MembersZone Subscriber

Default Apparatus Age Question

Does anyone have the inside scoop on how the age of your existing fleet affects your chances to get past the computer phase when requesting an apparatus? Our single station, combination department submitted a grant request to replace a 25-year old open cab type 1 engine, and we already replaced a type 1 in 2007 with capital funds. I'm wondering if that will count us out before we get to the peer review. Thanks and good luck everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Age of Fleet

From my notes.

Average age of complete fleet 20 years.
    Age of equipment being replaced equal or greater than 5 years.
    "There's no such thing as a bad day,
    Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

Forum Member

It's mainly the average age of similar vehicles as well as the whole fleet as the secondary consideration. So those that run EMS transport won't have newer ambulance ages counted against them when going after a new pumper. Or a new brush truck won't kick a pumper app to the curb either. Apples and apples, with a slight bit of oranges (whole fleet average) if a head to head comparison comes into play between two apps.

Forum Member

If that's the case, our surplus military trucks should help our overall average.

Forum Member

They do. Especially if going after wildland/brush buggies to replace those.

MembersZone Subscriber

As will the old piece of junk truck you parked out back and have not gotten around to selling.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

In that case I'm gonna include our 1933 Dodge parade engine next time!

Forum Member

Unless those antiques or junks are responding on a regular basis , the reviewers will see through that scam

Forum Member

we are trying to replace 1 of our 2 1976 open cabs , anybody have a majic wand

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    It's mainly the average age of similar vehicles as well as the whole fleet as the secondary consideration. So those that run EMS transport won't have newer ambulance ages counted against them when going after a new pumper. Or a new brush truck won't kick a pumper app to the curb either. Apples and apples, with a slight bit of oranges (whole fleet average) if a head to head comparison comes into play between two apps.
    This brings up question. We will be considering applying in the coming year or two to replace our 1985 open-cab engine (1500/500). We run a 1997 75' quint (1500/400) and an '07 mini-pumper (750/300) however due to the specs both the last two fit into the 'Engine or Pumper' class under the Fire Department Characteristics (Part II) Type or Class of Vehicle application. Does that mean that FEMA will consider our quint and mini as similar apparatus to our engine and thus our application wouldn't be as highly considered?

MembersZone Subscriber

Like I said, our grant was to replace an open cab engine that responds locally in a very high wildland fire zone and statewide to California's wildland and urban interface fires. I was very pleased with my narrative and if anyone wants to take a look I'll send it to you. It lost a little something when I had to break it up for the new application format, but it seemed sound to me. I'm more concerned that the age of our other type 1 will get us kicked out at the computer phase. Anyway, if you want a look see email me at m.gallagher@csfd.net. Good luck everyone and thanks for all of your help. I think it speaks highly of the fire service that there's so much help available on this forum. MG

Forum Member

KOA74, the quint would be considered a pumper, you could drop the mini into the Quick/Brush attack category even with the 750gpm pump. That's what the advice from the program folks has been in the past, pickup chassis and 2dr commercial minis that have 750gpm and small tanks are more like brush than structural trucks. So the 2007 will only hurt from an overall fleet age standpoint, not as a newer truck in the same category.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Thread Information