Forum Member

Default Atlanta, GA is hiring -- closes 1/31

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/atl...b&jobID=405624

and here

http://atlantaworkforce.org/Programs...ghterInfo.aspx

Looks like you'll need to get your EMT-I within 6 months. I didn't think AFD did transport?

PPH
    Forum Member

Anyone know where to find the "AWDA Online Pre-Application?" I looked all over their site, throught all the menus, and searched for it on their site and Google...can't find it anywhere! What am I missing here??

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm missing something too, usually the neogov apps you can just hit Apply, but there is no option on this one... hmmm

MembersZone Subscriber

Nevermind, found it...

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure why ATL is requiring NREMT-I, as their advertisement puts it, within 6 months. There is no longer a NREMT-I certification. The old EMT-I's are being phased out per NREMT. New certifications are EMT, Advanced EMT and Paramedic. That's it now. I've noticed that a lot of depts in GA require EMT-I. I wonder if this is a state EMS cert.

Forum Member

The EMT requirement doesn't make sense to me either. I'm in the hiring class in front of this one and we are supposed to get our EMT certs while in the academy.

Forum Member

That pre application you have to fill out..Is it on the atlantaworkforce.org website homepage on the top left where it says REGISTER NOW AWDA On-Line Registration?

Forum Member

In other words, you need to have your NREMT before applying. The city dosent want to hire 40 or so people to train in fire and medical...and at the end of it all you may have 15 peolpe who passed NREMT. Three months of fire and three in Medical. So what they are doing is saying you need to have all certs before you even get in the field. Its alot of info in very short amount of time and that medical is not easy. Pretty much you will be during both at the same time.

PPH
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by janderson087 View Post
    That pre application you have to fill out..Is it on the atlantaworkforce.org website homepage on the top left where it says REGISTER NOW AWDA On-Line Registration?
    That's what I was thinking...anyone know for sure?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blazer View Post
    In other words, you need to have your NREMT before applying. The city dosent want to hire 40 or so people to train in fire and medical...and at the end of it all you may have 15 peolpe who passed NREMT. Three months of fire and three in Medical. So what they are doing is saying you need to have all certs before you even get in the field. Its alot of info in very short amount of time and that medical is not easy. Pretty much you will be during both at the same time.
    The problem with that idea is that they want it WITHIN 6 months. I would think that this would allude to an applicant not having to have the cert before actually applying. They just have to pass the test sometime after the academy. Right?

Forum Member

Call them and ask them. While NREMT is going away, Georgia still has an Intermediate level of certification. Although you may have to technically enroll on an NREMT-A class, the certification required will most likely be GA EMT-I.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

You do not need to have your EMT to get hired... They will put you through it. It will be for AEMT as there are no longer and EMT-I curriculums. They will put you through the AEMT program if you are hired.

Forum Member

The rumor is that the city cut pension plans to 1% every year earned and will match a 401k plan. Can anyone enlighten me on this if accurate?

Forum Member

COA extended the deadline until 2/24/2012.. Is that a good or bad sign for those that have already applied?

Forum Member

You'll be fine.. Last time they extended it as well because of the lack of applicants.

Forum Member

Does anybody know how many people they plan on hiring?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBack500Feet View Post
    You'll be fine.. Last time they extended it as well because of the lack of applicants.
    Atlanta had a lack of applicants last year? That comes as a huge shock to me because ATL looks like an all-around awesome department!! KeepBack500Feet, why is that? I am frickin stoked! I am just trying to figure out when I can take my COMPASS or ASSET test.

Forum Member

I am on the atlanta workforce website and I am unable to complete the pre employment application, anyone able to help? Also I have no idea what my ACT scores were, from back in the day so does that mean I would have to schedule to take their assest/compass test? I also have a degree in fire science where I took college math, does that make me exempt from taking asset/compass test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Atlanta had a lack of applicants last year? That comes as a huge shock to me because ATL looks like an all-around awesome department!! KeepBack500Feet, why is that? I am frickin stoked! I am just trying to figure out when I can take my COMPASS or ASSET test.
    Atlanta had a lot of people leave when the new cities in Fulton County incorporated a few years ago. As did Fulton County. There are a lot of former Atlanta and Fulton guys working for Sandy Springs, Milton, Johns Creek and Chattahoochie Hills now. They left for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cayden10 View Post
    I am on the atlanta workforce website and I am unable to complete the pre employment application, anyone able to help? Also I have no idea what my ACT scores were, from back in the day so does that mean I would have to schedule to take their assest/compass test? I also have a degree in fire science where I took college math, does that make me exempt from taking asset/compass test?
    If you have a degree I don't know why you would need to take the COMPASS test. If they make you do it anyway don't sweat over it. A half retarded gorilla could pass that test.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

GTrider245---- So you say those guys left for a reason, could you elaborate a little more on that for the rest of us? Also what is the pay like down there. I worked with a guy from Ohio who just got hired on with ATL, he was one of the guys let go from Dekalbs recruit class.

Also any of those depts you mentioned outside of ATL hiring?

Forum Member

Also will being an NREMT-P help out at all?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cayden10 View Post
    Also will being an NREMT-P help out at all?
    I'm not positive but you would think it would help. They said they base their hiring list off scores from your written and interview. I'm sure the CPAT times you get and also what qualifications you may have help as well.. Having your paramedic, you can get a 10% increase in your pay over there.

As far as why people may have left the department to go elsewhere, probably because of problems the department has. Every department has problems. They've left go people just like Dekalb has before. They say the 70 they want to hire in this round is grant money from the SAFER Grant. This runs out after two years I believe. So depending on the budget and the economy will dictate the jobs in a few years. Don't take my word into consideration.. As far as I know it, it's just rumor. Except for the SAFER Grant part. http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/atla...10-849009.html

MembersZone Subscriber

AFRD currently has 114 vacancies, 6 SAFER vacancies

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NHFD174 View Post
    AFRD currently has 114 vacancies, 6 SAFER vacancies
    Is that including or not including the 70 that just went through?

Forum Member

The pay in Atlanta is pretty good, Being a EMT-I or Paramedic will help. As to questions above Atl does not do transport but they have ALS and BLS engines.

Also check out city of East point Ga fire dept. and Columbus Ga fire dept. They don't pay the best but they are respectable depts

I will look around and post others as I find them.
    Bring enough hose.

Thread Information