyes open for buildings scheduled for demo -.

This is one example of why it is important to maintain a good relationship and communications with your local Building Code Official/Zoning Official/Building Inspections Office- they are the ones issuing permits for demolition, and can easily coordinate training opportunities between you and the demo company/property owners. I waive all demo fees if the demo company/developer agree to let the FD "have at it." Anything goes except combustion of any kind inside the building- you can smash and bash to your heart's desire. Cut holes, trench the roof, open walls & ceilings, open floors, take out windows.....FAST/RIC drills, you name it, it's fair game.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink And...........

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    This is one example of why it is important to maintain a good relationship and communications with your local Building Code Official/Zoning Official/Building Inspections Office- they are the ones issuing permits for demolition, and can easily coordinate training opportunities between you and the demo company/property owners. I waive all demo fees if the demo company/developer agree to let the FD "have at it." Anything goes except combustion of any kind inside the building- you can smash and bash to your heart's desire. Cut holes, trench the roof, open walls & ceilings, open floors, take out windows.....FAST/RIC drills, you name it, it's fair game.

Would you happen to know anyone in this field?? ......... Sorry, I couldn't pass that up..... Seriously, we've chopped up a few from time to time, and it is the kind of training that is hard to get otherwise. Your comments about different Saws for different jobs is right on the money, we carry 2 Chain, 3 Rotary, 3 Battery Recip, and a Skilsaw and each has a specific blade for a specific purpose. And yes, take the depth control off the Cutters Edge and chuck it. Teach your people how to use the Saw properly and they will be OK. Plus, you will have a Saw that could change roles in the middle of an operation without any problems.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Would you happen to know anyone in this field??
    Nah. Them building inspectors are all pains in the asses.

Forum Member

For ventilation we carry 2 Cutters Edge saws with bullet chains, no guards, for peaked roof ventilation and 1 Partner 950, 12", with a 24 tooth carbide tipped blade for flat roof ventilation.

For forcible entry we carry 2 Partner 950, 12" , and 1 Husqvarva 1200, 14" , all with Husky diamond tip blades.

Forum Member

I like the Stihl brand, I don't think you can go wrong with one of their saws. As for all purpose blades, I like the D'Axe blades. Warthogs, I'm not a fan. Definitely carbide on any fire service chain saw.

Forum Member

I was three years convincing my Boss to buy a Warthog. Guess who is a BELIEVER now? Warthog is a GREAT blade,especially for wood/shingle or composites. T.C.

Forum Member

I was three years convincing my Boss to buy a Warthog. Guess who is a BELIEVER now? Warthog is a GREAT blade,especially for wood/shingle or composites. T.C.
    For departments on a tight budget.. they can get this warthog....

Hakuna Mattata!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post

Hakuna Mattata!
    When he was a young warthog...

WHEN I WAS A YOUNG WARTHOG!!!!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Cutters Edge chain saw's with Bullet chains for Pitched roofs. Rotary saw with Warthog blades (finally) for for flat roofs. Going to switch over to Cutters Edge rotary saws from Partner as they have been a lot more reliable.

Forum Member

Anyone have any expirience with replacing the regular chain on a Stihl saw with a Bullet chain or the like? We are a Stihl department, but the only fire service saw they make comes with a 20" bar. We like the 16" bars a whole lot more.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post

Hakuna Mattata!
    COMEON Gonz,you ain't gettin' schit out of THAT Warthog unless you wind the Guiness to him. Don't you watch the Movies? Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Anyone have any expirience with replacing the regular chain on a Stihl saw with a Bullet chain or the like? We are a Stihl department, but the only fire service saw they make comes with a 20" bar. We like the 16" bars a whole lot more.
    CAN be done,I haven't tried it. Our CE is a 20",I like it a LOT better than the 16",don't have to bend over as much. I believe that was a Mittendorf reccomendation as well( The 20"). T.C.

Forum Member

True story:

Back when Warthog blades first came out, and I was also the "go-to" guy on our company for anything saw-related, a fire equipment vendor got a hold of me wanting us to try one out, knowing we would be paying a visit to a soon to be demolished small commercial structure. I said "sure, send me a loaner blade, we'll give it a try." Few days later we got a brand new one still in the original, sealed box. I called the dealer and said "um, hey, you made a mistake, this is a new one, not a loaner." He repled "go ahead and use it, you wont send it back."

He was right!!!

Forum Member

We did it but we had to switch bars to the "Cutters Edge" bar. We don't use them anymore. Those things clogged with hot tar and tree sap really bad. We went back to regular carbide tipped chains. They are cheaper to replace and clogging is a non issue now.
    IAFF

Forum Member

YES. About 20 years ago, we were running a Stihl 038AV Magnum with a carbide chain. Kept loosing teeth. Couldnt figure out why. We started talking to fire service saw people, including Stihl, as well as Echo's R & D people to figure out why.

Stihl's people finally came back and advised that it was a simple matter of not enough velocity- their saw (not designed as a fire service saw) was not putting out enough horsepower at the shaft to be able to spin the chain fast enough to operate efficiently, which caused it to buck and break teeth off when the chain would contact a nail or other hard object. We had to eat a lot of carbide chains ($$) for a long time until Cutters Edge came out and then started selling their bullet chains. Again, saw would not spin the chain fast enough for the chain to operate efficiently, but the bullet shaped teeth and the overall design of the chain (including the way teeth were attached) allowed it to work better. Still lost teeth occasionally though. That was a tough saw, lasted for a long time. Now we run the Cutters Edge saws, which have Husqvarna power, engineered to run the bullet chain.

Forum Member

COMEON Gonz,you ain't gettin' schit out of THAT Warthog unless you wind the Guiness to him. Don't you watch the Movies? Hehe T.C.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89kk2JQo_zc
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information