Thread: Chicago FD

Forum Member

Default Chicago FD

Moving to Chicago! Any speculation on when Chicago Fire will be testing again? What are the shifts?

Forum Member

it depends if you are looking to be on the fire side or medic side

Forum Member

I would prob say either one. Im neither right now . I am just wanting to get into it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rblad07 View Post
    Moving to Chicago! Any speculation on when Chicago Fire will be testing again? What are the shifts?
    Start reading.....

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75136 (Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006)

Forum Member

And this is the paramedic list thread....

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120844 (City of Chicago Paramedic List 2011)

Either way, it's very likely to be a while. Based on the past intervals between firefighter exams the past few decades, there won't be a new exam for another four or five years.

On the EMS side, a new paramedic list was just produced a few months ago and it will likely be four or five years until a new one of those is created. Again, based on previous instances.

It's Chicago, so you just never really know for sure what's going to happen, but it's fairly safe to say you're looking at a few years before anything new opens up on either side.

As for shifts, 24 on 48 off on the fire side, 24 on 72 off for the paramedics on the ambulance on the EMS side.

Forum Member

Paramedic side seems to open every two years or so. I know at least that's how it's been for the last 3 open periods. I heard this last one they had quite a bit more applicants than normal. When I got offered there was only 4xx people on the list.

Forum Member

It's going to be a wait.. Lol

Forum Member

My best advice would be to try for another fire department because the fire side should test around 2016 and then that's just the test for the fire side. The medic list was just released in aug 2011 so it won't be for another 4 years for that list. I am just giving you the straight facts.

Forum Member

Default new test !!!

Sorry to quench the fire on any hopes of a 2016 test ,but why would the department go through that process again when it has an eligibility list 18,000 strong and in 5 years only gone through bout 3000 of that ? I'm way up on the list 14,000 and trust me if they come calling in 4 years time i still wont hesitate to join!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever View Post
    Sorry to quench the fire on any hopes of a 2016 test ,but why would the department go through that process again when it has an eligibility list 18,000 strong and in 5 years only gone through bout 3000 of that ? I'm way up on the list 14,000 and trust me if they come calling in 4 years time i still wont hesitate to join!
    They retest to establish a younger pool of candidates. That's what the newspapers said when I tested in 2006. It doesn't matter how many are on the current hiring register.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    They retest to establish a younger pool of candidates. That's what the newspapers said when I tested in 2006. It doesn't matter how many are on the current hiring register.

So all the people currently on the list that are still under the age requirement come 2016 are just gonna be a.ok with a new test being conducted , younger pool ! sounds a bit like age discrimination , i smell another lawsuit coming on !! Don't believe everything that you read in the newspapers.

Forum Member

So all the people currently on the list that are still under the age requirement come 2016 are just gonna be a.ok with a new test being conducted , younger pool ! sounds a bit like age discrimination , i smell another lawsuit coming on !! Don't believe everything that you read in the newspapers.

ummm, who cares what the people on the list think? they dont matter the city will do what it wants to do. thats not age discriminatoin

Forum Member

That's the funniest thing i've read in a while.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Forum Member

Every other fire department in the state establishes a new eligibility list every two years, which if I'm not mistaken is a law. Chicago is exempt from this, so their list runs much, much longer than any other department lists. FDNY establishes a new list about every four years, and most big cities do the same. This is how fire departments work. It's not age discrimination, or any kind of discrimination of any sort. Hundreds, and sometimes thousands of people remain on a list unhired and unprocessed when a new exam is held and new list established. That's the name of the game and nothing new in the fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    That's the funniest thing I've read in a while. Why didn't the 10000+ guys left from the 1996 exam sue for age discrimination? It pays to be black nowadays
    Don't think you quite got my point. As far as I'm aware the city exhausted the 1996 list before they moved onto the current one, age discrimination would have had nothing to do with them as they didn't make the list in the first place because of the cut-off score, the black dudes that weren't smart enough to get the higher scores at least had enough brains to join that class action lawsuit as ****ty as it may have been, why the 10000+ that you said didn't sue i have no idea maybe they should have.My point is that come 2016 and I'm still under the age requirement if a new test was conducted for a younger pool I'll be pretty ****ed . Why have the age requirement at 36 if they end up just wanting younger candidates ?? And the gentleman saying that the city can do whatever they want ! they did that back in 96 also and how much did it cost the taxpayer !!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    Every other fire department in the state establishes a new eligibility list every two years, which if I'm not mistaken is a law. Chicago is exempt from this, so their list runs much, much longer than any other department lists. FDNY establishes a new list about every four years, and most big cities do the same. This is how fire departments work. It's not age discrimination, or any kind of discrimination of any sort. Hundreds, and sometimes thousands of people remain on a list unhired and unprocessed when a new exam is held and new list established. That's the name of the game and nothing new in the fire service.
    If chicago conducted a test every 10 years standard then no argument, my issue would be if they just decided to conduct one to form a younger pool of candidates then that is age discrimination !

Forum Member

does the chicago area accept proboard or IFSAC? Also, how hard is it to get paramedic reciprocity for Illinois?

Forum Member

I dont understand how they get away with testing every 10yrs. every other city in america test at least every 4 yrs. In most states its state law to test at least twice a decade. Has anybody ever challenged this?

Forum Member

There's no point in challenging anything. If a city doesn't give a set life span for a list, they can keep it as long as they want. Even if they set a timeframe, it can be extended. There's no reason to challenge this and it's not age discrimination. People that want to challenge these types of things and claim discrimination are the root of the problem.
    You didn't get in on the last test..... Wah! Suck it up and hope you meet the reqs. next go around. You're on the current list, but too far down to have a chance of getting hired... tough s**t. Prepare for the test next time and actually score high enough to get called to move on.
    The moral of this story is, if you want to blame someone else for your inability to get hired you're more than likely not cut out for the fire service to begin with with. Nobody wants to work with a cry baby that can't take responsibility for themselves.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skitahoe View Post
    There's no point in challenging anything. If a city doesn't give a set life span for a list, they can keep it as long as they want. Even if they set a timeframe, it can be extended. There's no reason to challenge this and it's not age discrimination. People that want to challenge these types of things and claim discrimination are the root of the problem.
    You didn't get in on the last test..... Wah! Suck it up and hope you meet the reqs. next go around. You're on the current list, but too far down to have a chance of getting hired... tough s**t. Prepare for the test next time and actually score high enough to get called to move on.
    The moral of this story is, if you want to blame someone else for your inability to get hired you're more than likely not cut out for the fire service to begin with with. Nobody wants to work with a cry baby that can't take responsibility for themselves.
    You obviously know nothing about the hiring practices of the CFD. It is not about preparation, or responsibility, or even having clout. They have reduced their hiring procedures to 2 things: timing and luck. I say timing because it is true that they only test once a decade. Lets say you're 17 years old and they hold a test. Well, you can't possibly even apply to the dept until the next test which will be when you're 27. Then lets say you pass the "7th grade level" test, but your RANDOM assigned number puts you in the middle of the pack. In that case you will not proceed to further testing until you are about 36 or 37 years old. By that time, you probably have already moved on with your life and the door to becoming a Chicago Firefighter never really opened for you. It is a f'ed up system that doesn't reward merit, but prevents it. Let's just hope we don't get sued!!!!!!

Thread Information