Forum Member

Default Columbia Southern and Pikes Peak

Anyone have first hand, RECENT experience with either school? If so, PM me, I have a few questions. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

I tried to PM you, but my accout will not let me do PMs, even though my settings are set to allow PMs??? If you'd like, you can e-mail me at copeappraisals@bellsouth.net and I'll give some input from my reserach. I just finished my AAS in Fire Science and starting on my Bachelor's this semester.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wherever you choose to attend, make certain your agency recognizes it as an "accredited" school. Some (not saying the ones listed here) are NOT recognized. You would be wise to do your homework before applying.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We just had a big debate on this over on an IAFC forum. Like the others said, do your homework. I've never heard of Pikes Peak, but Columbia Southern is nationally accredited as opposed to regionally accredited. "Nationally" sounds better to most people, but in academia it's actually opposite. This may not cause you problems at all, and I understand a lot of people get what they're looking for from CSU, but just be careful. For instance, you would likely encounter difficulties in transferring your credits to a regionally accredited school for a graduate program (with the exception, I understand, of their partner Waldorf College). You also won't get in to the NFA's EFO program with a degree from CSU. If those two issues don't sound like things that concern you, then you may be just fine if their program meets your needs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by senatobiafire View Post
    I tried to PM you, but my accout will not let me do PMs, even though my settings are set to allow PMs??? If you'd like, you can e-mail me at copeappraisals@bellsouth.net and I'll give some input from my reserach. I just finished my AAS in Fire Science and starting on my Bachelor's this semester.

Try openfireacademy.org, they offer certification courses in all areas of fire courses/ FESHE/ and offer degree program as well. So in other words you can get both bangs at once at the same place, and you can study and do your work at your own pace. They are IFSAC and Pro-Board Certification but you can get dual for those through them and get a Regional Accredited college degree. 1-800-225-9567 or openfireacademy.org.

Forum Member

"Columbia Southern is nationally accredited as opposed to regionally accredited. "Nationally" sounds better to most people, but in academia it's actually opposite."

I have a buddy at the firehouse who is currently having to retake a lot of classes because they are not being recognized with our department.

Forum Member

I personally have not had experience with PPCC, however, growing up in the Colorado Springs area a few of my high school classmates went there. One earned his Associate's in Fire Science, he's now a FF/EMT at the United States Air Force Academy. Take that for what it's worth; but keep in mind, that's his only formal, post-high school education.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've heard good things about Pikes Peak. A kid I workin in Antarctica with, as a contract FF, went there for the fire program...he is from that area and he seemed to like it. I have to echo all the "national vs regional" thing as well.

CSU is a fairly cheap program, which sucks that some departments and cities don't recognize it. Many of the guys on my Department, currently, are with CSU and Waldorf. The like the programs, and say it is fair, but they don't rave about it usually.

Thread Information