Forum Member

Default KCK Hiring, questions

With KCK fire opening applications up, I was wondering if anyone on here was on the job there and could tell me a few things about what it is like down there assuming I could actually get hired...

As a medic, am I cursed to the box for the next 20 years? I love a good day on the ambulance every now and then, but not if it means giving up fires for good... and if so, do the medic units fight fire? or are they strictly there for standby.

what is the call volume like there? I noticed that there are a rather large amount of stations for a population of only 150k, are there actually busy companies with that good of staffing?

How much work does an "average" station get in terms of working fires, and what does it mean to be in a busy station down there, verses a slow station.

Residency requirement?

anything else you know would be important?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

Check out this link. It should answer most of your concerns.

http://www.wycokck.org/Internetdept....0&banner=15284

Click on Details at the right end of the Firefighter job listing and open the pdf file once it appears.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-26-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I have actually seen that already, and while it does answer all my questions about the hiring process, except for the residency requirment, it doesnt really tell me anything about the job itself... i.e. call volume, fires, and what the role of a new paramedic will most likely be on the job

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielb View Post
    I have actually seen that already, and while it does answer all my questions about the hiring process, except for the residency requirment, it doesnt really tell me anything about the job itself... i.e. call volume, fires, and what the role of a new paramedic will most likely be on the job
    You probably need to talk to a KC members about the stats. Some fd's put that stuff on their web pages.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't work for KCK, but I went through medic school at KCK Community College, did my ride-alongs with KCK FD and the EMS service they had at the time, and I was trying to get on there before I got on with Kansas City, so I'll tell you what I do know.

They are an excellent place to work, with a reputation for being old school, aggressive, interior attack oriented. They have a good strong union, a good station atmosphere without a lot of busy-work b.s., and a good-to-great pay and benefits structure.

I don't know how long you might expect to be on an ambulance or how they work that.

Geographically it covers a big area, with everything from a fairly small urban core of prewar midwestern woodframe homes to big stretches of rural farmland.

Of their stations, I would guess 5 or 6 are what you might think of as good working firehouses, all in the older eastern and northeast KCK area. Probably another 5 are pretty decent spots and several are very slow. For actual run numbers, I think their busiest companies are in the 2000-2300 calls/year range. I don't know actual working fire response volumes, but I'd guess their busiest companies maybe get 120 or so workers a year. Ballpark. Maybe some KCK guys have actual stats.

I don't know how they work the Pumper/Truck/Quint assignments. I don't know if that matters to you. From what I've heard, I don't think they are as big on strict division of truck/pumper work or things like vertical ventilation as we are, but I think they are closer to our end of the spectrum than 95% of departments in the country. They do run ALS pumpers, which is a big plus if you're a medic, I would think. Otherwise, KCKFD is pretty much like a big city department in spirit, attitude and tactics, but more like a smaller (population wise), sprawly, working class midwestern city in actual coverage area.

There is a residency requirement in to live in the county, which is very big, has nice housing options, from newish suburbs to funky older urban neighborhoods that border midtown KC to undeveloped rural hinterlands. Housing is cheap, property taxes are relatively high. There are a quite a few different schooling options depending on where you live.

In short, I think its every bit as good a place to work as 75% of large midwestern city FDs, and I would choose KCKFD over just about any other department in the under 300K population range that I can think of in the midwest.
    Last edited by chingon; 12-28-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Forum Member

Chingon thanks alot for the info, it helps alot. Now if there is anyone here who knows anything about how they run the ambulances that would answer all of my questions!

Forum Member

I am applying for the same, and in class right now. We do ride alongs w/ KCK. You are going to be stuck on the bus for 3 years according to the guys who I've worked with. Now I do not know this as fact, but it's what I've been told.

Forum Member

I currently work for KCK send me a PM with your email and then maybe we can setup a phone call if you need further assistance. Chingon had good information but I can tell you a little more about how the ambulances run.

AirForceJayhawk,

It is closer to 7-10 plus years on the ambulance and not 3.

Forum Member

It was previously 3-5 years from the guys who I know who've worked there for awhile, still hearing 5-6 years w/ some medics getting more time which would put ya in the 7+ area. Thanks again for all your help! Regardless it's a long *** time to be on that box. Also don't the EMT's and medics make the same amount of money there at KCK after awhile? I know medics top out faster, but then the EMT's cap out at the same which to me doesn't make sense.

Forum Member

You are correct it is a long time to ride an ambulance but it's a great city to work for and the pay is great. EMT and Paramedic eventually makes the same amount of money.

Forum Member

I don't get how they end up in the same pay grade, it doesn't reward you for the extra work and skill of being a medic. Regardless I would like to work for KCK and hope to get on this summer. There is some buzz that a few of us in the class might be able to finish out early.

Forum Member

well tested the written today... did fine on the reading comp, know I didn't miss any on math, just hoping the memorization didn't kick my butt too bad.

Physical agility tomorrow morning and then the wait begins... was very surprised at the lack of numbers for the job. For such a good paying department, it seemed like a small turnout. Only 26 of the 38 qualified applicants showed up.

Forum Member

Wow thats insane but your chances are good. Plus if you have military time you should be a shoe in. Let me know what you thought of the interview.

Thread Information