Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Moonshiners star is a volly

Well, volunteer firefighters are dedicated. Why, the star of "Moonshiners" on the Discovery channel even interrupted starting up his illegal still to respond to a structural fire call (turned out to be false). Apparently he is either a Captain or a chief (they didn't say specifically and he was wearing either a Captain or Chief helmet -- they showed shots of both).

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

He's the Chief of the Climax VFD in Pittsylvania County, Virginia. He's well known as an expert in moonshining, but there is no moonshine being made on the show at all, it's all re-inactments.

A friend of mine serves as his Assistant Chief.

More info, courtesy of the Fire Critic (Rhett Fleitz): Fire Chief Tim Smith Stars in Show about Moonshiners in Virginia.
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 12-28-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Pretty cool story.

When you look close and see the 1977 American LaFrance 1250/500 pumper, she came from Richmond and served very well at Engine 19.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

FAKE FAKE????

A reality show that is fake???

Say it ain't so

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    He's the Chief of the Climax VFD in Pittsylvania County, Virginia. He's well known as an expert in moonshining, but there is no moonshine being made on the show at all, it's all re-inactments.
    I just want a shirt that says Climax VFD..
    It takes the whole Co-Ed naked-thing from a few years ago to a whole new level..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    I just want a shirt that says Climax VFD..
    It takes the whole Co-Ed naked-thing from a few years ago to a whole new level..
    If you like that, then you will like a Tee saying Intercourse FD or maybe Blue Balls FD!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    If you like that, then you will like a Tee saying Intercourse FD or maybe Blue Balls FD!!!
    Can I get them both or is it an either/or thing?
    And do I have to get the IFD to get the CVFD shirt?
    -3dd

Great. The fire service being represented by someone engaging in illegal activity.

Would all those looking the other way be happy if he was making crack cocaine instead?

Despite all the winking moonshiners are criminals. Nothing more.

This contributes to why the fire service is not a priority to those who allocate funding for public safety.
    Last edited by scfire86; 12-29-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Okay, he takes it so seriously that he interrupted filming of his fake reality show to respond to a call....

While I don't have a problem with the way a lot of tv shows use re-enactments, it is usually done in such a way that it is very obvious that it isn't film of the actual event -- heck, I've been in one. But, if what we have here is folks just pretending to make moonshine without a very big disclaimer, I'm pretty disappointed in the Discovery channel.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Great. The fire service being represented by someone re-enacting a character for a reality show that portrays them engaging in illegal activity.
    FTFY.

I don't watch the show but it doesn't sound like his membership in the VFD is a huge part of the show. Overall I think this pales in comparison to some of the real life headlines where the service is portrayed.
    -3dd

Quote Originally Posted by auxman View Post
    While I don't have a problem with the way a lot of tv shows use re-enactments, it is usually done in such a way that it is very obvious that it isn't film of the actual event
    I was surprised just how many of those Discovery shows are re-enacted or completely fake. Dual Survival, for example. While it was obvious by the fact that the camera crew was present that things weren't as bad as portrayed, I still thought much of the situation was accurate (location, conditions, etc). Turns out much of it is staged and acted. Case in point the episode where they were in the "North Woods" of Maine yet walk the 2 miles to the coast. Turns out it was filmed at a couple state parks.
    -3dd

FTFY.

I don't watch the show but it doesn't sound like his membership in the VFD is a huge part of the show. Overall I think this pales in comparison to some of the real life headlines where the service is portrayed.
    What does FTFY mean?

I haven't seen the show either. I'm just dismayed that this individual is being embraced on this board by individuals who claim to be in the fire service. If he is shown making moonshine and is shown stopping to go respond, that is not a good representation of the image the fire service would want.

Secondly, it is one more reason that I have my beliefs the vollie system is a joke. That type of individual would never make it past the screening stage of a decent professional department.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

What does FTFY mean?
    "Fixed That For You"

Secondly, it is one more reason that I have my beliefs the vollie system is a joke.
    We know you think all volunteer departments are a joke. Why must you constantly remind us?

That type of individual would never make it past the screening stage of a decent professional department.
    I know, career firefighters are beyond reproach aren't they?! All attending church on their days off, helping children and the elderly across the street, counseling inner city youths, and never doing anything illegal for which they hope they'll never get caught. Goodness, I wish everyone realized that a paycheck = better than a volunteer.
    [/sarcasm]
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

What does FTFY mean?

Fixed That For You

Secondly, it is one more reason that I have my beliefs the vollie system is a joke. That type of individual would never make it past the screening stage of a decent professional department.
    I know you're anti-volunteer. In this case I think applying that here is a stretch. Neither of us has seen the show, to see if the CVFD is even mentioned or shown and if so, how. Similarly neither of us know enough about the individual to say one way or another.. The CVFD may be "decent" and "professional" and this individual may be a terrific leader and chief. The fact that his paying job is as an actor in a Discovery reality TV show has little bearing.
    -3dd

I haven't seen the show either. I'm just dismayed that this individual is being embraced on this board by individuals who claim to be in the fire service. If he is shown making moonshine and is shown stopping to go respond, that is not a good representation of the image the fire service would want.
    As far as representing the Fire Service, I'm much more concerned with the fact that Snookie's father was a volunteer firefighter.
    -3dd

As far as representing the Fire Service, I'm much more concerned with the fact that Snookie's father was a volunteer firefighter.
    Ok..that's funny.

I know you're anti-volunteer. In this case I think applying that here is a stretch. Neither of us has seen the show, to see if the CVFD is even mentioned or shown and if so, how. Similarly neither of us know enough about the individual to say one way or another.. The CVFD may be "decent" and "professional" and this individual may be a terrific leader and chief. The fact that his paying job is as an actor in a Discovery reality TV show has little bearing.
    I'm going on the initial post of this thread.

Well, volunteer firefighters are dedicated. Why, the star of "Moonshiners" on the Discovery channel even interrupted starting up his illegal still to respond to a structural fire call (turned out to be false). Apparently he is either a Captain or a chief (they didn't say specifically and he was wearing either a Captain or Chief helmet -- they showed shots of both).
    I don't care if he is a terrific leader. Al Capone was a terrific leader. Pablo Escobar was a terrific leader. Hitler and Napoleon were terrific leaders. It doesn't change the fact they were criminals.

I wouldn't want a criminal representing my former profession where I made it a demanded effort to always project a positive image to be emulated.

I don't care if he is a terrific leader. Al Capone was a terrific leader. Pablo Escobar was a terrific leader. Hitler and Napoleon were terrific leaders. It doesn't change the fact they were criminals.

I wouldn't want a criminal representing my former profession where I made it a demanded effort to always project a positive image to be emulated.
    And I'd probably agree with you if he was actually doing something illegal and criminal. He's not. Go read the article from the Fire Critic posted above.

From what I have seen on Facebook, it seems as though there are many people who think that Tim is running some huge illegal moonshine operation and was dumb enough to invite cameras behind the scenes…and then invite the cops as well. That isn’t the case at all. The show is about moonshining, the history, tradition, heritage, and everything else.
    “Nobody in the whole series was actually making any liquor, we wouldn’t allow that. If we knew somebody was making liquor they would have been in the next episode in handcuffs,” said Jesse Tate.
    -3dd

Thread Information