Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default needing help with specs

We are in the beginning stages of getting new turnout gear for our department and I need help with deciding on a outer shell material I was looking at the globe advance ultra does anyone have experience with this or any other shell or other brands that might be of use we manly run mva's with a few structures thanks

never mind. a lot of threads already here
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefight504 View Post
    We are in the beginning stages of getting new turnout gear for our department and I need help with deciding on a outer shell material I was looking at the globe advance ultra does anyone have experience with this or any other shell or other brands that might be of use we manly run mva's with a few structures thanks
    The outer shell "Advance Ultra", like most of the outer shell fabrics is not a product exclusive to Globe.

I don't have any direct experience using this fabric, however it was the outer shell selected in committee when specing our current TOG last year. We selected it because based on our research, it provided comparable performance to the PBI Matrix outer shell that we had been using, but would reduce our cost by around $100 per set since cost was going to be an issue.

Unfortunately, somewhere between leaving the committee and the gear being ordered, the outer shell was changed to the "Advance" fabric.

If you are mainly doing MVAs with limited fire duty, then the "Advance" fabric would likely be a good choice for you, particularly if you are looking to be economical.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    The outer shell "Advance Ultra", like most of the outer shell fabrics is not a product exclusive to Globe.

I don't have any direct experience using this fabric, however it was the outer shell selected in committee when specing our current TOG last year. We selected it because based on our research, it provided comparable performance to the PBI Matrix outer shell that we had been using, but would reduce our cost by around $100 per set since cost was going to be an issue.

Unfortunately, somewhere between leaving the committee and the gear being ordered, the outer shell was changed to the "Advance" fabric.

If you are mainly doing MVAs with limited fire duty, then the "Advance" fabric would likely be a good choice for you, particularly if you are looking to be economical.
    is the advance flexable?

MembersZone Subscriber

Do not go with Difco their stuff does not stand up and they do not stand behind it. Do lot let your sales person change your spec.

Forum Member

i am trying to stick with globe or mp or lion due to experence in them

MembersZone Subscriber

Difco is a fabric (crusader) is what we ended up with.

Forum Member

Ok thanks for the tip I want to keep my brothers safe that's why I came here

Just last year we spec'd out new turnout gear to start replacing the Janesville with Advance outershell that we had been ordering for 10 years.

We (the committee) decided to go with Globe G-Xtreme gear with an Advance outershell. Most of us preferred the PBI Matrix but cost was a factor.

The Advance works pretty well for us, we run a decent amount of fire and alot of accidents. Over the past 10 years the Advance has done very well for us.

We decided to go with Globe after trying some other manufacturers and everyone is EXTREMELY happy. The advance does not take very long to "break in" and get to be a little more flexible. I would also recommend if you can afford it to include the Silizone kneepads with Dragonhide covers and Dragonhide on the pockets. The kneepads are a godsend and with Dragonhide on the pockets we have prevented alot of hole from tools poking through peoples pockets.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    I would also recommend if you can afford it to include the Silizone kneepads with Dragonhide covers and Dragonhide on the pockets. The kneepads are a godsend and with Dragonhide on the pockets we have prevented alot of hole from tools poking through peoples pockets.
    I would strongly agree with this recommendation if you do select Globe, however will say that if cost is an issue, do whatever you can to fund the Silizone kneepads. It will be well worth it and everybody's knees will thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I would strongly agree with this recommendation if you do select Globe, however will say that if cost is an issue, do whatever you can to fund the Silizone kneepads. It will be well worth it and everybody's knees will thank you.
    I'd like to third the motion for Silizone knees....they are unbelievable.

Forum Member

I have added them to the spec out they sound amazing

In regards to Advance Ultra... We were interested in Advance Ultra during our turn-out spec process. We met with Mr Owens from Tencate (the mill that makes it) to get a better understanding of how it compares to the other fabrics (Advance, PBI, Millenia).

Advance Ultra is basically an Advance and Millenia blend. Millenia is very tough fabric and wears like it. Blending it with Advance makes for an economical and very strong fabric. Unfortunately the bad trait that Millenia brings with it is stiffness.

Therefore, I do believe that Advance is plenty strong enough for what you describe without needing the Millenia blend. You'll save about $100 a set and the gear won't be so stiff.

BTW, we ended up going with PBI Matrix mainly because the guys loved how flexible it was leading to better ergonomics. However, it does not have the abrasion resistance that Advance has and it is approx $200 more a set. So you must take that into consideration.

Also, we ended up going with Globe w/ the Silizone knees. They are great and you won't go wrong with them.
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 01-03-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Thread Information