Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Dilemma! Please Help

I'm in a dilemma and need some views... I've been told by a huge city department that I will start in the next academy which is in 2-3 months.. I've been called by a smaller department for a chief interview.. Hiring 2 with 4 interviewing.. I have nothing in writing from the big department, if giving a conditional from the interview, do I take it? Or wait for the big city? Please any views will help, thanks

Forum Member

To add to this story, the big department is the dream department, I'm about 99 percent sure they will take the next class, but what if they don't? I just don't want to take an offer from a small department and quit 2 months later, not sure what I would do.. Thanks again

Where will you happier and who has better pay/benefits?
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrYuk View Post
    Where will you happier and who has better pay/benefits?
    The bigger department is where I want to be, but big city means big politics and who knows if budget will shift

Conditional is just that, "conditional".
    Conditional that you pass whatever hurdles are left. For many departments that still includes the medical/psych and/or chief's interview.
    Do you have a timeframe from the smaller department or are they looking to hire within the next 2-3 months before the larger deparmtent?
    Don't stop either process until you have the final offer from one or the other, the unconditional offer.

Good luck!

Forum Member

The smaller department wants to hire within the next couple weeks, thanks for the insight

QUOTE=ffbam24;1312940]Conditional is just that, "conditional".
    Conditional that you pass whatever hurdles are left. For many departments that still includes the medical/psych and/or chief's interview.
    Do you have a timeframe from the smaller department or are they looking to hire within the next 2-3 months before the larger deparmtent?
    Don't stop either process until you have the final offer from one or the other, the unconditional offer.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Forum Member

I think it sucks but you gotta look out for yourself here and take the job that is offered. When/if the big city offers you the unconditional offer then you need to decide if it is worth you jumping ship.

Forum Member

It is not a good idea to start one department and than quit a few months later!!!!!

You might do the small dept interview and see where that takes you, and if they offer you a job decide at that point what to do. By that time the dream my have more info.
    we ask if you are testing for other depts and where you are at in the process

unless you can call the dream at some point and see if they will give you more info

Forum Member

i would have the interview and see where it goes. You might actually like the smaller department. You could always try to get on the larger department in the future.

Forum Member

I agree to take the interview, see if they offer you a job and then make the decision. Often these things take longer to process than anyone expects.

I was offered a job and was on the list with my dream department. I went and told my dream department I had been offered a position but I wanted to work for them. They hired me.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I got hired by a smaller dept which is half way across the country from my family while waiting on results of the somewhat larger city dept (also dream job).... i found out that i scored very high and will have a shot at the 1st class pending an interview and physical agility...eventually i may have to make a similar decision and i have been sleeping on it for months now..not that this helps you but just sharing my story. I guess im also looking for feedback but i know i have to weigh out the pros and cons but its tough.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPJ1987 View Post
    I got hired by a smaller dept which is half way across the country from my family while waiting on results of the somewhat larger city dept (also dream job).... i found out that i scored very high and will have a shot at the 1st class pending an interview and physical agility...eventually i may have to make a similar decision and i have been sleeping on it for months now..not that this helps you but just sharing my story. I guess im also looking for feedback but i know i have to weigh out the pros and cons but its tough.
    How long have you been with your present dept??

How long is the academy at the dream, or do they have one???

Forum Member

i have been with this dept going on 5 months (no academy here). My dream job has an academy which is about 6 months (18 month probie period) but i believe they shorten it up a little for the cadet's with EMT.
    I want to make this clear, i came to my current dept not knowing for sure what i got on the dream job test. I made the decision with a feeling i did well on the dream job test (i had taken it before and came u short on the interview the previous testing period. so i knew what to expect) Anyways i knew i would kick myself if i did not come here to my current dept and then not get on my dream job dept for whatever reason (layoffs, interview freeze ect). I found on exactly 2 weeks after being on this dept and currently waiting on background results which i have went through before. At first i was ready to go back home, now things have changed a little and im going to consider everything.Rumor is as early as March and as late as December for the first class, which is in the budget for the city.
    Last edited by JPJ1987; 01-02-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Forum Member

I usually tell people give the dept a year or off probation, whichever is longer

Hiring, training and rehiring , training costs a dept money

If the start date is dec, that might be good
    Last edited by fire49; 01-02-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Forum Member

i am not in a training program costing this dept or city any money, i was hired with the required training.

Forum Member

Nothing is for certain, especially in this day and age. Departments intend on hiring and something happens to change their course of direction. These things include budget cuts, current members changing their mind and not retiring, the City losing a lawsuit, as well as a host of other unforseen complications.

Follow the trail of both departments and see where they lead. In the end the choice is up to you. Ideally you have to make a choice of which department to choose. What a great "problem" to have.

The good news for you is that you have figured out what it is fire departments are looking for in an entry level candidate. Whatever you are doing.......don't change!

Good luck with your decision!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPJ1987 View Post
    i am not in a training program costing this dept or city any money, i was hired with the required training.
    It costs to hire someone, and than if they do not stay long for whatever reason, they have to pay out more money

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    Nothing is for certain, especially in this day and age. Departments intend on hiring and something happens to change their course of direction. These things include budget cuts, current members changing their mind and not retiring, the City losing a lawsuit, as well as a host of other unforseen complications.

Follow the trail of both departments and see where they lead. In the end the choice is up to you. Ideally you have to make a choice of which department to choose. What a great "problem" to have.

The good news for you is that you have figured out what it is fire departments are looking for in an entry level candidate. Whatever you are doing.......don't change!

Good luck with your decision!

What a great "problem" to have.

This is a great point that i have kept with me through my process. Good luck brother!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    It costs to hire someone, and than if they do not stay long for whatever reason, they have to pay out more money
    i understand this and i have taken this into consideration but my family is #1 no matter what, FD #2. I have to decide whats best for my family.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDome7 View Post
    I'm in a dilemma and need some views... I've been told by a huge city department that I will start in the next academy which is in 2-3 months.. I've been called by a smaller department for a chief interview.. Hiring 2 with 4 interviewing.. I have nothing in writing from the big department, if giving a conditional from the interview, do I take it? Or wait for the big city? Please any views will help, thanks
    Once you are offered a job some agencies will allow you to pass twice or more and still stay on the list. Yes, this is a risk but check it out when the opportunity arises.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information