Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thunderdome,

I know where you are coming from.

I have no obligations right now, so all I am focused on is getting a job somewhere I can stay for a very long time. I want to give my all and prove myself wherever I go. The dilemma for me was, as it must be for you, is taking the first offer and then having to bail out and not showcase your loyalty and awesomeness.

I was in your shoes for about two weeks and was stressing over it. I volunteer at a combination department and posed the question to the leadership, career guys, and my fellow volunteer ff's. The vast majority of them told me to take the first job I am offered and do what is best for me if I get offered a second.

People leave their positions after short periods all the time, for various reasons. If another fire department is a better fit for you, there is a good chance you will flourish as a person and as a firefighter there. Think of it as not doing yourself or your fellow wo/man justice for not reaching your potential.

Anyway, I didn't end up getting the job at the smaller department, which was kind of a relief. I didn't have to deal with any dilemma, although a funny story came out of it;

I took a fireteam test, and one of the guys I saw out of the 1500 people there was one of the officers who administered my written/cpat/interview at the smaller department spoken about above. We ended up having a 15 minute conversation over the phone and one of the things that came up was that we saw each other and this very topic about dilemmas and whatnot. He totally understood my position, and I understood where he was coming from too since he was there for a short period of time and already testing at other places. The longer I test, the weirder things get.

Basically, what it all comes down to, is go where life leads you. As long as you don't lie about your intentions, they can't hold it against you for going somewhere that will provide for a better existence. Keep it honest. Hope this gives you some perspective and helps out a bit.

If anyone disagrees with my sentiments. I understand most of the cons, but didn't post any of them... please post.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPJ1987 View Post
    i understand this and i have taken this into consideration but my family is #1 no matter what, FD #2. I have to decide whats best for my family.
    It sucks that you might be using the 1st dept as a career "back up" plan, but you have to take care of yourself and your family first. Take the first job offer and if the 2nd department offers you a job later you can decide if you want to change jobs. But I would not pass up a job for one you might not get.

Thread Information